Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

even if it wasn't something as amazing as bcbs, sometimes the hype around a beer propels it to a level where people go crazy trying to hunt it down because if they don't, they'll get shut out, especially when it's something totally unknown. the number one case where i got burned because of this was frangelic mountain brown. outrageous hype levels for what, in my opinion, was a middling dessert beer at best, and i wound up with three bottles, two of which i regret purchasing.

edit: to be fair though, this is bcbs. i don't think there's ever been a bad batch of it, and 2011 was probably the best "regular" batch yet, so i think people are just going nuts trying to get as much as humanly possible in the face of 1 4pk limits.

2. SchuStar

SchuStar Initiate (176) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Maybe. Because it went so fast the last couple years and most people only got 2-4 bottles last year. Also, maybe people are trying to enough in case they get shut out of BCBS next year.

3. matthageman

matthageman Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 Illinois

I showed up at 2pm at Binny's LP, but it was too late. I did get a kick out of some dude in there begging for the empty case.

I was on the list at Binny's on Grand, so I picked that up last night, rode home blasting "I got mine", and enjoyed one. Tasted great.

4. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Just got back from picking up my 4-banger from OP Binny's. They had two full cases behind the counter, so there's at least that much left.

The guy taking my ID info down told me he had someone in there from MI yesterday...I'll seek revenge when it hits distro up there. *pumps shotgun*

5. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Illinois

Vas Foremost on California is out. Sold out last night it seems. There was, however, one bottle of Pipeworks Blue Lady if anyone is interested.

6. jbland21

jbland21 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

South Loop Whole Foods lasted quite awhile...just sold their last 4-pack.

7. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan

I hope this was just a failed attempt at comedy!

8. HoyaSaxa7

HoyaSaxa7 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

So hows this for a story -

I'm studying in Ireland for the semester, and on a whim I walk into this wine/beer shop. I look around for a minute and don't see anything, so I'm about to leave, but then i notice a few beers on the far side of the store. I go to check it out and find Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout. I picked up two bottles (which set me back a pretty penny) but I can't wait to try it.

cheers

sonoma01, gklover1, greggers and 5 others like this.
  9. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

I know, right? I think the "raffle" is really just their way of saying "don't call us, we'll call you." Except, in my experience, they never actually call you.

10. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

I thought it was funny, but then again I'm a Charlie Chaplin fan.

crushedvol and raymo55 like this.
  11. sacullen

sacullen Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

Not true; I've been called as a winner.

12. stevegoz

stevegoz Disciple (305) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Just encountered a semi-gouge at one of my regular indie stores -- they called to say they got a case in and were putting it on sale today. I raced over there to learn it was $7.99/bottle; no limit. I settled for a 4-pack.

13. foobula

That's good to hear. I've done 3 of these now and have never been called. It seems kind of shady that they take names/numbers for several days and announce "we're about to have the raffle!" on their twitter feed with pictures of BCS, while selling it freely to walk-up customers (apparently how stephenieman got his.) Fortunately I got my BCS elsewhere, but the lack of consistency would really annoy me if I still lived in Evanston.

14. 71gto

71gto Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2009 Illinois

What the fuck, I went later last night and they said they were out!?!?!?!

15. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

That's a bit steep for sure, though I am sure it will sell out as it is no limit.

16. funhog

funhog Initiate (195) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

You start getting up to $8.99 and DFH World Wide Stout gets into the competition, $9.99 and 18% ABV!

17. Mandark

Mandark Initiate (199) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

What night? I got mine Friday morning and they sold out later that day....

18. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Hasn't hit Champaign yet, probably another week or 2.

19. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2007 Georgia

Got a question for y'all that have acquired bottles of 2012 BCBS. What is the stated ABV on the label? Apparently we here in Georgia won't be getting any because the alcohol content is too high (our limit is 14%). I'm just curious to get some confirmation of the printed ABV on this year's batch, which I thought was 14%, which would be legal here. Thanks.

20. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Illinois

15%

21. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Arizona

Thank you much. Now I'll just have to stalk my local beer stores around that time so I can find something before all the hoarders get it all.

22. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois

Drinking one right now, it's near perfect. Last years batch was great when it came out, this years is even better.

23. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Thought it was also good Rich, but far from perfect.

The 2011 batch hit the perfect balance of booze, vanilla, barrel character, rich chocolate malt character. The 2012 batch is hotter / boozier, not quite as much barrel character, and has a mild black licorice character that I haven't experienced before.

Very good, but not as transcendent as the 2011 batch was when it was fresh.

Cheers!

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  24. samie85

samie85 Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2009 Illinois

I work at the Binnys in Skokie. We took names up to a certain point and all of those people have received phone calls. We take names for our lottery because, in recent rare beer releases, we've had to due to such limited allocations. We're continuing to take names in case we get more BCS next week.

stephenieman got his because he talked to me in person @ the store a week in advance. I subsequently put his name in our raffle, he was selected for the raffle, but came in before I had a chance to call him to notify him of his luck.

funhog likes this.
  25. foobula

So you had a guaranteed list? No one mentioned that when I inquired about BCS on Sunday. I wrote my name/number on a slip of paper that was the first one in the raffle box -- my third time entering the raffle, and my third time not getting a phone call. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sore about bad luck, and I did get my BCS elsewhere. I just wanted to post my experience here to see if anyone else could relate.

I understand the idea behind the raffle. However it seems like it would be very easy to rig, pulling the names of your best customers every time while giving everyone else the illusion of having an equal chance. Knowing after the fact that there was a guaranteed list which ended with me doesn't make things seem any more legit.

How fortuitious! Apparently he was way off-base when he posted that BCS was in and available.

26. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I completely agree with this. 2011 had much more chocolate and coffee notes and was not as hot. 2012 is more bourbon forward (not a bad thing, this is why I love BCBS) and a bit more oak.

27. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois

I agree that this batch is boozier, but it is all bourbon flavor and not the bad hot booze that you get in some high abv beers. I got the good bourbon flavor, followed by a big hit of vanilla, followed by the rich chocolately malt character. I did not get the licorice flavor. I also noticed that as the beer warmed up and had a chance to sit for a little bit, that the bourbon and vanilla faded and it became more chocolate forward and overall more balanced. Overall, I prefer the bourbon and vanilla forward prescence of the 2012 over the balance of the 2011, but can understand how others may like the balance of the 2011 more.

Grohnke likes this.
  28. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2012

Great taste as usual, feels really thin though.

29. dahorn_spartan

dahorn_spartan Initiate (76) Sep 13, 2012 North Carolina

Binny's Skokie took my name and number when I was in on Monday getting FBS, and I didn't receive a call either. Fortunately I got BCS elsewhere also.

30. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

For those that are in the West suburbs and want some on tap Cellar Door of Downers Grove (full disclosure, I do manage their sister store in Hinsdale) will be tapping a keg 5pm Tuesday. I haven't finalized pricing and pour sizes yet, but estimate a 10oz snifter pour for about $10. We only got a 1/6 barrel so we're unsure how long it will last (especially since me and my tasting buddies will be there drinking it)

So come on down for a glass in a nice relaxed wine bar atmosphere. I always love meeting BA's so feel free to introduce yourself to me. I'm sure I'll be the one pouring it for you.

Here is the event page: http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/56867

TotallyHosed and Gonzoillini like this.
  31. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Next time specify to everyone that they need to keep it a secret (unless you did this time already and someone just didnt follow directions).

32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

You had me convinced to attend until this point. Meet you and your tasting buddies? I'll pass. :wink:

33. loki993

loki993 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

I guess its time for me to start calling around.....

Oh I understand and Im on your side. It really wasnt aimed at you but it was more of an amusing post as to how a few comments about someone pricing something way higher then everyone thinks it should be tends to bring the trolls out of the woodwork.

I totally agree but there are those on here that seem to take things a bit more seriously then they should be and seem to like arguing about things like that even more then they claim to like beer.

and that's all I have to say about that

szmnnl99 likes this.
  34. binnys25

binnys25 Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2010 Illinois

We will be releasing BCBS on Wednesday at 9A.M in Downer's Grove. It will be first come first serve. There is a 4pk limit since we are not getting that much this time around. We will not be doing any reservations for this beer. If anything changes, I'll post here and on our twitter account @dgcraftbeers.
    Cheers
    Vince

1noa, C2H5, stevegoz and 7 others like this.
  35. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

36. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (392) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

ABisonEgo likes this.
  37. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

Durb777 likes this.
  38. Grohnke

Grohnke Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

For those who werent able to attend, digestif was absolutely incredible. Highly recommend seeking out, if you're into that whole chocolate habanero dubbel thing.

39. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 Illinois

You forgot "Bretted". That base beer was a bretted dubbel. It definitely stands out in the barreled version.

kawilliams81 and Grohnke like this.
  40. 71gto

71gto Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2009 Illinois

I went Friday night, makes sense now. Sounded like you went after me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.