Bottle Shops in Traverse City area

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Benish, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benish

Benish Champion (862) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Will be traveling to Traverse City and Mackinac Island area next month. I plan to pick up some brews that are not distributed in WI (DFH, Stone, etc). Are there any good bottle shops in that area?

Ferry lands in Ludington and I will be driving north and entering the UP and back into Northern WI.

Thanks!

2. psykosis

psykosis Aspirant (268) May 21, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Beverage Company has the best selection, but all the limited releases will likely be sold out as they are the go-to place in town. Other places I'd suggest:

Bayside Market
    Tilley's (and for the love of all things good and holy, go get a pastrami sammich from Frenchie's next door)
    Burritt's Market (ask for Shawn if you are looking for something in particular)

Those three tend to have more limited releases since they are off the beer radar.

And you can buy bottles direct from Right Brain (cans too, soon) and Brewery Ferment (just ask what they have left), as well as Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission.

Since you are heading to Mackinaw, swing past Shorts on the way. They might still have some pub-exclusive bottles left by then, and it's a great place to stop anyway.

3. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

^^^^ What he said!! Also a few other tiny stores will surprise you as to what they have. Not a huge variety, but what they do have is outstanding!!

4. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

We will be in traverse next week (staying for 3 days). How far is it to mackinaw via shorts? Also, anyone wanting some brews from the Tennessee area for trade or bottle share, let me know!

5. psykosis

psykosis Aspirant (268) May 21, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Bellaire to the bridge is about a 90 minutes. If you take the lakeshore or the expressway it's about the same drive time.

6. HarmonMW

HarmonMW Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2012 Missouri

THIS MAN DOES NOT LIE.

7. c64person

c64person Devotee (413) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Stop at Ferment, I went up there last month and the assistant brewer was there, gave us a tour, and we sat and talked beer and had drinks all day, it was amazing!

8. CWBlues

CWBlues Aspirant (258) May 4, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm doing this exact trip over the week of Labor Day. Glad to have some advice!

9. adamdd

adamdd Initiate (0) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I just got back from a short TC vacation. A brief rundown of what I spotted. Short's still has BB Sustenance and Controversius Maximus six packs. They also had a very good PB & Banana Wheat served with candied bacon to complete the full Elvis experience. Short's is my highlight to any trip to TC and is worth the drive. My boys beg to differ on the whether the drive is worth it, but they survived.

I stopped into Burrit's and the only notable thing I spotted was a lot of Bolt Cutter. It was closing time, so I didn't hang around too long.

I had to make a choice between Right Brain and Ferment. I decided to check out RBB's new digs. It's was huge and very empty, although I went around 4 PM on a weekday. They do have many of their bottles available including Steve, an imperial brown aged in Grand Traverse whisky barrels. I bought a few, but haven't tried them yet. They also had Thai Peanut which was surprisingly good. I wish I had time to hit Ferment, but maybe next time.

Also don't miss out on 7 Monks. They had some great stuff on draft as always.

10. Benish

Beer Trader

If you don't mind, I have a couple questions:

What's RBB? Is that abbreviated for Right Brain? Just had to ask haha.
    Also what did Bolt Cutter cost? I was thinking about getting some. There's a ton of regular beers you guys get that's not distributed here so I'm even excited just to get my hands on some DFH.

I in fact called Short's this morning about BB Sustenance. She told me they have a ton if and there should still be some when I visit the beginning of July.

It's a long shot but I thought I'd ask....is RuinTen available in MI?? I'm guessing no but doesn't hurt to ask.

11. adamdd

RBB is Right Brain. Sorry about throwing that in. There was a bunch of Bolt Cutter, I believe that it was $21'ish. I haven't looked for that particular Stone bottle, so I can't speak to whether it's around or not. You should be able to find DFH pretty easily. Enjoy your trip!

12. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

When you called Shorts, did it seem like they had plenty of all the recent seasonals? Heading up next week and didn't know if I needed to call and purchase over the phone and have them hold.

13. adamdd

When I was there Monday, they didn't have any of the recent "special" releases (i.e. Dan's Pink Skirt, Beard of Zeus, etc). The list that they have on the website look accurate from what I saw.

14. Benish

Beer Trader

I called them yesterday morning and asked if they could hold BB Sustenance. She told me she could not but she was kind and said they should have plenty when I visit early July. Maybe its for special releases only, not sure.

15. HopHeadHerman

HopHeadHerman Aspirant (273) Feb 9, 2009 Michigan

You should be alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.