Boulevard: Most Under hyped Brewery There is?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (657) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I really like Sixth Glass and their Bob's 47 is an Octoberfest I have to get each fall.

aratcliffe likes this.
  2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,503) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They're becoming more and more of a favorite, one of those must tries for me when I see an offering on the menu. It started with Love Child. BBQ is very good, Terra Incognita (collaboration) is delicious. Double Wide IPA impressed me and The Calling blew me away. I love a juicy, citrus hop bomb IPA as much as the next hop head, but these two IPAs have so much more going on they're in a league of their own. Chocolate Ale was good. Coffee X Stout is phenomenal. I need to try more of their regular year round releases, but from my experience they are a great brewery whose regular and special release beers are always readily available.

John_Beeryman likes this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I think they get the respect they deserve. I could see the argument that some of their beers are under-hyped though, like Saison Brett.

4. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

I don't know if they need "hype" necessarily, but I think they deserve more credit.

Friendlyfire and Hopportunistic like this.
  5. Hopportunistic

Hopportunistic Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 North Carolina

I highly recommend the Tank 7 and Sixth Glass. Boulevard makes some seriously high quality brews. Perhaps they are overshadowed somewhat by west and east coast breweries because they are in the Midwest ? I dunno. I have noticed that I don't seem to see their beers here in Charlotte as often as I did when I lived in Alabama. Hmmm....

6. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (4,242) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Solid offerings from a solid brewery. Their Belgians and stouts are most excellent. A welcome brew in Ohio for certain and have quickly become one of the breweries I seek out for their fantastic small batch creations.

7. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Boulevard makes a lot of good beer but I think they are just the tip of the iceberg when discussing under rated breweries. There are over 3000 breweries in the US now. How many of these in the flyover zone escape the attention they deserve? Likewise I would suspect many places even in the big markets do not get the attention they deserve. They are too busy making beer.

8. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (237) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Buddy of mine brought Rye-on-Rye to a bottle share a while back, and I was frankly blown away by how good it was.

9. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Never had a bad beer from them, and their imperial stout and bbq are excellent. dark truth, sixth glass, and coffee stout are also good

10. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Crusader (779) Sep 29, 2013 New York

Underhyped or not I'm sure as hell glad they've arrived in NY! Tank 7 is brilliant.

jcos, JLaw55 and 4truth like this.
  11. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,376) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Chocolate Ale sits on shelves 2 hours away in Columbia, MO.

12. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Amazing, all this. These Boulevard releases don't move anywhere near as fast in ATL. Chocolate Ale sits for a while, and even BBQ may still be found with a bit of effort.

Of course, we had a similar situation with those Terrapin Reserve Series beer. They seemed to be harder to obtain in Georgia than in other markets.

Scarcity in home markets is one of the more interesting, if maddening aspects of craft beer. Nice to see Boulevard is still so highly sought in KC. Much deserved, IMO.

13. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Same story with the Golden Bock? That was a very nice beer that I looked forward to each year.

14. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Initiate (125) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

Boss Tom's Golden Bock will not be brewed in 2015. I can't say for sure that it's been 100% retired.

15. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (383) Apr 4, 2014 New York

...is another fantastic brewery, but I'm not entirely sure I understand the purpose of your post.

16. aratcliffe

aratcliffe Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Kansas

Yes, but don't forget, The Calling is essentially replacing Double Wide. DW is going away.

17. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,372) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Boulevard makes some very tasty brew's, especially the 750ml ones.

Cheers!

JeremyDanner likes this.
  18. TheGent

Society Trader

Thanks. I did not know that. Mixed feelings. Disappointed that I won't see Double Wide, but I'll take The Calling all day long.

aratcliffe likes this.
  19. TheGent

Society Trader

This seems to be the case here in my part of NJ as well. BBQ sits forever. We'll see about Chocolate Ale but at $19.99 vs. $12.99 for X Stout and Imperial Stout I wouldn't be surprised if it sat as well.

20. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Thanks. I saw that it was not on the 2015 release schedule, but I do hope to see it back at some point.

21. aratcliffe

I was always underwhelmed by Boss Tom's. No skin offa me.

22. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,365) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Boulevard has some solid offerings. I personally see a fair amount of their beers posted on WBAYDN, not a ton, but there's a lot of breweries to go around! They hit fairly wide distro, so I think thats part of the reason you don't see them in the ISO:FT forum. Back in the day when Saison Brett was a top 100 beer, it was in the ISO:FT forum fairly often. A lot has changed over the last few years though, and now that place is packed with hoarders primarily looking for Whalez bro deals. Doesn't mean Boulevard doesn't make great beer.

SteveB24 likes this.
  23. aratcliffe

Well, I think this year's Love Child releases should be ISO:FT. I'd imagine so, at least.

24. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (5,064) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

You can taste the hype around here in Pittsburgh my local House of 1,000 beers charges 5-7 dollars for singles of sixth glass and tank 7. You have to drive all the way to Ohio to pay a fair 3-4 dollars for these offerings.

25. Bsetz

Bsetz Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Missouri

Two Jokers terrible? Man I loved that beer last year and really wish they were brewing again this year. To each their own though.

26. aratcliffe

Two Jokers was...fine. But Entwined was a rare flop, for certain.

gibgink likes this.
  27. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,859) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I am very happy that we're starting to get a lot of their stuff here. I've tried most of their beers that we get and I've been impressed overall. Some are good, some are excellent. Thought Love Child #4 was delicious!

28. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Disciple (318) Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina

We just got them here recently also so I've only had a few but Love Child #4 was one of the best sours I've had (also ISO lol). I would say they are very underrated on their limited releases, and Tank 7 is very solid year round saison. I personally didn't like Sixth Glass though....

JeremyDanner and SteveB24 like this.
  29. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,806) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've got a bottle of this I'm sitting on, for no real reason. @TheJermis any insight on now, later or anytime for Rye on Rye?

30. Bsetz

Bsetz Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Missouri

I will agree with that. I like the concept of Entwined but the beer was just not very good. They redeemed themselves, however, with Hibiscus Gose. Pumped for this summer when I can get that and Ginger Lemon Radler in cans!

JeremyDanner likes this.
  31. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (363) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I live in a frustrating beer market. The Hibiscus Hose got some play around here, along with Tank 7. Their BA RIS and other limited releases pretty much never make it to my corner of VA. Dark Truth came and went, which is a tragedy. The wheat was pulled off the shelves when it sold poorly during the Winter.

I'm nostalgic about the wheat. I spent a lot of my life in the KC area and that was my beer to alternate with stouts from March-September. Nothing like it on a hot day with the ole KC style lemon wedge thrown in. Are they surprised it didn't sell well in nJanuary! Hope it and Dark Truth comes back for the Summer.

32. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Initiate (125) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

If you've never had the beer fresh, definitely drink it now. We strongly believe in releasing beer that's ready to drink. We've already done the work of aging it for you.

BrettHead and 4truth like this.
  33. iong516

iong516 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

I spent a week in KC and was ready to stab myself if one more bartender said something like, 'oh you like microbreweries? have you ever heard of Tank 7?'

aratcliffe likes this.
  34. aratcliffe

Well, before too long, if you happen to return to KC they should have some more breweries elevated to a higher distro level for bartenders to discuss. I figure they're almost there with KC Bier Co, and not too far behind with Martin City, Cinder Block, and the brand new Torn Label. I hope Big Rip gets out there sometime soon as well; I really enjoy their stuff.

35. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

You gotta try the Lovechild...any of them!

JeremyDanner and aratcliffe like this.
  36. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

They need to scale their production back, maybe by 90%. Then they'll be the Best Beer Ever.

37. MOVERTON1284

MOVERTON1284 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 Alabama

Love Child and Saison Brett are amazing beers. They sit on shelves for most of the year here which is fine by me!

JeremyDanner likes this.
  38. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (644) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

I've read so many mixed reviews of the coffee stout and am very anxious to try it myself. No distro for Boulevard here in VT yet, but have a bottle coming in trade so I'll get to judge for myself. For the folks out there who have tried it, how pronounced is the coffee flavor? I've read both extremes and in between.

SteveB24 likes this.
  39. Notacraftdrinker

Notacraftdrinker Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2014 Florida

They rolled out in fla market a while back. Bought a single of each one. Outside of the hoppy wheat I loved all their beer. That tank 7 is unreal. I'll give them props anytime I can

SteveB24, aratcliffe and JeremyDanner like this.
  40. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Crusader (749) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Boulevard is great imo. I dont have a opinion on weather or not they are hyped enough. All I know is Tank 7, Double Wide,
    Dark Truth, and Collaboration 4 were all awesome, and Sixth Glass is good. So far although that is a limited sample of beers from them, and mostly flag ships, it's still a dang good batting average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.