Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkFy

MarkFy Dec 18, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It was great, but glad I just got a sample of it. Can't imagine a full glass of it. BCBS still flowing when I left Clybourn at 730. Cheers!

2. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What are the charging for bcbs at the source?

3. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Jan 25, 2012 Illinois

$10/10 oz snifter. Honestly, I felt like my pours were more than 10oz. Also, I completely second those recommending digestif. It's a rare instance where you have a beer completely unlike any other you've ever had and it's amazing. I don't think I could do more than one in a sitting, but it is absolutely worth seeking out. Truly unique.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  4. agwalters

agwalters Nov 10, 2006 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Digestif burns in an amazing way. Every sip caused me to put the glass down and question whether I could have another....but the overall taste of it kept causing me to say YES.

10oz of BCBS + 10oz of Digestif = Goooooood night!

5. je1129

je1129 Feb 22, 2011 Iowa

Anyone know when it will make it to Dekalb or Rockford? Ill be there soon.

Prager62 likes this.
  6. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¬°Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Anyone hear when it is actually being released in the cheese land? Im hearing early as late next week to 2 and a half more weeks.

7. Zeller12

Zeller12 Nov 14, 2010 Wisconsin

I heard this week for Kenosha area.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  8. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

[​IMG]

9. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Vav, I admire you sticking up for your fellow Binny's employees, but you have to admit it the whole thing does seem bizarre -- a mix of a guaranteed list and a raffle, while implying that everyone has an equal chance via a raffle. On top of that, stephenieman is enough of a regular that samie85 knew his phone #, and yet somehow didn't know the raffle that he ostensibly won even existed. Maybe not aliens, just a rigged system is all.

I'm sure there's a good reason you don't allocate rare bottles in such a convoluted fashion at your store.

10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

More reasons why raffles inherently suck (for this sort of thing, anyway...).

Also, I had no idea Mr. Tsoukalos had entered meme territory. While I feel it's a bit simplistic toward the Ancient Alien hypothesis, that shit's fuckin' hi-larious (dammit, where's HistoryAdvocate so's we can debate that shit!?). Adam, you've made my day yet again...

11. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

My point is this: Just because the system didnt work for you this time doesnt mean it's rigged.

The individual in question (Full Disclosure: He's a friend of mine) i know for a fact is a once/twice a week customer at Skokie. It seems that he was rewarded for his loyalty. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

As for my store, i'll be frank: If i say i'm sold out, there is a pretty good chance there might be something in the back i'm holding for a good customer. Or i stashed cases in the Vintage Program. If i were to do a raffle, i would probably hold a few back for the same reason. There's no conspiracy. It's just business.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

[​IMG]

Now send me a private message and find a time to come in when i'm around to pick up a 4pk of the BCS i had put aside for myself.

Zaphog, KingBiscuit, JmH and 3 others like this.
  12. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Jul 10, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Just got an email from lp whole foods raffle. Guess I get to eat/drink the bear this time. No homo

13. BDub81

BDub81 Dec 8, 2009 Illinois

We actually told people to spread the word. We had a great crowd. Everyone that was there got to enjoy multiple glasses..

14. matthageman

matthageman Mar 27, 2012 Illinois

My brother in law asked me where/when he could find some in the Dexter, MI area. Does anyone know? I saw MI was getting their BCS this week. The Meijer by their house had an awesome beer selection, so I told him to call there.

15. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Shocker!!
    Capone's is on;y charging $23.99 per Beermenus.com
    Must be some sort of catch to it.
    La Primera is $29.99

da_bulls likes this.
  16. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Nov 8, 2011 Illinois

Prestige on Cass comes out to $34+ with tax. Needless to say I passed on that

17. jpsy422

jpsy422 Jul 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Binnys st Charles ~$24/4pk after tax limit 1 4pk

They got in 15 cases.

je1129, wsnich, ravot and 1 other person like this.
  18. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thanks for posting this. My buddy in Geneva has been looking everywhere for it, and I just gave him a call.

19. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Jun 20, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Still pouring at Goose Clybourn. I agree with those that have described a black licorice flavor. I also think this is due to some more charred oak flavor. However, I do not think it's hotter than the last two releases (keg only/2011 bottles).

The Digestif is very interesting. If you enjoy pepper brews, this is a must. It reminds me of Conquistador de Muerte Porto.

mbockstruck30 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  20. MaltMilkshake

MaltMilkshake Feb 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

It's worth it if it's true.

21. tonyclifton36

tonyclifton36 Feb 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I noticed the black licorice flavor too. Isn't night stalker supposedly the base beer for BCS, that beer has a really strong black licorice flavor when it has some age on it and the massive amounts of hops fade.

22. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've been told by a GI cicerone that Night Stalker, Big John, and Bourbon County share the same base beer. It's anyone's guess as to how true that is. The recipe information on GI's page shows them using the same malts, but different hops, fwiw.

23. TMoney2591

There was a separate base stout (can't remember the name at the moment). Dry-hopped, it's Night Stalker; with cocoa/vanilla (whatever it really was), it's Big John; aged in the barrels, it's BCS. Such is my recollection of the the situation...

24. zieglemt

zieglemt Apr 25, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is the impression that I was under as well.

So, have they never released just the base stout?

25. TMoney2591

I wanna say it's been on at either Clybourn or at fests in the past, but I could be wrong. I do know it sure as hell ain't a common sighting in the slightest...

26. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Jun 20, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That's right in the sense that Night Stalker and BCBS share the same base. Night Stalker is hopped up while, obviously, BCBS is BBA.

Yes, both Night Stalker and Big John had been bottled and released. No longer available, however it's been spotted around the country as recently as two months ago.

dlello2 likes this.
  27. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Saw both of them in the cooler at GI Clybourn last night.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  28. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Feb 10, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The base beer is known as Cook County stout. It hasn't been commercially bottled, but popped up on draft at a few special events in the past (last time I can think of was about 2 years ago though).

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  29. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Adding to this, my understanding is that Greg Hall initially crafted the "Cook County Stout" specifically to take to barrel-aging (or it was later formulated to do so). I think the "Cook County Stout" would be more of a novelty (nothing wrong with that!) than anything since it's effectively an unfinished beer (from the brewer's perspective).

cadaugherty likes this.
  30. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Feb 10, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Completely agreed. I have always been told that it was designed as a jumping off point and never really intended to be a stand alone product.

31. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

they have been on the "vintage menu" the past week.

32. stouts4me

stouts4me Oct 9, 2011 Illinois

Spring Hill Mall Liquors 222 w. main st, just got BCBS, but it is rapage - $33 a 4-pack. Have at it guys.

33. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

so i think the current price record is $45/4 set by foremost on kedzie/wilson (as discussed earlier in this thread)...hope no one tops that. yeesh.

edit: i set myself a price ceiling of $30/4 at most - gotta have some discipline!

34. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Nov 8, 2011 Illinois

Vas Foremost still has a bunch at $26.50 so around $29-30 with tax. I went there yeserday and they had a bunch of cases still on the floor. 1 4pk per person

35. tinypyramids

already got one there, and the dude knows me so i won't be able to get a second. surprised they still have it after a whole weekend and change..

ABisonEgo likes this.
  36. bertram

bertram Dec 18, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was really surprised at how much there was to go around - I had my two (plus my Wookey) and had to leave, but it looked like people were able to pretty much get their fill. Well done tapping!

37. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

when i was there a couple weeks ago they only had night stalker! (in which i picked up 3 bottles)

but they also had super old vintages of matilda and pepe nero (04 and 05 i think?)

38. zieglemt

zieglemt Apr 25, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yes, I'm well aware of these 2 in bottles, which are essentially variants of the base (one dry hopped, one with cocoa nibs).

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks.

39. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

So no other fresh sightings? I know W Grocer in Wicker Park/Bucktown got their allotment -- but there's a list and it costs $29.99/4-pack anyway. Other Loop-ish stores (Warehouse Liquors, Un-Cork-It, etc.) also expect it tomorrow or the day after.

For those still looking, there are still stores out there who haven't gotten any yet!

40. tinypyramids

priced as advertised. came out to about 26 something after tax. they should be getting more in on thursday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe