Boulevard: Most Under hyped Brewery There is?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveB24

SteveB24 Aug 29, 2013 New York

So Boulevard just started distributing to my home state of ny, and i've tried a few of their beers prior to that. So far i've tried Rye on Rye, BA imperial stout, imperial coffee x, Tank 7, The Calling IPA, Sixth Glass, BBQ, and Unfiltered wheat, i've been blown away by most of those, and mildly impressed with the others, havnt had one that i thought was bad, i know many of these have high reviews, but i rarely see them mentioned in top beer lists, posted in WBAYDN, sought out in trades, etc. so just looking for some thoughts. Do you think this brewery is seriously under appreciated? looking foreword to your thoughts. cheers

Steve

2. aucanuck

aucanuck Dec 18, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I agree. Their BA imperial stout on draft (not as much in the bottle) can go head to head with any other BA imperial stouts I have had. Absolutely love that beer. Plus, most of these beers are reasonably priced compared to other ones. I just had the coffee last week too and absolutely loved it. The rest are great too.

SteveB24 likes this.
  3. PuckIt

PuckIt Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

Boulevard gets decent hype actually.

Lots of smaller breweries who deserve more hype - i.e. Tioga Sequoia out of cali

proghead likes this.
  4. spacecake9

spacecake9 Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

Boulevard is getting a lot of promotion around Chicago. Fine by me, they make good beer.

SteveB24 likes this.
  5. JimKal

JimKal Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

For me their Tank 7 and 80 Acre Hoppy wheat are the ones that have really impressed me. I don't know that I would call them the MOST under hyped brewery but I do like those two offerings.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  6. Nathanial_Gish

Nathanial_Gish Mar 15, 2015 North Carolina

I also enjoy the Boulevard Single and Double Wide IPAs. Last time I flew out of KC I enjoyed an unfiltered wheat in the airport. I think they have decent hype, a local bottle shop in Raleigh featured them and they seem to be in a fair amount of the local grocery stores in Raleigh.

7. SteveB24

true, i didn't mention value in my post but it was in my head lol.

8. PGD120

PGD120 Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

Saison brett is one of my favorite beers of all time. I do think they get a decent amount of hype though.

9. beershatter

beershatter Jan 29, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Increased distribution and few rare/limited offerings have lowered the hype. They used to be traded several years ago.

Techichi, dennis3951 and SteveB24 like this.
  10. 2Xmd

2Xmd Apr 19, 2013 New York

Have now had Tank 7, Long Strange Tripel, and Dark Truth and am loving all of them. I don't think it was under appreciated by people that had access to them. I always heard Tank 7 was great. Excited to begin to appreciate them myself now.

#10 2Xmd, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    SteveB24 likes this.
  11. PuckIt

yeah, not really primary beers in trades anymore, but I love when I get a solid boulevard extra!

SteveB24 likes this.
  12. wasso67

wasso67 Aug 24, 2013 Colorado

Hazed and infused is from a Colorado brewery, not Boulevard.

2Xmd likes this.
  13. wasso67

wasso67 Aug 24, 2013 Colorado

Saison Brett, and any of the Love Child series are amazing. Grainstorm is pretty spectacular too. Been drinking their beers since 1992...they are only getting better. Cool brewery tour if you are ever in KC.

Monkeyknife, IowaPA and SteveB24 like this.
  14. 2Xmd

2Xmd Apr 19, 2013 New York

(Oops, Boulder)Yes, sorry a little hazed and infused myself right now.

15. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Neither overhyped nor underhyped, IMO. Boulevard is generally and rightly appreciated for what they do. A comprehensive brewery with particular mastery in Belgian-style brewing and smartly blended barrel and sour beers.

16. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

Brouwerij De Molen, by far.

interman and funhog like this.
  17. HoppyBastard

HoppyBastard Sep 6, 2013 Nebraska

I live just down the road on I-29 in Omaha, NE from this brewery. The unfiltered wheat is available at almost every pub I go to around here, it's the flagship beer that appeals to just about everyone. It's fine but, my favorite's from this brewer are the Smokestack Series; Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale, Long Strange Tripel and the Love Child series. The Belgian style ales are just outstanding and would compare favorably to any brewed in Belgium. Maybe that is why Duvel bought them? By the way I love Duvel too. I think if the beers were more widely distributed you would see more crack the top 250 beers on BA. It's just a matter of time.....

SteveB24 likes this.
  18. zeff80

zeff80 Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

It's been amazing to watch Boulevard grow. They started with 4 regulars: Unfiltered Wheat, Pale Ale, Bully Porter and Dry Stout. I always thought Bully Porter was the best of the 3. They had 4 seasonals that were solid, too. Then started making their Smokestack series and shot through the roof. Fantastic brews.

