Bourbon County Brand Stout production levels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alphateam, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Gone here within an hour, probably significantly less I'd bet.

eldoctorador likes this.
  2. jeg53

jeg53 Sep 10, 2016 Iowa

Went to four stores, first one let you buy 4 bottles, but only one barley wine and coffee. Second store one bottle of stout. Third store, HyVee you could get the stout by the case, but one bottle of others. Went to another HyVee to get more coffee and barley wine

3. DropD

DropD Dec 2, 2015 Virginia

Walked in to the Wegmans in Fredericksburg at around 11am (they opened at 7) on black friday. Bought 3 bottles of regular and a bottle of Barleywine. They had no limit to purchase on the regular Bourbon County. I did drink one, and it was excellent.

Loops likes this.
  4. DropD

Is this the Harris Teeter by the Navy Yard?

5. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i long said that. but i think you guys are overlooking the real significance & are focused on the toothpicks not even the trees, let alone the forest.

follow the timeline. BCBS barrels were emptied November or earlier. let's believe GI is competent & therefore would have their BW base brewed & ready to enter emptied BCBS barrels immediately; (as opposed to being incompetent, leaving the barrels emptied to dry out for months & almost certainly become contaminated). can we at least assume that much?

following the competency logic: supposedly in November (or earlier) GI had no idea they bottled & were about to release contaminated beer. long after they knew they had released "off tasting beer", they still supposedly had no idea barrels were the source. the conclusion they presented to the public claimed a tank was supposedly the source. it wasn't until very, very recently we began hearing rumors they (now) suspect barrels were the source.

so the question is when exactly did they go to 1st fill barrels for BW? did they know way back in November their barrels were suspect & that's why they went to 1st fill for this year's BW?? & ( if ) they did have an inkling way back then, how does the audience feel about that many months wait for them to string together their own story that they felt would work; whereas they could limit refunds to certain dates?? <insert imaginary Light Bulb smiley/emoticon here>

it doesn't take a genius to realize had they originally acknowledged the source was barrel cross contamination, there would be tremendous pressure for them to "compensate" everybody for every bottle. either that or take a major PR ass whippin'. right?

6. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I was on the road on Black Friday. Called the bottle shop in Southern Pines NC at 10:20am. The one case (12 bottles) was sold out. They opened @10 and it was gone in 15 minutes.

My go to bottle shop in St. Pete got 2 cases and I was told it sold out in about an hour.

Go figure grocery stores in some places getting cases just sitting with no limits...maybe they sell a lot of GI year round...

7. DropD

I am not sure why, but Wegmans must have a contract with ABinbev or something. I suspect that's the reason they get way more than the small shops.

8. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

18 bottles of regular/person seems insanely high - I think that's the highest "limit" I've seen across all these threads.

My fairly high volume craft store got 36 bottles total.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  9. RJIV

RJIV Mar 14, 2015 New Jersey

North Jersey chiming in. It was more plentiful around here than it was last year. Went to Gary's and limits were 6 Regular / 1 BW and a coffee (if the beer manager felt like giving you one). They opened at 9 AM and that lasted up until noon. A lot of other places had one per bottle, but they said to come back this week as they were told they would be getting a second shipment.

10. NeverMeant

NeverMeant Oct 27, 2016 Arizona

And that was just for 2016 regular - could've also grabbed 4 from 2015 and 1 from 2014 on top of the other variants.

Normally I'd be hitting a few stores, but given the limits I didn't even end up maxing at the one. (Much to my wife's delight...)

11. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Sep 21, 2016 Texas

I love all the "conspiracy theory" like talk that always enters into BCBS threads.

Loops, skleice and aasher like this.
  12. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Sep 21, 2016 Texas

We had a store here post on Facebook there was 25 per person limit but no full cases allowed. Very odd post.

aasher likes this.
  13. nc41

Society Trader

I didn't participate in the madness, but volume was severely under last year. I'd be surprised if it was more than a 1-2 bottle limit. Gone
    In 30 minutes as usual here.

14. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I want this to be true.

15. nc41

Society Trader

I'm having im having problems wrapping my head around this as they pasteurized the beer this year.

Loops likes this.
  16. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

If the beer was bad before it was pasteurized it will still be bad.

BeerPugz likes this.
  17. nc41

Society Trader

They would have a real problem then, two years in a row. I only bought two, didn't feel like i needed more. Just finished for up a last years bottle, it was excellent. There's a good chance of problems when the goal is to up production.

18. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

Grocery stores generally do insane volume compared to liquor stores. They have much, much more in store traffic & often lower prices.

19. CHickman

CHickman Jan 7, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I drank a 2016 regular this week as well and it was damn good. Worth stocking up again.

flaskman, Loops and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  20. CHickman

CHickman Jan 7, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Disagree on this...regular last year was fine, the BW was an abortion but I've drank 1 2016 regular and 1 2016 BW and both were up to par. GI sold out years ago so the cluster fuck last year was an aberration IMO.

Loops likes this.
  21. hockeypuck

hockeypuck May 7, 2013 Maine
    Trader

Definitely less in Central Maine. I've never had a problem getting any in years past and this year none of the local shops got any. Closest bottle shop that got any was over 100 miles away.

22. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

You are correct, he's at Logsdon, or at least once when he first left Goose. Source: Me, former AB employee in Oregon and I ran into him right after he quit (right before I left the company as well). See also: http://brewpublic.com/beer-news/eri...become-head-brewer-at-logsdon-farmhouse-ales/

Also in regards to what actually shipped in terms of BCBS. Most areas got 1/2 to 1/3 of the quantity that was shipped last year. All variants were cut even deeper than 'regular' BCBS. Again, I'm a former AB employee with direct dealing with the Goose team.

cavedave, JackHorzempa, drtth and 2 others like this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I was at TW today and they have 3 cases sitting up front no limit. I gabbed some but the girls did not care how much I took, this was the San Tan TW.
    Cheers

24. beerspudz

beerspudz Aug 20, 2015 Michigan

I didn't want it to be true, and I was really disappointed when I opened it and immediately smelled it was off. Could be I was unlucky enough to have a 1 in a million bottle that was bad, but after last year I doubt it.

SammyJaxxxx and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  25. Highbrow

Trader

there was quite a bit of remaining 2015 product pushed back out this release. folks have reported their shock to get home & notice they had a 2015 bottle mixed in. are you absolutely certain your problematic bottle wasn't a 2015?

26. DerelictPI

DerelictPI Dec 26, 2010 New York

Relatively small city market in upstate New York.

Local Wegmans last year, 4 bottle limit, this year one case, so 1 bottle limit.

Main beer store last year 3 bottle limit, this year 2, until they saw the length of the line and went to 1 bottle limit (the line was about the exact same length as last year). Both Wegmans and this store reporter WAY less this year, which makes sense with the limits and how fast they sold out.

We also NEVER have gotten a variant here. I am finding it harder to trade for a coffee and a barleywine this year too, as I believe there are significantly less out there.

27. Samlover55

Samlover55 Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

I was in Cable Bev today they had Regular and Barleywine. They told me they sold about 100 cases of regular and still had more plus plenty of BW available. Also told me they are expecting other Variants as well.

Tracker83 likes this.
  28. bbtkd

bbtkd Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Regular last year was not fine for everyone, as a significant amount was bad and recalled.

#108 bbtkd, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  29. stratusjeans

stratusjeans Oct 11, 2014 Washington

Seattle and Portland seemed to get a lot less in my opinion.

I was in Portland for the release and went to Saraveza. They had 48 BCBS, 12 coffee, 6 BW. I'm not sure what they had last year but this was gone rather quick as you can imagine.

Last year in Seattle I was able to find BCBS up to a week after release. This year it was gone day 2.

I wonder what next year will bring.

30. beerspudz

beerspudz Aug 20, 2015 Michigan

Absolutely sure. That was my first thought as well - neck label said 2016 and the bottling date was 9/5/16.

Highbrow likes this.
  31. DerelictPI

Have them ship some my way!! Seriously though, that is amazing.

VABA and Samlover55 like this.
  32. Highbrow

Trader

i didn't hunt at all - i've yet to purchase any. went in a small local yesterday to snag a single item i needed to replace, happened to notice they had about 16 or so bottles of regular on the shelf. when i was checking out the owner informed me they'd received 30 cases of regular but only a couple of cases of coffee. 2015 Rare remains on the streets too. i figure i'll casually pick up some regular next week (after payday:wink:).

cavedave likes this.
  33. DropD

Last year I bought 5 bottles of regular, 3 were bad, had to drain pour them last month. I also didn't get the memo on the refund, missed out on that. I had a 2016 last week and it was excellent. However the '15's were really good until they started to get some age and the bacteria took over the beer.

#113 DropD, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  34. elucas730

elucas730 Feb 5, 2010 New York

We need to run down to Cable or find someone to run down there. On tap for growler fills right now:
    2014 BCBS
    2015 BCBS
    2016 BCBW
    Evil Twin/Westbrook Mexican Cake Biscotti Break

35. DerelictPI

Wow!! That is absolutely insane.

VABA likes this.
  36. NorfairLegend

NorfairLegend Aug 5, 2014 Illinois

Just my one usual, small local store got 20 cases of reg and two cases of Prop. Was pretty easy to find, most places having no limit with it still being on the shelves right now. I'd say for the $8.99 a bottle though, BCBS is a pretty strong contender.

37. Blutz

Blutz Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

This about sums it up on SE Michigan. One of the biggest stores in the area limited it to 1 4-pack per person in 2013 and 2014. Then 2 bottles per in 2015. This year, 1 bottle per person. And this was not the result of there being four times more people in line. They received 3 or 4 cases total.

You will not find cases for sale in Michigan. No 4-bottle allocations. Little to no coffee. Limits were 2 bottles max at the best of them. This was not business as usual.

38. chinchill

chinchill Feb 29, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Your CostCo gets BCBS!!?

39. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Every year there are complaints on here that stores are receiving 50% less than the previous year. Not sure what's going on, but I have to agree. 4-5 years ago I could grab all the 4-packs I wanted -- returning to the stores every day for several months and buying more. Now the local stores receive 1 case. Just had a BCBW the other night and it was absolutely epic. Maybe distros and retailers are keeping them for themselves. Seems to be a common theme in Central Wisconsin.

40. Highbrow

Trader

that's a winning business model if ever i heard of one! entities that rely on beer sales - not selling beers to instead keep beer for themselves. . . .said no-one who got a passing grade in 1st grade math or higher.

VABA, BIGPOPPAS and raynmoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.