Bottle Logic (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by AlmostDeadly777, Jan 2, 2022.

1. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (101) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

I don't get it. I thought the whole point of using a ORVW barrel was to let the barrel shine?
    I'll save my money and try for another bottle of Static Momentum on the Eventbrite.

2. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (151) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

I think I'm more curious as to why the non-adjunct bottle limit was 1pp and this one was 4pp. To your point, you would think to focus on the barrel and maybe make the adjunct more of a small batch to say, "Hey, try this..."?

yokels and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  3. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

My guess is because they have to assume most people will be passing on this one. You will see it turding up at your local BevMo/Total Wine in a couple weeks. I haven’t tried it yet so I can’t say for certain, but this sounds like the grossest beer they’ve ever made. Coconut sure, but mango and pineapple… come on. The non-adjunct version was incredible, this is like doodling glasses and a mustache on the Mona Lisa with a Crayon.

I hope if there’s more releases from this series, the brewer isn’t on an ayahuasca trip when they decide on adjuncts.

#83 BreakingMyBalls, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  4. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

Another interesting thing of note, looks like 3 hours ago they removed all references to Old Rip Van Winkle barrels in all of the Static Momentum and Alchemy of Elements Instagram posts. They now just say “specialty bourbon barrels”. Some kind of legal intervention from Buffalo Trace going on there maybe? I know Modern Times doesn’t name the barrels they use on their labels either for that reason.

Resistance88 and lucius10 like this.
  5. Craft_Drinks

Craft_Drinks Initiate (27) Oct 4, 2017 California

So the Alchemy beer was tried today on a 4 oz format. You can definitely taste the pineapple and mango, but it’s not overwhelming. Think of fruit covered in chocolate.

Did I like it? Sure. Will I buy a bottle? Nah, I am good.

6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,209) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Assuming they aged this in more than one barrel and only a small amount was successful, as I said with the previous Motions of the Moon release, I don't think particularly "special" barrels always guarantee a pristinely worthy expression. And when they don't, finding something to complement whatever result they imparted upon a beer doesn't necessarily tarnish the beer. Many breweries simply blend it out and don't even announce what barrel they used in such cases. I find it interesting to know either way.

7. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (67) Dec 24, 2018 Texas
    Trader

In my experience, the “quality” of the bourbon that was aged in the barrel previously has little to no impact on how good the beer ends up being. There’s so many other factors involved like how wet the barrels were when filled with beer, final blending, etc.

I’ve had Pappy barrel stouts that sucked, and Wild Turkey barrel stouts that were magical.

8. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

For sure. There’s a beer called BA Distraction’s Grasp from American Solera that was aged in a Balcones barrel, which by most people’s standards is a not so good whiskey. But a ton of people ranked it as the best beer of 2020. A fancy barrel doesn’t necessarily make a fancy beer.

9. bottlelogiclindsay

bottlelogiclindsay Initiate (35) Feb 2, 2016 California

Popping in to confirm that the barrels initially named for aging Alchemy of Elements and Static Momentum are exactly what we aged the entirety of Alchemy of Elements and Static Momentum in. We're within our rights to name the brand but have been asked to refrain. We're happy to make some easy text adjustments and keep a friend.

The fresh fruit additions in Alchemy of Elements result in the 2% ABV drop from its Static Momentum base beer.

#89 bottlelogiclindsay, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. jts211

jts211 Disciple (398) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Anyone else go after a static momentum on Eventbrite today?

bruindre likes this.
  11. jnance88

Trader

I ended up with a bottle. For only 100 being released, it was surprisingly smooth.

jts211 likes this.
  12. jts211

Society Trader

Same. My signal was poor but I was lucky enough to secure one via the eventbrite app on my cell.

13. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (67) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

Wanted to chime in that the 2 latest cocktail beers are both really great, but the mezcal one is fantastic. Can't get enough of it!

Additionally I also enjoyed Continuous Ignition, love me some Mostra coffee and the caramel flavor wasn't too sweet. Well done.

14. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,209) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oh don't tell me that...I already love mezcal as it is.

bottlelogiclindsay likes this.
  15. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

The pina colada cocktail with the popsicle is *chef’s kiss*. So damn delicious.

16. AlmostDeadly777

Trader

I tried it with a strawberry one and a pineapple one, they were both so good!

bottlelogiclindsay and lucius10 like this.
  17. Fermented-nate

Fermented-nate Initiate (159) Sep 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Bet this year's FO is going to be a banger! Crazy how much more limited it is....is it 2017 again? Hopefully the beer is like FO 2017. I still think about that beer
    I'll be out of town, so I guess im back to trading again

kst8td and lucius10 like this.
  18. rmpic82

rmpic82 Disciple (323) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Trader

Yeah, the limit three was a shocker. Gonna be a lot tougher to get my normal six pack.

19. jts211

Society Trader

@Fermented-nate
    @rmpic82

would one of you be so kind a post a link or snip-it of the FO 2022 announcement? I’m not on IG.

rmpic82 likes this.
  20. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (163) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

21. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

I wouldn’t let the hype in the IG post fool you. Unless this batch pulls out all the stops and is incredible (we’re talking minimum 4.65 average on Untappd after a couple hundred reviews, which FO hasn’t hit since batch 3), it will be on liquor store shelves with the last 3 batches.

pinballplayer and SP23 like this.
  22. rmpic82

rmpic82 Disciple (323) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Trader

Well, my comment was more about my regular CA trader buddy easily grabbing me an allocation, not that I expect this batch of FO to miraculously be exactly like b1 (always better).

Beer_Economicus and jts211 like this.
  23. jnance88

Trader

Number Crunch is back also. 2 per person limit.

24. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Devotee (497) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Spaced out on today's sale and was able to grab what I wanted 30 minutes after it opened. No mo Fomo, I guess?

25. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (205) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

No longer the new kid in the block.

Trying this years new batch of FO, aroma is better than taste. Compared from last nights HpB's Luxury, Luxury is definitely superior.

augustgarage, Frosty11161 and SP23 like this.
  26. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (235) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

27. Akahoshi

Akahoshi Initiate (53) Sep 28, 2010 California

Got a lot of oaky barrel notes from FO but this wasn't my favorite batch for sure.

28. Craft_Drinks

I’ve been a huge fan of Bottle Logic and will continue to support them through and through. Bottle Logic created the beer that introduced me to craft beer via FO, but FO is no longer for me.

I may be in the minority, but FO had such a berry note that I am not a fan of. I know this has been an issue from last releases, and I just can’t get behind it. This is going to be the first year that I didn’t buy at least one bottle.

I hope it doesn’t sound like I am hating, or complaining to much lol

Now fococo is delicious! Buy all the bottles you can lol

superball9 likes this.
  29. BreakingMyBalls

Trader

FOCOCO is delicious, as for FO… I’ve had every batch since batch 2 and this is the worst one in my opinion. I got a bunch of fig, licorice, basically no vanilla, some weird berry notes… definitely not the “cake frosting/batter” of years past. At this point not quite sure if they’ll ever be able to recreate the magic of b3 and earlier batches, just given how much the cost of vanilla has absolutely skyrocketed since then, and there’s no way to pack it with as much vanilla without jacking the price of the bottle up significantly.

30. jts211

Society Trader

@BreakingMyBalls @Craft_Drinks @Akahoshi
    Questions for each of you:
    what did each of you think of last years release of FO b7 compared to FO b8? In your opinion, do you think b7 was a good batch with a nice balance of vanilla, base stout and barrel?

31. Craft_Drinks

You did a much better job of describing it! I’ve heard that the vanilla they source is the one giving out the berry/fig note to it - but I’m not a brewery or know enough.

I just wonder how many early tasters of FO are still buying and like this beer.

32. Craft_Drinks

Too he honest, I don’t remember the notes I got, but in my mind, B7 wasn’t close to what I have tasted in the past. B7 wasn’t good for me and I think B8 might be better but we are talking about which one is better from two beers that I haven’t been a fan of.

I think the last batch I’ve enjoyed was B5.

jts211 likes this.
  33. Akahoshi

@BreakingMyBalls summed it up nicely. I can’t quite recall off tops what last year’s was like by comparison but generally FO is very decadent and as described. Exactly what you would think of when someone says the words “vanilla stout”.

jts211 likes this.
  34. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (515) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Regarding FO , i have sent a bunch of it out and no one has liked any vintage after 2018
    I managed to grab a FO Coco at my spot with a 1PP Limit but im sending it out to someibe. Nothing i have had from BL as far as stouts go has been up my alley as they always end up too sweet, but their IPAs are something i always enjoy

I think they need to fall back on making liquid dessert and focus on non adjuncted base stouts a bit more or just as much as they do pastry stuff.

I'd be sad to see them go the route of MT

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  35. boarder1999

boarder1999 Initiate (61) Dec 16, 2014 California
    Trader

My thoughts on FO 2022 (FOb8?):
    It's better (to my taste) than 2018-2020 but not as good as 2021 and nowhere near as good as 2017 and earlier. The extra viscosity from the double mash really helps the overall taste, because the flavors aren't as good as in the past. I think maybe the Weller barrels imparted a slightly off note. It smelled a bit like green apples and tasted a bit sharp. Very little vanilla flavor and not as sweet as previous years. 2018-2020 FO tasted thin and like very fake vanilla (not saying it was extract or whatever, just it didn't taste like real vanilla) but had no off flavors. I thought 2021 was great, but this year the off flavors are only saved by the thicker base beer.

I haven't tried NC or FOCOCO yet.

36. AlmostDeadly777

Trader

I more or less agree with this, although I personally think '19 was better than '18 and '20, I liked '21 quite a bit as well. I sadly never got to try FOb '15 or '16, but '17 was fantastic.

I liked '22 initially the with berry-ish twist on the vanilla but the more I drank of it I got kinda tired of it. Still a solid FO and certainly not the "worst" one by all means.

I liked this years NC quite a bit though, boozy chocolate milk, and FOCOCO as previously noted by others is great as well.

37. jnance88

Trader

Damn, the berry is back in FO? ugh
    That was the issue with '20.

38. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I hate that everything is double-mashed now. It might improve the flavor (not sure) but I hate that everything is super thick and syrupy now with barely any noticeable carbonation.

#makestoutscarbonatedagain

39. aventinus

aventinus Initiate (19) Jan 4, 2022 Oregon

I hear Older Viscosity is making a comeback at BA bottle shares!

40. Akahoshi

Get up, come on, get down with the thiccness.

(I’m okay with the double mashed mouthfeel)