Bourbon County Brand Stout vs Founders KBS

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bman_85, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bond111

Bond111 Initiate (184) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

The only time I've had KBS was a single bottle from a trade. Not sure what the bottled date was compared to when I shared it with one of my best friends after a turkey hunt. It was very tasty for sure. Would love yo try it fresh it becomes available.

With that said, I enjoy BCBS more, even though a single bottle sipped slowly over the course of a couple hours knocks me on my ass, hahaha!

Both have a special place though. Drinking this FBS has me ready to do a side by side with KBS!

2. mishuggah

mishuggah Initiate (149) Jul 14, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

BreakingBen HAS SPOKEN!

3. loki993

loki993 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

Ok, I'm back to add my piece again. I managed to get my hands on some BCBS and I had one this weekend so I can compare directly.

I can now say that even though both are great beers I prefer KBS. That's not saying KBS is better, I just prefer it. These are 2 VERY different beers. KBS think smooth Coffee, Vanilla and chocolate and a tad bitter. BCBS think bourbon flavored milkshake. Its fairly sweet, I wasn't expecting that and It surprised me a bit as I was expecting something closer to KBS.

Personally, and this is just me, I still think I get more barrel/bourbon from the KBS, at least the ones I had. I prefer the coffee of the KBS to the chocolate of the BCBS and I prefer the less sweet profile of the KBS.

I have only had one BCBS though and I should be having another one tonight so we will see. I also have at least a 4 pack to age to see how it matures. I have a feeling that given time this could be very special, not that it isnt now, but even moreso......

4. mattsander

mattsander Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2010 Canada (AB)

I prefer BCBS. The find KBS to be very coffee-centric whereas BCBS is more of a chocolate bourbon bomb. I also prefer BCBS to BCBCS, I think coffee just gets overwhelming.

5. JeepCop

JeepCop Initiate (94) May 16, 2010 Kansas
    Trader

Precisely my thought as well.

RyanMM likes this.
  6. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Went ahead and had my KBS bottle tonight. Wish I could join in the KBS love, but the sweet/bitter ratio is just not doing it. It's too bitter in the coffee/hops depts, almost to where it's indistinguishable from a non-BA stout. And the bourbon sweetness is too subtle. For a beer this hard to get, I really wish it was more to my liking.

BCBS Coffee or BCBS > Parabola >>> KBS

Disclaimer: I've had a LOT of BCBS and Parabola on draft over the summer, and no KBS (hasn't been available.)

7. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

Still made it in Chicago so as of right now no AB-Inbev swill as you call it.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  8. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

They are both good. Hands down.

ASUBeer likes this.
  9. RyanMM

RyanMM Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2009 Michigan

I live in Michigan. I love me some Founders.

I think KBS is overrated and will trade you 2 KBS for 1 BCBS any day of the week.

10. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,145) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Both phenomenal, search as many as you can. If you get extra, trading gold!!!

11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

To the OP, I'm not a huge bourbon fan either, and bourbon-aged/flavored beers can overwhelm me at times. But there are some out there that blow me away as well. Personally I love Bourbon County Stout, but the first time I tried it I was not a fan. KBS, however, I loved from the second I took the first sip. I guess my point is, don't judge all beers by the first one you try, and remember that there are wide variances within every given style. Try the KBS when you are ready to try it.

12. loki993

Id do that trade lol

I have to agree it happened with both KBS and BCBS for me. The first KBS was too much bourbon, the second was fine.

My first BCBS was very sweet, almost cloying, the second one was much more balanced and the bourbon shone through.

I also think some things are a bit of an acquired taste.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  13. mobius387

mobius387 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 Wisconsin

It's KBS >>> BCBS and if you think differently you're wrong and I'm here to tell you that and you must agree with me.

Seriously, these are two of the top stouts made in the world. Either is gonna be a hit for 99% of the BA's out there. If you're drinking one, just enjoy it.

ASUBeer and DevilsCups like this.
  14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I rated them both quite high but I would prefer a BCBS if I had to choose one to drink right now.

15. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

I love bourbon and produce rye whiskey for a living (amongst other spirits).
    Sounds like I'll take my BCBS fresh and do a tasting with some KBS and.... Dragon's Milk. :wink:

16. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

Abyss isn't half the beer that Bourbon County is. Plus, it's a west coast stout so Midwesterners don't respect it :wink:

ales4baldo likes this.
  17. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

BCBS is better in my opinion. However, I'll be putting all my money and effort into getting KBS. I'd rather buy a near perfect beer that's brewed by people who support the craft industry as a whole than a perfect beer brewed by people who hold down the craft industry.

And start flaming me in 3, 2, 1.....

DevilsCups likes this.
  18. foobula

Well, if ultimately the brewery/sub-conglomerate known as Goose Island makes a beer that I'd drive 200 miles to acquire, while the other brewery makes a beer that I'd drive 5 miles to acquire, I don't really care how the sausage is being made.

As a follow-up to the follow-up, had BCBS tonight. At room temp and chilled. I'd trade 4 KBS for 1 BCBS anytime... if I had 4 KBS. I only have two.

EDIT: I don't think "craft beer" as a whole is nearly as sacred as BCBS.

19. loki993

Which way did you like it better? Is it more or less sweet at room temp, I would assume more?

20. bman_85

bman_85 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2012 Wisconsin

Would like to send out thanks to breakingbad and grdave for offering up a kbs to me. And a huge thank you to dope for sending one out to me along with a local favorite of his. Will be bringing it up to door county next week for a 5 year anniversary getaway with the wife. Hell, as a gift I may even share it with her. :slight_smile:

Many thanks...

21. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

KBS when fresh for the win

BCBS aged for the win

Win win having either of these.

Zaphog likes this.
  22. Thedaver4220

Thedaver4220 Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Illinois

Nightstalker was delicious

23. cLin

cLin Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 California

Never had a fresh BCBS, but had a 2009 several months ago. It was simply outstanding. One of the best BA stouts I've had. Had a fresh KBS earlier this year and it was pretty damn good, as well. Didn't get as much bourbon in it as the BCBS, but it had great balance.

I'd like to try fresh vs. fresh, but as of now, I'd choose BCBS.

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Just tried my 1st BCBS a week ago, and I was surprised a bit, I had anticipated something closer to KBS and it's obviously not. Had my 3d one last night and I'm starting to warm up to the chocolate bourbon and the kinda sweet finish. Reminds me of Parabola to be honest. Starting to really like it, but if I only had the one KBS in a landslide. Still have to say as a hop head I prefer the bitter bourbon coffee finish of KBS a little better. Strictly a personal preference.

25. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

This.

I'll take KBS aged as well, but when fresh it has that coffee taste that adds a different dimension to it. Fresh Bourbon County is inevitably boozy, and I kind of have to be in the mood. Aged, it's absolutely phenomenal.

Would take Parabola over either of these though.

26. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Deactivated

Have any BCBS you'd like to trade for Parabola?

27. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

No, but I could probably get a sizeable amount of this year's batch. You gots the Parabola to go? :grinning:

28. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Ill take a BCBS over KBS. At least the 09 bottle of BCBS I had a month ago. Id also take BA SC over both:slight_smile:

29. foobula

It's all sweetness at room temp, which is fine. But in this case I had it chilled after having it warm and definitely prefer it chilled. The roastiness and the sweetness are better balanced at serving temp vs. room temp.

30. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Didn't read through much, but if you hate whiskey you'll love KBS. It's aged with bourbon.

31. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Deactivated

Si Senior. Gotz a few up for trade once you're ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.