Bourbon and Rye

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Leftofthedial, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Disciple (377) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

Seems like there’s a pretty big crossover between beer nerds and bourbon and rye drinkers so I thought it was about time we started a thread!

What are y’all enjoying right now? At the moment my main go-to bottles are High West Midwinter Night’s Dram (Act 6) and Henry McKenna BiB 10 year.

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,436) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

dcotom, Premo88, drunkenmess and 2 others like this.
  3. mkh012

mkh012 Defender (639) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

I'm dipping my toes in with a bottle of Eagle Rare. I've grown to love BBA beers like BBA Ten Fidy and BCBS, but straight bourbon is still a lot for me. I like it with an ounce of water or a little sweet tea.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,118) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Nice to see this thread.

Cheers!

5. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,384) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

Here are some pics from just last night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jrc1093

jrc1093 Crusader (784) Mar 18, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Buddy! Thoughts on the Antique 107?

Premo88 and GOBLIN like this.
  7. GOBLIN

Society Trader

Hated it !!! Well maybe hate is too strong a word but it was honestly my absolute least favorite of the bottles pictured. But you know I had a generous pour of the Weller 12 a few months back and it remains my favorite bourbon to date.

Premo88, TriggerFingers and jrc1093 like this.
  8. scream

scream Meyvn (1,035) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Buellit Rye is my eveyday

9. jrc1093

Society Trader

Very, very interesting....of the Special Reserve, Antique, and 12 Year, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard 107 get the low ranking. Did you find it too aggressive?

GOBLIN likes this.
  10. GOBLIN

Society Trader

Yeah that's pretty much my take on it. Very hot and it was the same on back as it was on the front. I'd be willing to give it another try but for now that sums it up.

jrc1093 likes this.
  11. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,074) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Currently working on this

12. jrc1093

Society Trader

Wheated bourbons often have a sweet spot when it comes to ABV, I find. Try to go at it again after the bottle's been open a month or so and see what you think. It'll change a bit.

chrismattlin, Rtsmithjr63 and GOBLIN like this.
  13. GOBLIN

Society Trader

I love Makers 46 and Flagship Makers. That bottle of Weller 107 to my knowledge has been open for about 6 months.

thesherrybomber and jrc1093 like this.
  14. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (244) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I’m pretty loyal to Woodford Double Oaked. That second lightly toasted barrel turns it into a toffee/maple masterpiece. It’s almost a dessert bourbon.

15. jrc1093

Society Trader

Woah, so in that case, if you get the chance at a fresh bottle, go for it. Have you completed the trifecta and tried Special Reserve yet?

GOBLIN likes this.
  16. GOBLIN

Society Trader

Not yet but I'll keep an eye out for it

jrc1093 likes this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,816) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve never had a bottle of rye, but I like rye in my beers. My favorite Bourbon is Knob Creek Small Batch Single Barrel. Cask strength 120 proof, but it’s got a ton of honey to it, incredibly smooth, very approachable given the abv. You can add a few drops of water if you like, an ice cube, but it can easily be taken as is too. A hair over $50 here. My daily bourbon in Beam Black, simply more affordable, and for a mid priced bourbon it hits all the marks for me. Really a nice whiskey for Mint Juleps and Sazeracs.

From here I go right to Islay Whiskies, I absolutely love the smoke and peat reek, salty, completely wild whiskey. I don’t have a favorite, I love Laphroaig 10 yr, nice price point, lots of smoke, peat, seaweed. I love Lagavulin 16 yr, it’s an older whiskey so I’m thinking it’s much more mellow than a 10 yr old whiskey, perhaps deeper flavors, still smokey but it’s controlled excellence as a more mature whisky should be. Not sure it’s worth 2X Laphroaig though. Ardbeg 10, a smoky monster, lots of peat, salty, feels like I’m standing on a rocky wind swept beach just lost in the whiskey. All three are great, I really need to feel frisky for Lagavulin, it’s almost 2X the others whiskies, but every now and then I spend it, just a superb bottle. I think you either love them or hate them, I don’t think there’s a middle ground possible.

#17 nc41, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  18. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,280) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I love Earlytimes almost as much as I love Pilsner Urquell (no sarcasm). But lately I've been finishing my nights with Weller (green label) and Buffalo Trace.

19. Wasatch

Trader

Not much of a fan of bourbons under 100 proof, Elijah Craig would probably be the only one.

Cheers!

20. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,047) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

The store where I buy the majority of my beer from also happens to have a killer whiskey selection. They do a lot of great private barrel picks which are really fun to try.

Open right now I have Jim Beam Repeal Batch, Elmer T. Lee, and a Four Roses OBSQ Barrel Strength. The Four Roses bottle is unlike any other bourbon I've had before. Weighs in at a cool 125+ proof, very floral and intense.

Waiting in the queue are Wild Turkey 101, Old Weller Antique 107, and Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.

21. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,804) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

My current whiskey bottle list includes Weller 7, Weller 12, Weller CYPB, Johnnie Walker Blue, Balvenie Doublewood 17, William Larue Weller, Sazerac 18, High West Midwinter Night's Dram, Quincy Street Bourbon Spring, Willet Single Barrel Rye, Angels Envy Cask Strength, Stagg Jr, and High West Son of Bourye.

I've had a couple of these bottles for years but it never hurts to keep a solid lineup on hand.

#21 aasher, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  22. Wasatch

Trader

Gonna have to say the same for rye whiskey, 100 (+) If you can find some of this or older.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015) 4 Yr. Old (100 Proof)

Cheers!

jkblr, scream, GOBLIN and 1 other person like this.
  23. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,804) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

EH Taylor is a big favorite of mine

Premo88, KBS, WesMantooth and 2 others like this.
  24. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,666) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

You guys are way out of my league. Bad experiences with brown liquor in college had me abstaining for more than 20 years. After noticing how much I enjoyed a few rye barrel aged beers, a bought a bottle to soak oak chips in for home brew. That led to some Manhattans & Old Fashioneds and eventually to where I am now. Sipping this one neat and gathering information for my next purchase.
    [​IMG]

25. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,090) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style, Weller 107, Buffalo Trace Single Barrel and a George Dickel Single Barrel open right now... the 1920 and 107 both need a bit of water to open them up... they are a touch hot... I can drink them neat but adding a touch of water brings the flavors out...

26. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,090) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Oh.. and some Redbreast 12 Year Old Lustau Finish.. I love pot still whiskey...

27. GOBLIN

Society Trader

Yeah I have a bottle of Red Breast 12 as well .... so delicious !

28. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (969) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I'm more of a scotch guy but have found a liking to a local Bourbon recently by New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon. It's their house made bourbon aged in Dragon's Milk beer barrels. Really digging it for sure.

Premo88, Rtsmithjr63 and GOBLIN like this.
  29. Wasatch

Trader

My only bottle of this, pretty nice.

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    Ty Tabor Nobody Wins When Nobody Plays 2013 Molken Music
    [​IMG]

30. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (340) Apr 29, 2012 California

I wasn't a fan of the Weller 107 or the Weller Antique either. Over-hyped.

Premo88, GOBLIN and Wasatch like this.
  31. scream

scream Meyvn (1,035) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Used to loooove Pappy Van Winkle's 13 yr old rye. Then either my taste buds changed or the recipe did. The price skyrocketed too. No more.

dcotom, jkblr, flaskman and 2 others like this.
  32. Wasatch

Trader

This is very good, some of the best shit I've had, was a free sample. The GTS shit is very nice, just depends on the price you pay..

George T. Stagg 2014 (16 Yr. Old) (138.1 Proof)

Cheers!

33. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Champion (858) Jul 28, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

i prefer rye. seems right.
    learned recently that rye used to be clear. only later in the game did they start barrel aging it long term. before that, only for ~48 hours.

tried old forrester 100 last night. was good.

34. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Elijah Craig is my favorite so far, but I'm familiar with only a few bourbons. Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are good. I'm on the lookout for a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

I've only tried one rye, Bulleit, and it tasted like dill pickles. I didn't hate it, but the dill note was overpowering.

NextBestThing and GOBLIN like this.
  35. TriggerFingers

I've tried nearly all of the bottom and mid shelf bourbons over the past few years. I really liked the old Elijah Craig 12 year. The newer small batch is still fairly solid, but not nearly as good as what the 12 year used to be.

Sub $20? Evan Williams BIB (white label).
    $20-$30? Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite "all around" in the price range. It's great! Wild Turkey 101 is creeping up there (because it is excellent). I have even found Wild Turkey 101 at Trader Joe's for $17.99 (which is absolutely nuts). So...I guess it can make it in the under $20 category as well?
    $30-$50. Knob Creek Single Barrel.

As a side note, my Costco had Redbreast 12 for $38 a bottle. I grabbed one, but haven't opened it yet. Pretty excited to give it a go.

36. TriggerFingers

I have never had GTS, but have always heard good things. Stagg Jr., on the other hand, will karate chop your throat if you drink it neat!

Premo88, Wasatch and GOBLIN like this.
  37. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,074) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Buffalo trace is a great bargain.

38. GOBLIN

Society Trader

$38 for Red Breast is an absolute steal, that bottle goes for $64 around here. As far as sub $20 bottles go I have give some love to Ancient Ancient Age.

39. Wasatch

Trader

Old Forester Signature at $26 is a very nice deal.

Cheers!

Premo88, brother_rebus and GOBLIN like this.
  40. TriggerFingers

It's been on sale at Costco since before St. Patrick's Day. Even Green Spot seems like it is moving more quickly. I was just there the other day and there are still a dozen bottles of RB12 left. I may just have to go back and snag another.