Bourbon County 2018

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beer_Economicus, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (439) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Since 2 labels have now been released - one for regular, and one for the Wheatwine (variant?), I figured it was time to start the new thread!

For posterity, here is the information from the 2017 thread that everyone normally asks about (thanks @VinHalen54 ):

2017 BOURBON COUNTY

2017 JEWEL Black Friday Prices
    $9.99 Bourbon County Brand Stout
    $12.99 Bourbon County Brand Barleywine
    $12.99 Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout
    $21.99 Bourbon County Brand Northwoods Stout
    $23.99 Bourbon County Reserve Brand Stout
    $14.99 Spiegelau Bourbon County Snifter

2017 BINNY'S Black Friday Prices
    $11.99 Bourbon County Brand Stout
    $14.99 Bourbon County Brand Barleywine
    $14.99 Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout
    $24.99 Bourbon County Brand Northwoods Stout
    $25.99 Bourbon County Reserve Brand Stout
    $14.99 Spiegelau Bourbon County Snifter

Also, this post https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bourbon-county-2017.516825/page-33#post-5744584 is approximately where things start to get interesting in last year's thread. You'll have to go back a few pages to look at what rumors were in terms of how much each store is getting. You have to go forward about 1 page to get to the black friday fun. Depends where you start counting.

2. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (447) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Placing the 2017 prices on the first post is brilliant. So the 2018 label links are in one thread:

Regular
    Wheatwine

I'm certainly curious to see what the allotment will be at LP this year. Will it be another double Prop cluster? Only time time and rampant speculation will tell.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  3. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (477) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Nah. I think we will see a down year for sure. LP is always a cycle between having to be there 6 hours early and strolling up at 9 to get a full allotment. Exciting Variants, Large Allocation, and how easy it was to get the year before led to the mess from last year. The mess last year will force everyone to spread back out this year and it will be back to normal.

4. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,350) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Now a whole new level of confusion between BCBBW and BWBWW

5. flat_lander

Premium Trader

Your positivity and logic are impressive in this day and age. I've wondered if this would be the case, which will have me rethinking my #LPneveragain mantra. If I end up next to you in line will there be BA Sump deliveries?

jlsims04 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Maybe if this year becomes my first Chicago BC trip, we can make it #LPcatchup not to be confused with the new Ketchup LP only variant.

jlsims04 likes this.
  7. flat_lander

Premium Trader

:rolling_eyes: It's Chicago pal. Ideas like Ketchup variants will get you in a fight.

8. macewank

macewank Initiate (155) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

I give it 2 pages before someone asks about 2017 pricing.

9. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,729) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Premium Trader

Some wheatwines are fantastic, while others just taste like barleywines, because they only get the name because there's a small portion of wheat in the grain bill. I wonder which this will be.

Also, I can't comment without getting in my jab about barleywine being a shell of its former self now that they don't re-use the previous year's emptied Bourbon County barrels. And sadly, it looks like this will now be an annual thing :cry:

JLA1221 and randjuke like this.
  10. Sabtos

Trader

I've actually enjoyed the newer treatment more than the original, both years now.

I'm also curious, what makes the wheatwines that aren't like barleywines fantastic? I've not had a wheatwine that distinguished itself significantly from its 'barley' cousin that was particularly impressive.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  11. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I'm curious - other than doing some repeats (a vanilla stout, a rare, a BW of years past) - are there any variants that you all wish they would make? Any flavor combos you're dying to try in BCS?

I think I'd love to try a heavily vanilla-Coconut version.

I'm kind of shocked there's never been anything with hazelnuts. I'm allergic, so not something I am interested in, but hazelnuts are popular.

Jmorey and JFresh21 like this.
  12. Bryan71

Bryan71 Initiate (94) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois

Blackberry Rye!

13. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (232) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'd like to see that Black Cat Espresso Barleywine they've done for events before

KevSal and Beer_Economicus like this.
  14. Sabtos

Trader

I don't understand how VR isn't an annual thing, especially these days considering vanilla is almost always the most popular variant at many other breweries. I know vanilla's gotten more expensive, but premium bottle pricing isn't something GI is uninitiated in.

gibgink, JLA1221, Boldbrew and 2 others like this.
  15. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (965) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

Anything coconut is an all-in for me.

And given how awesome Nutulhu was, yeah, I'd be 100% on board for a hazelnut and/or nutella version of BCBS.

16. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (169) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Maple+Coffee

17. Bryan71

Bryan71 Initiate (94) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois

Reading between the lines a little bit, it seems like head brewers that aren't also owners, get some creative control. Most tend to be very reluctant to do a previous brewer's recipe. My guess is it's a mixture of respect, pride, and wanting to make a name for themselves. Although GI obviously isn't a small brewery, the same feelings still exist. The one time I met Jared Jankoski, we had a conversation about VR and Prop '14. He was quick to point out that it wasn't his brew. He also admitted he'd probably have to do it again at some point. I had a similar experience talking to John over at Clybourn when it came to Nutulhu. Fingers crossed that they realize at some point that they are sitting on gold and that they call still make a name for themselves by simply being brave enough to do it.

18. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (679) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

I'm excited for the wheat wine. Although not exactly the same beer, I've held onto a couple Sweet Reputes that I'd like to do a side by side with.

ChiCubs78, FBarber and flat_lander like this.
  19. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (83) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

This would be my ideal variant.

Neapolitan would be tasty as well

Jason1221, JFresh21 and ECCS like this.
  20. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (232) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

There's been a long repeated supposed policy that Goose Island doesn't repeat BCBS variants on purpose. I went to the Making a Variant event last week and spoke to a few staff members who said that is not actually a policy that exists. They did say there is a bit of competitiveness from the individual brewers on creating the next variant/Prop, so it's plausible repeating VR or Backyard just isn't interesting to them from a brewer perspective.

They also said marketing has no say in the variant decision process. That part I was a little skeptical about, but that's what they had to say

21. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (251) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

With you. And in fact if it’s the same this year I’m probably going to pass completely. Save the $ for other variants. Even the regular id probably
    pass on at this point. Not bad-just hard to top 2013-2014 for me.

KevSal and JFresh21 like this.
  22. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (139) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I didn't see this until they announced it was sold out so signed up for a waitlist and they said they'll do another so fingers crossed. How was it? What variant did you make? I kinda signed up just to have backyard again without opening my last bottles and hopefully make myself a coconut bourbon county that can maybe come close to 2013 prop

23. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (222) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Still waiting on that peanut butter variant!

24. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (128) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I would like to see this as well. Although, the BC Maple they put in February was a mess. The maple did not work well with the base that is BC. Overly sweet in an odd way. The coffee would definitely provide needed bitterness.

Jason1221 and ECCS like this.
  25. jlsims04

Trader

shhh....this isn't the place for that kinda talk.....

26. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Really, it has no place in the Chicago beer scene.

27. jlsims04

Trader

As for variants I would love to see
    Nilla 3.0
    coconut 2.0
    Cacao Nib + Mint
    Blackberry Rye
    Port Barrel
    Cherry Rye 2.0
    Neapolitan
    Blueberry
    German Chocolate Cake

Things I never want to see in BCS again
    Maple of any kind
    Peppers of any kind

Things that they need to give a rest for a few years
    Cinnamon of any kind

28. macewank

I'm sure this is 100% accurate. Like I said in the 2017 thread, Marketing doesn't need to participate. They're going to sell all of it anyway. Let the brewers do their thing.

29. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (301) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Everyone acts like BCBS is this huge money maker for AB-InBev when in reality its like a rounding error on Bud Light sales.

30. jlsims04

Trader

this always makes me laugh as well. Not even a blip on the radar

31. Jplachy

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that most c-level execs at AB-InBev don't even know what BCBS is.

meanmutt likes this.
  32. macewank

Yeah I mean.. It's all a blip. Even within Goose Island's portfolio, BCBS sales likely pale in comparison to YTD 312 sales.

Obviously they're not going to intentionally make a turd, and it's all going to sell, so... why bother making it into more than it needs to be?

33. jlsims04

Trader

Yea. I agree. I mean lets say there is a million total bottles of BCS made each year. last year the average price across the board for the line up works out to basically $16. That's $16mm dollars.

At 13 bucks a case that's 1.24 million cases of bud light. I would wager confidently that more that 1.24 million cases of bud light are sold every weekend in the Chicago land area.

34. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (528) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I would imagine they do. Not getting a bonus in 2016 because you don't hit your targets will make you very aware of what's in your portfolio and how to maximize it.

Ferocious and JFresh21 like this.
  35. Jplachy

lol, no one's getting or not getting a bonus because every drop of BCBS sells every year no matter what.

HarbaughsGrit likes this.
  36. HouseofWortship

Trader

Who said that?

37. Jplachy

BCBS doesn't affect anyone's bonus.

38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yes and no. They don't specify that you have to sell X amount of BCBS, but every dollar of BCBS sold goes into ABI's total revenue which C-suite bonus targets are based on...

Ferocious likes this.
  39. Jplachy

Sure, and every drop sells. So what kind of research needs to be done here?

Zombie_Dust likes this.
  40. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (311) Jan 25, 2016 California
    Trader

2010: OG Vanilla
    2014: VR
    2018: Double Vanilla!!!!!

I can dream right?

They are due for a vanilla variant though!

jaysker95, JLA1221, Boldbrew and 7 others like this.