Bourbon and Rye

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Leftofthedial, Apr 21, 2019.

1. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,311) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I remember those statements

Highbrow and FFFjunkie like this.
  2. i_still_like_beer

i_still_like_beer Initiate (43) Nov 21, 2018 New Jersey

Basil Hayden is a tie for my favorite bourbon next to Woodford. Both of which are highly rated bourbon in general. Both under 100 proof.

dcotom, NextBestThing and Wasatch like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,131) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

One of the liquor stores where I trade ($1 to Fred Sanford) had a killer deal on these 375-ml bottles of Woodford Reserve. For 15 bones, I'm in all day long.

[​IMG]

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,118) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Mighty nice!
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    Jing Chi Vinnie Colaiuta Robben Ford Jimmy Haslip 2001 Tone Center Schrapnel Records
    [​IMG]

Jing Chi Live Jimmy Haslip Robben Ford Vinnie Colauita 2003 Tone Center Schrapnel Records
    [​IMG]

#84 Wasatch, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,320) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

For the price hard to beat that McKenna, love it.

6. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,384) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

Getting tougher to find though

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  7. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

Yeah , I snagged a few bottles the other week. A friend who drinks it as well said they jacked the price up where he lives which is 30 minutes from me.

GOBLIN likes this.
  8. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (262) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Im a whiskey novice and spend too much time and money on beer for my wife to let me buy high dollar stuff. I like Jim Beam Devil's Cut a lot, as well as Jeffersons. I went to buy a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year after reading the praise for it in this thread, but couldn't find it at my store. So instead I bought a bottle of Old Grandad bonded 100 proof - what should I expect? Any recs in the 20-35$ range for someone that likes Devil's Cut?

Cheers

NextBestThing and GOBLIN like this.
  9. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,384) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

I think you made a decent selection with GrandDads ... About a year ago I was pretty much in the same boat as you. Didn't know much about whiskey, most disposable income went towards beer, didn't want to spend too much. My advice is don't overthink this ... just purchase the occasional bottle in your price range and go from there. Maker's, Buffalo, Turkey, Evan Williams, etc ... Enjoy the fun !

Maestro0708 likes this.
  10. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (190) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden.

11. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,611) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Did someone say bourbon??
    [​IMG]
    Looks like I have some catching up to do.

chrismattlin, Glider, GOBLIN and 5 others like this.
  12. WesMantooth

Trader

Luuuvve rye. Obviously prefer higher rye bourbons, but also prefer 100 proof+ for most part. Drink almost everything neat. Splash of water to open up some. Makers and 7Up was my gateway. Most overrated for me is Pappy 23 (10 isn’t great either, but the 12 and 15 are). Most underrated vote would probably be SiB Evan Williams. Especially at $28. Four Roses is up there too. Bang for your buck... Henry McKenna or Eagle Rare. Although Wild Turkey and Dickel Rye for under $20 are great daily drinkers.

Favorites... Probably have to go with EH Taylor, Buffalo Trace Mash 1 White Dog, Bookers, and Knob Creek Rye. (I’m a Beam mash fan boy).

Every day drinkers... Redemption Rye (probably still my favorite rye with Willet 3&4 yr right behind), Buffalo Trace, and Weller Antique. I would include Old Grand Dad in both, but not distributed in Ohio. I’ll stop rambling now. Wait, don’t sleep on Old Forester 1897 or 1920. Now I’m done.

13. WesMantooth

Trader

Looks like someone went to Lizzardville at Polaris. Love beer shopping for German imports while drinking whiskey there. Make sure to try the New Riff stuff next time. It’s real good.

dcotom and GOBLIN like this.
  14. WesMantooth

Trader

I remember you talking about this and we had some conversations. Bought a few of the EC 12 yr bottles as I saw it transpiring as you foretold. Drank them. Still have an empty though.

Highbrow and GOBLIN like this.
  15. WesMantooth

Trader

Irritating and stupid too. First because it has been a Bottled in Bond, 10 yr, 100 proof, single barrel for $30 (or less) that has sat on shelves for years without anyone noticing. Then it wins best bourbon at the SF Spirits competition and suddenly everyone can see it. But, It’s. A. Single. Barrel. People. You aren’t going to get to drink the one that they crowned anyway. Stop driving the price up on a good priced bourbon.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,277) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

My bourbon/rye collection has dwindled as my rum collection has increased. Most of my "bunker" is still bourbon though. My all time favorite daily drinker is Elijah Craig 12. I only have 2 unopened bottles left sadly.

GOBLIN likes this.
  17. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

I agree, I usually keep a bottle in the house. My friend said it was $100 when he saw it, he generally gets a bottle every few months. Oh well if it goes up I will just keep getting Larceny.

WesMantooth likes this.
  18. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

That’s very interesting. I have to admit that I’ve never had any other vintage but ORWV 10 has been the best bourbon my lips have met so far. I loved the intense caramel/vanilla notes. I’m assuming the older vintages are smoother , but I thought the 10 was damn good myself.

GOBLIN, WesMantooth and Highbrow like this.
  19. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (434) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i tend to agree (10 v 12) & would love to know which vintage the 12 year old was he enjoyed so much.

in my view the 12 has repeatedly been the middle stepchild. i'd chalked some of that up to the 10 & 15 - 107° lending more flavor as well as perhaps (more recently) the 12 competing for barrels with Weller 12 & possibly WLW.

WesMantooth and FFFjunkie like this.
  20. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (711) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thank you for the correction! I figured vintage was the wrong term but couldn’t come up with a better expletive.

Highbrow likes this.
  21. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (386) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Goddamn! What is that, an 8oz pour?! That's a Hunter S. Thompson pour :slight_smile:

22. Highbrow

Trader

no worries there! i only honed in on that because in this specific exchange, that word "vintage" carries the same kind of significance or weight (in terms of value / interest) as high-end wine would.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  23. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,845) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Currently going between Jefferson's Reserve, Yellow Rose Outlaw bourbon, and Michter's US-1 Single Barrel Straight Rye. Need to stock up on more before my birthday, though.

beerdedking likes this.
  24. WesMantooth

Trader

Don’t get me wrong. 10 is still a very nice bourbon. I even had another one last time I was in Louisville that I paid $16 or 18 for. It just isn’t worth the secondary prices or chasing. 23 on the other hand is not a particularly good bourbon.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  25. WesMantooth

Trader

While I do tend to go with heavy pours, that one is a little deceiving. Probably a 5-6 oz glass. Tall and skinny.

not2quick likes this.
  26. KBS

KBS Disciple (301) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Can’t believe there is no Blantons love yet.

KRubes likes this.
  27. WesMantooth

Trader

I loved the Weller 12

Dragginballs76, GOBLIN and FFFjunkie like this.
  28. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (312) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

It's my favorite bourbon that I can actually buy. Other than that, I agree with the love for Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace. I like those more than many bottles that cost twice as much.

For rye I like Whistle Pig and Willett. For cocktails I go with either Sazerac or Rittenhouse but both are also good to just drink and are easy on the wallet.

My absolute favorite bourbon is Pappy 15 and rye is Thomas H. Handy Sazerac but I'll never own a bottle given the current market.

Dragginballs76 and KBS like this.
  29. ericco7290

ericco7290 Initiate (19) Apr 24, 2019 New York

I've been enjoying Eagle Rare lately and it's been hard to branch out because it's so good!

NextBestThing and chrismattlin like this.
  30. Rtsmithjr63

Rtsmithjr63 Initiate (120) Sep 16, 2017 Connecticut
    Society

107 is what got me hooked on bourbon, great stuff! Store picks are even more complex and amazing!

jrc1093 likes this.
  31. Drift

Drift Disciple (399) Mar 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Current Line up

2018 Buffalo Trace Line up

THH / GTS / Saz / WLW / ER17

PVW 20

Weller SR & 107 / Stagg Jr / BH 10 / ER10 / Baby Saz

Rtsmithjr63 likes this.
  32. WesMantooth

Trader

If you haven’t had the new Old Forester rye, or the 1897, try both. Highly recommend both. Then never buy either again and spend all your money on this one.
    [​IMG]

33. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I'm always getting the numbers mixed up :stuck_out_tongue: Loved the standard Old Forester, and wondering which to go with next (and not break the bank)

WesMantooth likes this.
  34. WesMantooth

Trader

This one is at the top of the bank breaking scale unfortunately. For what it’s worth though, I would pay well above the $60 tag.

Rtsmithjr63 and thesherrybomber like this.
  35. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (340) Apr 29, 2012 California

It's a good bourbon for sure. But it's so hard to come by. It has the subtle notes of something to savor slowly, but some bottlings can be underwhelming. There is just so much better bourbon that can be had anytime, anywhere. Some Blanton bottlings are really special...other's fall short of your typical $25 Buffalo Trace.

The 1920 is one I have waffled on a little. Some say...EPIC...others say, PASS. I think this has to be one of my next special purchases (Father's Day and Birthday upcoming). :sunglasses:

36. Highbrow

Trader

$49.99 at Total Wines out here.

WesMantooth likes this.
  37. WesMantooth

Trader

Ohio availability is decent, but prices are not. That’s why I always try to load up across the river from Cincinnati whenever I’m down there

38. KRubes

KRubes Devotee (484) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Love the fact this is a thread now.

Craft beer introduced me to good bourbon/whiskey. One of my first BA beers was aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. Needless to say I'm a big fan of BT, Blanton's and Bulleit. I also really enjoy Willet aged beers, but I can find the 4 year anywhere here in NC.

FFFjunkie and WesMantooth like this.
  39. WesMantooth

Trader

This is tasting like a one time purchase.
    [​IMG]

Dragginballs76, jkblr and FFFjunkie like this.
  40. beerdedking

beerdedking Devotee (451) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Just finished a fifth of Michter's Rye. Loved it, but of the three Michter's mainstays (Rye, Bourbon, American Whiskey) my favorite was the American Whiskey. Dangerously light and smooth, drinks way too easily

Rtsmithjr63 and FFFjunkie like this.