Boston Beer Company & Dogfish Head Brewery Are Merging

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 9, 2019.

1. stevepat

stevepat Defender (653) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Indeed, as @MNAle said, my reading of the original article was that the pe buy out was just a side effect of the larger deal. The Jim Koch quote seems to imply that Sam proposing the deal and one of his larger investors wanting out are more intimately linked.

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (710) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The investor were paid $175 million in the deal on top of Sams $300 million and the around a million a year he and his wife get per year combined.

Does read like the deal only happened because the PE wanted to get their money

Enjoy

stevepat and drtth like this.
  3. stevepat

Trader

True that. Mystery may have been a bit hyperbolic. The dfh team may have just been ready to cash out and the first person Sam knew to call was Jim. It's good to have friends in the industry

4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,834) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I haven’t seen 60 or 90 Minute in forever here, wonder if SA contracts back a bit on the 1000 beers they seem to put on the market? Bring back the Boston Ale please, that I’ll buy.

5. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,301) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I wonder if LNK will try to invest another 100 million into something like Other Half or Tree House. It would be smart business but also the end for Soo many 16oz haze can breweries.

6. BamaScott

BamaScott Initiate (38) Jul 17, 2018 Alabama

Posted this in another old thread, but does anyone know why SA went to such generic ass packaging? I actually don’t mind it for brews like Boston Lager or other year-rounds as they aren’t festive beers. I don’t even mind it for Summer Ale, but I have seen the updated packaging for Winter Lager and have heard Octoberfest will follow the same design idea. I know it’s petty and doesn’t impact the taste, but what I always like about that time of the beer year is the festivity involved in the packaging. Anyone know why the generic direction was taken?

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,001) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

They still make Boston Ale. You can use their beer finder to see if it's near you.

8. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (487) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I've looked on their beer finder. It just doesn't make its way down here. Over the years SA has made some beers I really enjoy but they don't seem to stick around( Keller beer, Bonfire Blond, the Nitro beers). Most of the mixed packs contain one or two I'm just not interested in. SA seems to give up on a lot of beers. DFH seems to have some core beers they stick with and them some other that make an occasional appearance. I'd like to see SA be more like that model. Heck, even the Rebel series seems to show up in a mixed pack and I won't buy the session version nor the high octane one. I would love to try Boston Ale and I enjoyed Rebel when it first appeared down here but it is mostly a no show now.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (105) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I hope the power shift doesn't ruin their "friendship" or the beer. Still not seeing how this benefits either side but I haven't done enough research I guess.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  10. FatBoyGotSwagger

This balances out SA's portfolio. They were doing something like 75% cider and other beverages 25% beer. This brings them back to a normal balance for a "beer company."

stevepat and Beer_Stan like this.
  11. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (42) Feb 3, 2019 California

I'd like to see what "new" beers they are going to produce to compete with tiny micro breweries.
    I mean, these guys Jim and Sam know how to make great beers, so I am interested to see what some kind of "collaboration" comes about to do something special.

12. FatBoyGotSwagger

DFH has a bunch of amazing experimental beers on tap in their Brewery at any given time. They probably have houndreds of recipes they could scale up and distribute right now.

13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,784) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Wasn't nearly that extreme (yet) - based on the Brewers Association's 2018 stats for Boston (which obviously helped "influence" their latest updated "Craft" definition*):

BBC Beer - 1,900,000 bbl. = 44%
    BBC Total - 4,286,000 bbl. - so FMB/Seltzer/Cider = 56%

Of course, adding DFH's barrelage of 275,784 bbl. doesn't do all that much - bumping up "Beer" to around 48% of BBC's total barrelage.

#374 jesskidden, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  14. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,474) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Providing some confirmation that 99% of statistics posted on the Internet are made up on the spot.

@jesskidden is in that 1%.

15. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (166) Oct 6, 2004 California

So an "Independent Craft Brewer" can be an entity whose primary product is not beer. What a nonsense label.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  16. islay

islay Aspirant (265) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm sure there are tons of non-distributing (or lightly distributing) brewpubs all over the country that sell more food than beer. I'm not sure how having diverse revenue streams automatically makes a brewery "dependent."

beertunes likes this.
  17. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (781) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agree 100%. SA has been languishing in my opinion. DH should help give SA an edge and maybe some really great brews will be forthcoming.

18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,001) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ha, I see what ya did there.

MNAle likes this.
  19. jasonmason

Perhaps I should have made my point a bit more specific.

To me, it seems disingenuous for a business whose majority of spirits production consists of products other than beer to be considered under the umbrella of "Independent Craft Brewery".

20. stevepat

Trader

I sort of understand the frustration at the BA moving goal posts to make sure that sam adams gets to stay included, but isn't a business that makes beer (in addition to other alcoholic beverages) a brewery? And if they are making many styles of beer and are independently owned then why wouldn't they be an 'independent craft brewery'?

beertunes, Squire and jasonmason like this.
  21. jasonmason

Technically, you're correct. They are independent, and they are making craft beer.

It just sits wrong with me. But I'll concede that is a feeling, not a metric.

22. stevepat

Trader

it's definitely muddy waters and gives me some sympathy for the BA on this one, it's not really a cut and dried situation and it's to their extreme benefit to keep boston beer company in the fold.