Boston Trip

Discussion in 'New England' started by fuzzcherry, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzcherry

fuzzcherry Disciple (363) Sep 8, 2010 Minnesota

Bostonians,

My wife, one-year-old daughter and I will be in Boston in mid-March for five days and I was hoping for suggestions on things to do/see, restaurants, bars, beers, etc. We're from Minneapolis and have never been to New England. Anyway, we'll be staying at the Westin on Summer St. and will be without a car. Our hotel is relatively close to Harpoon, so we'll probably venture over there at some point. Otherwise we have no plans other than possibly taking in a Bruins game or watch BC play in the Hockey East quarterfinals.

My wife will be at work conferences during the day so I'll be flying solo with my daughter from 9-5 each day...something to keep in mind. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

3. djlump

djlump Initiate (119) Feb 3, 2013 Massachusetts

I would check out Davis sq in Somerville. You can take a bus to downtown then take the Red line there. There are a few good bars there like Redbones and Five horses tavern. But there is a bowling alley with a Flatbread in it. Plus they have good beers on tap. Or you can check out a movie at Somerville theater that you can drink at. I think they have Harpoon on tap. I hope this helps man

4. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Poo-Bah (1,786) Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

For the little one, the Children's museum is just down the street from your hotel. Look for the giant milk bottle in front of the museum. There's also the New England Aquarium within walking distance of the Children's museum. I doubt a 1 year old would be interested, but the Boston Tea party museum is on the bridge just outside the Children's museum. It just reopened a couple years ago after a fire destroyed the attraction.

The Harpoon brewery just opened a new bar/tap room. I haven't been there yet but from the pictures I've seen it looks pretty nice. Near the Boston Garden is the Beer Works. It's a brewpub with usually 15-20 beers on the menu. The food and beer are descent, but nothing to go out of your way for.

The Cambridge Brewing Company in Kendall Sq. has some great beers on tap. It's definitely worth a visit In the same neighborhood is Meadhall, which has about 100 taps, and Lord Hobo. Lord Hobo is a great little beer bar that gets some rare (for Boston) beers from time to time.

5. jdauria

jdauria Initiate (172) Sep 15, 2010 Massachusetts

Bring me a case of Surly beers from your state and I will be your personal tour guide! ;)

Goldfishman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe