Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Boulevard Chocolate Ale Refund

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sentomaster, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbody

deadbody May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just pulled up the bottle I had in the cellar. 2011-1 boo. Also had given one to a friend as a belated xmas present. Called him and told him not to drink it and to submit for the refund stuff. Will be drinking it tonight, hopefully it is OK if not what was intended.

2. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Sent in my refund request last night, Boulevard has already approved it this morning. Amazing customer service. Being a good brewery is about more than just brewing great beer.

3. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Sent mine in this morning, and got an approval within 3 hours, and a promise of a check within a few weeks. Good for them - I'll be back.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I just checked my bottle. I can't tell what batch it is, the printing for the batch number is off-kilter, so the last digit is off the lable itself.
    There is printing underneath that says, 8-20 ( I presume that;s the date) Anyone know what batch I may have?
    I can't tell about off flavors or not - I haven't opened it.

5. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

I had a 2011-3 the other day and it wasn't bad...I have one more -3 left and had popped 2 more (don't know which batch) a while back. None of the 3 bottles I cracked were bad IMO and they tasted like a dark Belgian ale with a slight cocoa hint. I don't know if I missed something or what but I've never had it on tap or any other form than the bottles they sent to Texas so don't have anything to compare it to. Makes me even more curious to try it on tap because honestly I thought the mad scramble in KC was quite ridiculous for the beer I had...

6. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Eh, I'd rather they focus more on the brewing . Premium beer at a premium price, and they release 3 bad batches? Cripes.

7. jdauria

jdauria Sep 15, 2010 Massachusetts

I bought two bottles back when it first hit shelves in MA, already drank one and it tasted fine to me, though not as chocolatey as expected. Will have to check the batch on the 2nd bottle when I get home. Also don't remember the price, I think it was around $12.99.

8. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

I had a bottle of the Imperial stout last year. It tasted like straight brett to me. I heard nothing about a refund, Think they said it was intended:confused:

9. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Had a bottle of "bad" batch, it wasn't undrinkable, so I just rated accordingly and didn't contact about a refund.

10. JCDenver

JCDenver Feb 8, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

They refunded people from the bad batch last year. You just had to contact them and send in the label, if you had it, along with some information about where you purchased it.

11. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

Oh never saw that. Only threads i ever recall seeing were the ones that said Boulevard told them they did that on purpose

12. draheim

Beer Trader

Point taken, but some breweries don't even bother to stand behind their product (Lost Abbey?), or make it unnecessarily difficult to get a refund (Hellshire II?). Anyway, I only paid $9.99 per bottle which is pretty good for a 750. Check's in the mail, and the beer is still in the fridge. Got a refund for last year's Boulevard Imperial Stout too, which I still have in the fridge as well.

13. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Had a batch 2011-2 and draft this year. The difference is night and day. I agree with you completely about your description of the bottles you had. If you love chocolate, the real stuff is like heaven. All the delicious promises on the label come true, with rich milk chocolate, caramel etc. I am pretty sure TX only got the bad bottles this year so you will probably have to wait, but definitely track down a bottle next year.

14. marmora

marmora May 23, 2011 Illinois

Just got my refund check in the mail today. They included a discount code for their webstore.

15. deadbody

deadbody May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

IIRC that is the same best by date mine had, and it was batch 1. Was terrible when I cracked it open. One small sip then a drainpour. Will use the refund check to buy another boulevard product though.

16. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Mar 16, 2011 Alabama

Had this out of a keg really good. Glad this only bottle form. Sorry for those of you who had to send yours in.

17. ShogoKawada

Yeah, I just am miffed as I gave my bottle out as a gift a few days before this was announced and have no chance of a refund since it was opened (and poured out).

18. bflattum

bflattum Feb 11, 2012 Minnesota

1) it was a great move by Boulevard to offer the refund, shows that they respect beer drinkers and dont expect their products to be anything less than exceptional

2) i had a bottle from their bad batch and I didnt have any issues with it, i thought it was enjoyable and what I expected. I wonder what percentage was actually off?

19. draheim

Beer Trader

I think all you need is the bottle, opened or sealed, empty or full. Not sure if that's feasible given the circumstances, but if it is all you have to do is photograph the front/back labels and send them an email w/ info about where you bought it.

20. coreymcafee

coreymcafee May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Wish I'd known about the refund before I threw the bottles away! I had it on draft and bottle on a trip to Chicago in January and it was good. Snagged two bottles in Denver to share with some non-beer drinking friends and they were very plain and uninteresting. They didn't really taste infected to me but they really didn't taste good, either.

21. SawDog505

SawDog505 Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Excellent costumer service, will always remember them.

22. warriorsoul

warriorsoul Aug 3, 2004 Pennsylvania

Curious...did you email Boulevard and explain this scenario? I will advise you to do so. Let me know how it turns out.

23. ShogoKawada

I have not. I may if I get around to it- if I do I will post an update.

24. colt45n

colt45n Sep 8, 2010 Missouri

kmello69, why would you send in for a refund before you even drink the beer and see if its actually off?? Seems like a shady move to get a refund for something you not only used(drank) but also something you enjoy...I think it was a great move by boulevard on this but to take advantage of it is just shameful IMO..

25. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

Just popped my last bottle (-3 batch) and for whatever reason it is miles ahead of the other three bottles I previously took down. Right off the bat you get chocolate, followed by more chocolate in the middle with a great chocolate finish. The previous bottles left me a bit frustrated and wondering WTF people are seeing in this brew...I think after tonight I have a clearer picture of why people love this beer so much. It's really doing it for me and I really wish my other bottles were congruent with this one. It's not good enough to overpay 2 or 3 times retail but for the $9 I paid it is more than worth it...

26. redbravo

redbravo Dec 12, 2010 Massachusetts

I don't know if it's fair to say that the Imperial Stout had some trouble. Some people just didn't like the "Brett-character," which wasn't present in the 2009 release.

"Our sensory panel also picked up “Brett-character” in some of the bottles from this years’ edition. Brett is otherwise known as Brettanomyces—a wild yeast that produces distinctive flavors and aromas. While it is not a desirable characteristic for most wines, craft beer connoisseurs tend to embrace its presence for adding complexity and a touch of distinction to the brew. Our Limited Release Saison-Brett, for example, is a beer that contains this yeast for the specific purpose of imparting these qualities. The wild yeast is not harmful, but beer fans will recognize that it could change the characteristics of the beer as it ages. "

http://www.boulevard.com/sizing-up-imperial-stout/

27. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

This comment is so asinine that it doesn't merit any response longer than this.

28. davesway10

davesway10 Jan 23, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Getting ready to open my first ever chocolate ale 2011-1 08-2012 are the numbers.This appears to be from the batch that the "refund" is from ? I have 2 Bottles, both from the same batch, regardless of how I feel I'll not be applying for a refund. I think what boulevard is doing is Class Act, FWIW I paid 7.99 for both of my bottles. I'll buy this brew again next year if it is available despite what I think of this bottle or the next.

29. davesway10

Beer Trader

Having trouble with the cork, I am a little drunk at this point

gustogasmic likes this.
  30. davesway10

Beer Trader

Shit, broke the cork, now i'm starting to sweat a little.

31. davesway10

Beer Trader

Very little "chocolate", but it's not undrinkable.

32. stevegoz

stevegoz May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Got my refund check today. Very cool of Boulevard to step up like this. I wrote to a local brewery about a quality control issue with one of its fall releases and didn't even get a reply....

33. smauretti

smauretti Sep 7, 2008 Massachusetts

Sent in for a refund a few weeks ago. Got approved right away, still waiting for check.

34. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

I had purchased a bottle from one of the bad batches of Chocolate Ale a while ago. After reading the announcement for refunds, I emailed a picture and the cost. Got a check for 13.92 today, in a timely manner I must add.

Thanks Boulevard.

35. draheim

Beer Trader

I got two checks: one for last year's imperial stout and another for the chocolate ale. I sent in both requests on March 1. The imperial stout check came almost immediately, the chocolate ale check arrived Saturday. I'll be buying more Boulevard beers in the future, they are 100% guaranteed.

36. TWStandley

TWStandley Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just got mine today too! I don't know why, but I almost felt bad depositing it. I mean, we all make mistakes sometimes, right? Ahh well, I decided I will at least buy a different Boulevard beer with it.

37. Agold

Agold Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

Got mine a couple days ago. Although it does kind of suck that this is not the first time it has happened for this brewery, I have never had such a great experience with a bad product. I have enjoyed their other offerings that I have had, so I may just have to turn around and buy another boulevard beer with it.

38. stevegoz

stevegoz May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I spent my check -- and a few bucks more -- on two bottles of Rye on Rye. It just seemed the right thing to do.

strangebrew321 likes this.
  39. Agold

Agold Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

I wonder what proportion of people turn around and buy boulevard with their check. So far, everyone in this thread and many in the other thread have said that they will. If it's a high enough share of people getting a refund, It would function like a 2 for one sale. I would bet that they make money on something like this. Maybe something for other breweries to take note of. Not only are you doing the right thing by your customer, but you might make a few bucks off it.

40. draheim

Beer Trader

Obviously it's not like you would literally have to use the exact money you get cashing the Boulevard check to go out and buy another Boulevard beer. I just look at it as Boulevard backing up their product and reinforcing customer loyalty. I'm already a loyal Boulevard customer because they make some damn good beers at a pretty fair price. The fact that they are doing right by their customers just reinforces this even more, and makes me feel better supporting them in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe