Boston in March.

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Flashy, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashy

Flashy Devotee (493) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Hello. Am heading to Boston in mid-March. Any suggestions on hotels and breweries. Thank you in advance.

2. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Do you have any more details...how long will you be staying, will you have a car, which part of Boston were you looking at staying in...?

A lot of variables before people start telling you to drive out to Tree House or places within city limits.

3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

It's really hard to recommend anything now with the changes in capacity and COVID regs. Many places are closed or require reservations to drink. That might be different in a month. But, prepared to make a plan/timeline rather than expect to bar/brewery hop.

That said, there should be hotel deals aplenty. Is there somewhere you need to be for work or otherwise? Will make a big difference on the hotel front.

Apathetiq likes this.
  4. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (522) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yes, the ability to be able to do anything other than pick up beer to go may be greatly impacted by what the weather is like when OP is down. The trend the last week or so is that winter is not leaving easily...

5. Flashy

No car. Just staying downtown and looking for anything within a mile or two, from a yet to be determined hotel. A pleasure trip, not work. Probably Sunday thru Friday (I see St Patricks Day falls on that week, might be interesting).

6. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm not sure how much luck you're going to have given those parameters. As @EnronCFO mentioned above, I'm wouldn't expect much to change in a month in regards to restrictions due to the pandemic. You're not going to be able to bar hop around the city given the limited range you've given.

As far as I know, the major St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston is cancelled again this year and it's unlikely there will be any other festivities occurring given pandemic.

Others may have actual options/suggestions, but I would say it isn't the best time to take a weekend pleasure trip to Boston.

Good luck.

parg0 likes this.
  7. redbill

redbill Initiate (25) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

place an online pickup order at Fort Point Market. go back to Hotel and drink in your room all weekend. emerge occasionally to pick up pizza delivery in the lobby.

bostonwolf, parg0, Stormfield and 9 others like this.
  8. Flashy

Thank you.

MattOC likes this.
  9. fortpointmarket

fortpointmarket Initiate (33) Apr 15, 2020 Massachusetts

I would suggest staying at the Hyatt Seaport, good pricing going on now and awesome views by the water. Accessible to our store within 10 minute walk or we can deliver to your hotel. You can place an online order on our webshop, Fortpointmarketstore.com, also reach out to us for any suggestions in our store site and will take care of the rest for you.

Around the area:

Trillium, for curbside pick up and they'll probably be open in late March/early April for pours.

Row 34, they are open on Wednesday through Sunday and they'll have gems such as Vitamin Sea, Foam and Fox Farm cans to go with food.

City Tap House, has an awesome beer selection currently going now with food to go or out the patio (they have heaters to keep you seated for a hour or so during the cold windy days).

But if you're feeling like being more adventurous then Zipcar and few other car rental spots around have cheap rates, and I would drive it to Providence for an hour because Tilted Barn and I think Long Live Beerworks have outdoor seating.

10. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (671) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Be warned, you must order food wherever you go & officially there's a 90-minute time limit (though it's unevenly enforced). Many beery places in Boston proper are still closed/hibernating for the winter so be sure to check any place's social media before going. Also, as others have mentioned, SPD events will probably be few and far between - 40% capacity indoors for bars and restaurants, plus I don't think there's a big appetite for folks to gather around in huge groups indoors for a while.

That said, you should be able to get a great rate at a nice hotel and stumble upon a few places to have a good time if you keep your options open.

hudsonvalleyslim likes this.
  11. Flashy

Thank you all.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  12. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (279) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Cambridge Brewing will be open. If the weather is decent it’s a nice walk over the river from downtown. They have a great patio with heaters.

13. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (222) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Don't come imo. Not even because of out of state spread concerns, but there's just near nothing to do right now and a month from now is unlikely to be significantly better. I don't think there's been a less interesting 5 months to visit Boston in modern history than November of last year until whenever it gets warm again.

rdecker679, parg0, Stormfield and 4 others like this.
  14. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is a good point. Weather will be much nicer in May, vaccines may be rolling out to later phases, and there will be tons more to do and do more safely. I love CBC and other spots mentioned, but sitting under a heat lamp for an hour drinking cold beer when it's 20 degrees out? Hard pass.

hudsonvalleyslim and Stormfield like this.
  15. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

This would be advice as well. Sorry to be a wet blanket. If it's a business trip, I get it, but if it's just for kicks, go some place like a beach, the mountains, or some place that isn't densely populated. Cities are awesome, except during pandemics, at which point they are far less awesome.

sjverla likes this.
  16. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (188) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Agreed with the above, why go to a city now when not essential? Not to mention the required quarantine when you return to Vermont. My wife is a fully vaccinated health care worker and the thought of traveling out of state hasn’t crossed her mind. It sucks but it’s the reality right now. If you must take a break travel somewhere in VT, more than enough local breweries to try

17. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,138) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Also, I grew up in Boston and, if there's an uglier, more dismal place to be at the ass-end of winter when all the dog shit is thawing out on the sidewalks, I've never been there.

18. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (671) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Agree somewhat, but if someone wants to visit given the limited options & can make do with the restrictions - why not ? If OP is vaccinated or had COVID then he should be able to go wherever & support places that are open.

19. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (135) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

because it seems like kind of a waste of a good trip?

20. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (394) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is sooo in the money. Feb/Mar absolutely sucks here even when there isn’t a pandemic.

21. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

@Flashy where are you coming from? Who are you coming with?

March can have days of glory filled sunshine, but those are more common in April and May. March can also have 12+ inches of snow followed by 1-2 days of teens, or multiple days of driving rain, wind, and 39 degrees (worse imo).

if you’re coming with someone else or a few other people, you can probably have a good time at various restaurants and a couple bars.

Good luck!

Flashy likes this.
  22. Flashy

I didn't ask for your opinion on that particular subject.

23. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (222) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

lol ok on second thought maybe don't come when it's nice out either

24. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Ha! Spoken like a Bostonian! Seriously if you don't want to put it off a coupla months, come to Boston. And if we're lucky milder weather makes a big difference. Outdoor dining options open up, indoor if you're braver than me!

#24 hudsonvalleyslim, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.