Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Boston - Fenway Question

Discussion in 'New England' started by Mantooth, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mantooth

Beer Trader

I'm a Charlotte boy, vacationing for four nights in Boston July 18-22. I've read up on some of the must-do pubs & food in several other posts about the Boston area. I'm excited about hitting some good spots. I'm also excited that the Yankees will be in town that weekend and I want to pick up tickets for the Friday night game, 7/19. I see they aren't available through the Redsox site... long story short, what's my best option to pick up tickets - where are the best seats? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Fenway experienced folks - please help me out. I've never been to Fenway and the idea of seeing the Sox and Yanks there, well - I can't miss that.

Also - though it's been stated, if you don't mind recommending some great food & beer, please do.

Thank you all!

2. nootch23

I usually check out Stubhub.com or Aceticket.com. I prefer aceticket.com for some reason for which I don't know. As far as best seats go, its really what you prefer. I love sitting out in the bleachers in the outfield because not only are they the cheapest but usually the most entertaining. Most people will tell you Green Monster seats are the best but I've never sat up there. That's my two cents.

3. Leebo

Be prepared to pay $$$$ top dollar, these are the most highly coveted tickets all year. Monster seats are nice, good luck finding tickets. Try Boston Beer Works on Brookline ave for some good beer, but it gets really crowded, try to get there at least 2 hours before game time.

4. Auror

Beer Trader

Red Sox tickets haven't been selling out lately so you might have a decent shot to find some.... but on the other hand this is the Yankees. That being said, if you're desperate and don't find any luck on the 3rd party ticket sites, there will definitely be scalpers around.

5. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

You're better off finding a good seat at a bar and watching it on TV. You'll save $$ and probably drink better beer. If you just want to see Fenway, I believe they run tours, although I don't know if they do so when the Sox are home.

6. Leebo

The tours are really good, but they stop about 3 ? hours before game time.

7. bleakies

For the Yankees at Fenway, scalpers may be your only option.

Look for the guy with the big shorts and the chinstrap beard and the oxy addiction. He'll be scalping tickets on the street in Kenmore Square. You can't miss him because there's a dozen of him.

Dools9, JrGtr, dfecteau and 4 others like this.
  8. Mantooth

Beer Trader

Thanks for the advice. I've been digging around and there are tickets to be had, there will be five of us - which makes it tough, even when breaking the group apart it's tough to find 3 tickets to pair with another two so nobody has to sit alone. I see lots of 4 seats and 2 seats. Still some good stuff left in the right field boxes under $200 a pop. I'll never see these teams play again, likely - so now's the time.

I'll be staying at the Marriott Wharf on State Street - anything close to that food and beer wise I should wander over to?

9. jbertsch

"Who's buyin' who's sellin' who's buyin' who's sellin' who's buyin' who's sellin'..."

To the OP - Beer Works (fine-not great) and Yardhouse (chain, large tap list) are very close but extremely busy on game nights. Another option for food and beer in the relative area of Fenway is Sweet Cheeks BBQ. It's a little further walk but doable. It might be less packed on game night (only guessing...only been there once). But they have good BBQ - it's run by one of the contestants from the TV show "Top Chef", and their beer list is decent. Not an expansive lit, but they try harder than your average bar.

Dools9 and Ericness like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

Citizen Public House usually has a small, but well selected draft list. Something along the lines of Maine Beer Co. Peeper Ale, O'Hara's Irish Stout, Stone Levitation, a Pretty Things tap...etc. That's what I remember when I was there in March.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  11. MVP09

Beer Trader

You will over pay regardless of how you acquire tickets. Its Sox v yanks weekend series in the middle of summer with both teams at tip of division. AceTicket is best bet. Or scalpers if u got skills for talking a good price. I am pretty sure they still do day of game tickets. There is a line that forms on Lansdown 2hrs before game time. Season ticket holders sell their seat back. That option cuts into beer time though

Monster ticket are over rated. Technically they are obstructed view since you can't see left field unless you are 1st row. Best seats in house are on 3rd baseline. Be careful buying 1st baseline. You either won't be facing game or have the sun burning your retina out till the 3rd inning

12. MVP09

Beer Trader

Also standing room gets you in park

13. RKing44

Beer Trader

This is what I do, it's never failed me. Wait until the game is about to start and go to the ticket office windows. I've gotten tickets to every game I've ever done this for, including Yankees games. They have certain seats held and if they don't sell them, they are released on a first come, first serve basis once the game is about to start. I've gotten roof deck, Monster and dug out seats. Best part is, you pay face value, you won't pay what you would vs a scalper or 3rd party. If this fails though, my buddy does this. Watch about 2-3 innings at a bar, then find a scalper and he will be much more willing to negotiate since the game is 1/3 over. He can eat the tickets or recoup some money.

14. RKing44

Beer Trader

Also, IMO if cost is an issue. Ask for Green Monster Standing Room tickets. I believe they cost the same as regular standing room tickets, but you get all the amenities of the Monster seats (shorter food, bathroom and importantly beer lines). Plus when someone leaves the game, and they will, you can snag their seats. Best deal in Fenway for me.

15. BleepBloopBlap

These are your 2 best bets if you're up for them.

Lower Depths is a good option for beer/ $1 hot dogs. Eastern Standard is terrific for food/decent beer selection/people watching. Citizen and sweet cheeks are good as well. I personally have always enjoyed Yard House too. Stay away from Cask n' Flagon, Game On and Beer Works (just my 2 cents).

16. RKing44

Beer Trader

Cornwalls has stepped up their game too. Never that crowded and had $6.99 Sculpin pints. Nothing out of this world, but a solid back up if what mentioned above is mobbed.

17. omniscientcause

Say what? Ill have to check this out I live 2 blocks from fenway.

18. RKing44

Beer Trader

Don't trust their draft list online, looks like it was last updated in 2009. But was there last Thursday and was thoroughly impressed seeing as it isn't a major player in craft beer.

19. omniscientcause

Ive never been because of their online taplist. I grow tired and angry with YH because for someone who carries 5 year round releases of a beer, and dont carry seasonals from the same brewery doesnt make any sense to me.

20. ommegoodness

Beer Trader

Whatever you do, don't pay that kind of price for anything in the reserved grand stand between sections 1-10 - you don't actually face the infield, you are likely to be far away, and also likely to have a post between you and some significant part of the field. Along those lines, be wary of all reserved grandstand seats above row 2, and don't take anything actually designated as obstructed view - you really can't see from those seats.

In terms of beer near the park, your best bets are Lower Depths (plus dollar hot dogs and tater tot poutine), Citizen Public House, Eastern Standard, and Tasty Burger, which has a good line of canned craft beers and some other good stuff on tap (and solid burgers, etc.).

By your hotel you are very close to the North End, which is not a great beer destination and can be very crowded with tourists among hit or miss Italian restaurants. Ducali is a pizza place on Commercial St. near the Charlestown bridge that generally has a good albeit small beer list (and solid pizza). Canoli from one of the bakeries are good, but lines get long.

That said, on Salem St. you will find Neptune Oyster Bar, a tiny place with the best raw bar, lobster rolls, and other fresh fish you will find anywhere in Boston. They don't take reservations and they are very small, but put your name on the list, take a walk or grab a drink somewhere else, then come back and get couple dozen oysters and lobster roll with warm butter and you will be in heaven (and I don't even love fish).

Hiwattowner likes this.
  21. DerekMorgan

Beer Trader

For tickets I suggest StubHub, I've always gotten great prices on there. Don't buy monster seats they're $500+ each and it's almost exactly the same view as section 34 where tickets go for $10 against crappy teams. Cheapest ticket for that game right now is around $40 so they aren't outrageous.

Definitely pop into Eastern Standard for a beer, the managers go up to VT and bring back Heady every few weeks so you might get lucky. Or jump in a cab and go to Sunset Bar and Grill in Allston (not Sunset Cantina). It's less than 10 mins away from Fenway and they have hundreds of bottled beers and over 100 taps.

It sounds cliche but Regina's in the North End makes a damn good pizza. Don't go Friday night after the game though, you'll be waiting at least an hour. Bleacher Bar at Fenway is a good spot to get dinner before the game, it's inside the Green Monster and they have a garage door that opens up during batting practice and you're pretty much on the field. It's a very cool spot.

Enjoy Boston, cheers!

lhteacher likes this.
  22. jbart

FYI: There is a Regina Pizza next to Citizen Public House now.

23. acousticidiot

I second the calls for Citizen's Public House, Lower Depths (cash only), Eastern Standard, & Sunset Bar and Grill in Allston for beer bars. Given where you're staying, I'll also throw out Stoddard's Pub as a possibility. For authentic dive beer bar that's halfway between where you're staying & Fenway, check out Bukowski's.

24. jbart

I agree with most of the suggestions above: Lower Depths (my personal favorite), Eastern Standard (more upscale restaurant), Citizen, and Tasty Burger would be my top picks for near Fenway. Yard House is a chain, but not too bad, especially if you are outside. Downtown, I'd go to JM Curleys.

At Fenway, the bleachers are generally far from the action and have a more party atmosphere than other places in the park. So, if you want to actually watch the game, you might opt for other seats. Everywhere is rowdier during Sox/Yankees anyway, though.

25. bleakies

I work next door to Cornwalls and my colleague and I step in a couple of times a week for some quick afternoon pints. Most of their taps rotate and I don't think they've got Sculpin on right now, but they've always got a number of options that I'm perfectly happy to drink. Great staff, too.

(If I were looking for a much more expansive beer list, I'd probably go to the Lower Depths instead.)

RKing44 likes this.
  26. DougC123

Subscriber

If you were going in October you'd only have to worry about your beer questions, the Sox don't play much in October :)

Providence likes this.
  27. SunDevilBeer

Whatever u do don't go to Lower Depths unless you:

1. Like hipsters
    2. Like overwhelmingly loud music
    3. Like paying cash (no plastic accepted)
    4. Can put up with attitude from servers & don't mind being ignored
    5. Don't mind short poured overpriced drafts

If these things don't bother you....LD all the way!

28. BleepBloopBlap

It's funny because its true

29. kinopio

It is the most expensive craft place in the city but it also has the best selection near Fenway and I make up for the expensive beer with $1 veggie dogs. Its a good place for an out of towner because they always have good local beers.

Standing room only tickets are a good idea if you are with a large group. They will be cheaper and you can all be together. Just get to the game early so you can get a good spot.

30. smutty33

They now sell Smutty "Finestkind" inside the park.

There you go.

Cheers

Mantooth and kevdemers like this.
  31. bleakies

I like the Lower Depths, but as the poster above suggests, there may be other patrons there who aren't as overweight as you are, there may be young-people's music playing, and you will indeed have to pay cash.

I've never been ignored or experienced "attitude" from the staff but that almost never happens to me anyway because I'm either an exceptionally lucky guy or politeness counts.

mmcgrath likes this.
  32. bramsdell

Still haven't been to LD, but are you sure you haven't confused it with Bukowski's? Or did LD just steal their business model?

33. rknrll

Same owner.

34. SunDevilBeer

LD & Buk's have the same owner. That's why it's the same scene.

35. bramsdell

Makes more sense.

36. SunDevilBeer

Gee, I didn't know there was a prerequisite to being treated like an actual paying customer at LD. I will keep your comments in mind the next time I walk past LD when in the area & thirsty.

37. bleakies

Cross the square and hit Cornwall's. Fewer but generally solid options, a friendly, less boho staff, and you can pay with plastic and shoot pool.

38. SunDevilBeer

Yes - Cornwalls is a pleasant place in Kenmore...becoming my go-to place to pregame.

39. Mantooth

Beer Trader

I picked up five seats together in the front row in center field. Hell and gone from the action but a nice view of the park, and cheaper seats. A rowdy crowd should make for a good time, imo. Seats closer to the bases were crazy pricey and broken up in a way that made it impossible to get my group of 5 together. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake with the seats. Maybe we'll be able to move around if the crowd thins out? Bottom line... I'll be in Fenway for a Sox v Yanks game!

Thanks for all the suggestions on food and drink. We'll have a car and we're not afraid to do some driving to check out other great areas.

DerekMorgan likes this.
  40. Hiwattowner

Subscriber Beer Trader

You'll have a great time. Also, concession area behind the bleachers is one of the best in the park.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe