Boosting ABV

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TomTwanks, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

What I am trying to achieve is a higher ABV without the lose of body within my porter. My buddies idea was LDME. This will me a extract brew ordered from northern brewer if that matters. What do you guys think?
    Thanks for looking.

2. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

Yeah I would just up the malt extract. Thats going to be the easiest way IMO.

3. warchez

warchez Zealot (533) Oct 19, 2004 Massachusetts

Adding more malt, in the form of DME or whatever, will certainly boost ABV. Keep in mind that depending on how much more you add it will also increase your FG. Especially, if you get carried away with it. That increase in FG will lead to a sweeter finish and maybe even more perceived body in the finished beer. Something you might not really want in your Porter (that's up to you). Depending on how much of an increase in ABV you are looking for, adding simple sugar will boost the ABV and it will have a lesser effect on the FG than adding DME. When kept with in reason (<10%-15%) of the total fermentables added you'll boost ABV and keep the final beer fairly close to the taste of the original beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.