19. SteveB24

yeah i don't love that breweries get punished for distributing their awesome beers and not doing only brewery releases or unnecessarily limiting output to increase hype.

20. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but certain releases are difficult to obtain in the home market. As of a few years ago, people in the KC area lined up Bourbon Barrel Quad, and Chocolate Ale has been difficult to come by. Not sure if this is still the case, but it was fairly recently. Correct?

21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Mar 28, 2009 California

What does tigoa brew that is hype worthy? I am asking because I don't get their beers but visit Yosemite once a year and have tried most of their shelf beers and they are average.

22. dradair

dradair Jun 5, 2014 Missouri

Coming from Kansas City, Boulevard is obviously not under-hyped here. But the hype is worth it, they are a great brewery, I feel like last year was a weak year for their beers, and they have others they have done better, i.e. the Chocolate Ale gets worse every year and Entwined and Two Jokers are both terrible. But Tank 7, Long Strange Tripel, Grainstorm, and Dark Truth will always be some of my favorite beers. Hell I have a 24 pack of their Pale Ale in my fridge right now.

23. PuckIt

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  24. elkabong

elkabong Apr 1, 2014 Wisconsin

strike me as one of the ones that will survive the inevitable craft turndown/bubble burst

Spinaltapped likes this.
  25. gibgink

gibgink Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I think Boulevard is a great example of a brewery doing it right.

They have a great range of styles, and the price points are competitive. They have a good distribution in my opinion, and are willing to try new things. Last, but not least they have @TheJermis who takes the time to answer us BA's. Keep it up Boulevard!

26. aratcliffe

aratcliffe Jan 6, 2015 Kansas

Ah, I really miss the Dry Stout. A shame no one was buying it, apparently. @TheJermis, any hopes for a revival one day?

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  27. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Their Saison-Brett is one of my absolute favorite beers. Also keep an eye out for the Bourbon Barrel Quad.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  28. Testosterownd

Testosterownd Dec 15, 2014 Michigan

Love Child #4 dude. What a beautiful ale.

Reed, DrStiffington, Kadonny and 2 others like this.
  29. Treyliff

Treyliff Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

One of my top 5 favorite breweries. I'm fine with them being under-hyped because it means that their beers are easier to get.

Reed likes this.
  30. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Maine Beer Company...

31. aratcliffe

Get ready for #5 and #6 this year. Pumped!

JeremyDanner and Testosterownd like this.
  32. Testosterownd

Testosterownd Dec 15, 2014 Michigan

Im so excited~

JeremyDanner and aratcliffe like this.
  33. TCJ0100

TCJ0100 Oct 9, 2014 California

I love their Single-Wide IPA. I think it is one of the better non-imperials that still comes in six-packs.

34. MikeP64

MikeP64 Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Dark Truth Stout and a few others are here in S.C.. It's awesome and one of my new all-time faves.

35. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Chocolate Ale is always a bit of a shitshow for bottles, but with a minor amount of planning ahead, it can be gotten with ease. It's still easier than any of the super-limited stuff that hits KC, like Firestone Walker barrel-aged beers, KBS, Abraxas, Sump, Black Note, Vanilla Rye, Madagascar, etc.).

But the rest of the "limited" Smokestack Series can be obtained at just about any liquor store for a couple weeks after they first hit, even BBQ.

36. akrz47

akrz47 May 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Glad to see this post. Boulevard has always been a go-to for me. They make some world-class stuff; just goes to show how availability and hype affect people's desire to drink something.

Friendlyfire, JLaw55 and JeremyDanner like this.
  37. satisfied1013

satisfied1013 Jan 24, 2012 Kansas

my favorite brewery of all time

90% of their beers are really good and most of them are great

their wide footprint hurts them in ba rankings

their most underrated beer in hibiscus gose imo

DeepBrew, Phigg1102 and Spinaltapped like this.
  38. JFMBearcat

JFMBearcat Dec 9, 2014 Ohio
    Deactivated

That's sad. The hype for how good a brewery they are should have nothing to do with the amount of beer they produce. In fact, in my opinion the hype should go UP because more people get to enjoy them. I'll always find that a silly part of the BA world.

39. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

I would say it's quite unlikely that Dry Stout will ever return. We all loved that beer around the brewery, but sales just didn't warrant continuing to brew it.

40. aratcliffe

It's a shame. Wasn't there some talk about brewing small batches for KC Irish Fest?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.