Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bottling bucket question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JimSmetana, Dec 30, 2012.

1. JimSmetana

Most kits include a primary fermenting bucket a secondary carboy AND a plastic bottling bucket. Question is couldn't you use your primary fermenting bucket as your bottling bucket instead of purchasing a seperate bucket?

2. quirkzoo

Yes, I have one bucket that serves both purposes.

The one caveat would be that if you plan to do primary in the bucket I haven't figured out how to bottle without transferring it at least once to get it off the yeast.

3. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Assuming you are priming with a sugar solution, it would be difficult to mix your priming sugar into the beer in the primary without stirring up the trub, which you do not want in your bottled beer.

4. PortLargo

Yes, that is exactly what I do. I transfer from secondary carboy back to the primary bucket, add priming sugar, and use an auto-siphon to bottle. It works well.

5. JimSmetana

I thought so. As long as you do a secondary fermentation in a carboy the primary should be ideal for bottling. Thanks!

6. ipas-for-life

Beer Trader

A bottling bucket, tubing and bottle filler are going to cost around $20 (probably less in a kit). Save yourself a possible pita and drop the $20. I also use my bottling bucket to sanitize equipment during multiple steps of the brewing process. Well worth the money in my opinion.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe