Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Boston Trip? What to chase?

Discussion in 'New England' started by beenitty, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beenitty

beenitty Nov 27, 2010 New Jersey

Going up to Boston in a week.

Curious if anyone can suggest what I should be on the lookout for.

New releases, personal favorites, gems etc.

2. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Jack's Abby BA Framinghammer

3. beenitty

Sounds insane. Sightings in Boston?

4. bramsdell

bramsdell May 27, 2011 North Carolina

A number of us keep tabs on it. Where in Boston will you be? We can tell you where to check.

5. BarrelAgedBrian

You can also probably pick it up from the brewery itself in Framingham, which is on the way to Boston depending on how you get here. Even so, we can tell you where to find it depending on where you'll be.

6. kinopio

kinopio Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

CBC has some good stuff on. Hashtag, YouEnjoyMyStout, Blunderbuss.
    Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits and Mayflower Spring Hop are good spring seasonals
    Notch just put out their first IPA called Left of the Dial, haven't tried it yet
    Trillium Brewing just opened, Harpoon has a new beer hall, Mystic has a new tasting room

7. beenitty

I'll probably be statying in Framingham. I'll definitely be on the lookout. Definintely stopping at Julios and CBC.
    Thanks for the tips

8. MattOC

MattOC Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you are staying in Framingham then visiting Jack's Abby should be a must visit.

franklinn likes this.
  9. BarrelAgedBrian

Julio's is awesome

10. jraras

jraras Jan 10, 2011 Massachusetts

As others have mentioned BA Framinghammer is the best beer in the state right now. So good.

11. BlueRogue

BlueRogue May 1, 2011 Maine

Wormtown Be Hoppy

jbertsch and tenacioustomato like this.
  12. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Not OP, but I'll also be in Boston in August for my cousin's wedding. I may be limited by that in my travels as it'll take place in Cambridge, which is where I'm staying. The following three bottleshops were recommended to me by another BA that are in close proximity to Cambridge, but I want a 2nd opinion. Liquor World in Cambridge, Blanchards in Allston, Martignetti's in Brighton.

Any other places I should hit up, or make a concerted effort to go to? The "best" bottleshop in all of Boston?

13. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

The "best" is subjective, but general opinion would likely consider Julio's in Westborough, Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, and Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont the three "best" in the Boston area, probably in that order. You kind of need a car for all three. Craft Beer Cellar would be by far the closest to Cambridge.

Blanchard's, Marty's, etc are very good stores, probably better than most of what you'd have in Texas, but if you're going to go to Allston or Newton, just go to Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont. If you're not going to have a car though, I'd personally just go to somewhere like Downtown Wine and Spirits in Davis Square right on the subway red line. You'll find 95% of what you want there.

14. Clonies720

Understandably. Hence the quotation marks in my OP.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions.

Personal research on BA has shown these 3 to be BA favorites: Charles Street Liquors, Boston Wine Exchange, and Bauer Wine and Spirits. Have any opinions on those? BWE seemed to have really high praise...

Cheers!

Edit: Craft Beer Cellar looks like a real winner. I'm sure I'll be bedazzled by the selection compared to TX stores. Thanks again, and I'd be happy to bring some local beers for you if you'd live in the area!

15. BarrelAgedBrian

I would stay away from Bauer. Most expensive because of location and not a huge selection like BWE. If I had to pick one I'd do BWE.

16. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Those would probably be some of the better options in downtown-ish Boston, but as others have mentioned, there are bigger/more reasonable/better stores just outside the city or T-accessible, including Cambridge.

17. Clonies720

Got it. Appreciate the responses! If you'd like some local TX brews when I come up in mid-August, shoot me a BM. Cheers!

18. bizkat

bizkat Apr 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont.
    Redstones in Stoneham.
    Charles St. Liquor in Boston.

19. BarrelAgedBrian

I'd add Granite Liquors in Weymouth if you manage to get out there.

20. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm assuming you're going to want to stay close to Cambridge and won't have a car, so instead of listing liquor stores all over the stay I'll give you 5 that are close to the Red Line that you can get to easily:

Cambridge Wine & Spirits at Alewife
    Downtown Wine & Spirits at Davis
    Liquor World at Porter
    Charles Street Liquors at Charles/MGH
    Boston Wine Exchange at Downtown Crossing

There are "better" stores outside the city but my guess is they won't be feasible.

21. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Those just happen to be the three best options in downtown Boston. You'll pay more for less selection, but if you're stuck downtown, nothing wrong with any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe