Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Woodmans in North Aurora calld and said its a 4 Pack limit and $6.99/bottle? Just in case someone doesn't want 4 bottles? Right....Like that would happen. Passed on it. $25/4 pack is my limit.

2. aefbjo

aefbjo Jun 8, 2005 Bahamas

Got my call at Whole Foods today for a reasonable $22.99 4pack. Glad I asked to get on the list.

3. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Aug 23, 2012 Illinois

archer liquors on the southside, picked up a pack for 24.99

4. Zenasdassman

Zenasdassman Feb 25, 2011 Illinois

Vas had some come in today and are expecting some more on Thursday.

5. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

I thought it was supposed to hit Indiana this week?

Stopped in to all the stores i visit most since they get their trucks on Tuesdays and nothing...one store actually gets shipments friday. Hopefully he'll have some then.

6. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Jul 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't be too worried. Some Chicago burbs are getting it yet this week. Just because the distributors got it on the 17th doesn't mean it's hitting shelves the next day.

dsal89 likes this.
  7. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Look man....this is serious bidness. I dont need to think logically during times like this!

...but youre right. Hopefully friday now :)

8. binnys25

binnys25 Jun 6, 2010 Illinois

D.G Binnys sold out in about 30 minutes. We had a line about 30 people deep right when we opened.

9. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Nov 8, 2011 Illinois

Binny's Willowbrook has it in

10. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

On the shelves in? When I called them earlier today, they said they had to satisfy a list before they'd release any to customers.

11. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

i think it was bottled under "night stalker" but i could be wrong

12. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

Do you guys think 24.99 is price gouging? that's what I paid at my local liquor store

13. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Jul 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't say so, the place charging $45, now that's gouging.

14. bgrzywa2

They have it in back. I called earlier today and it wasn't in yet and was told same thing. I was just out for lunch and thought I'd call again since I was right there and told they have it and you have to ask for it.

15. mdomask

Beer Trader

Not even close. It's a couple dollars above Binny's, but right in the ballpark.

16. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

Good God Y'all!

17. Seven999

Seven999 Oct 18, 2010 Illinois

I was actually watching this conversation as well (sorry for being a lurker, most of the time). I stop at the Skokie Binny's probably about once every 2 weeks now, since I started working in Evanston, and I was one of the first to get my name into the raffle at Binny's Skokie as well - it looked like 2nd or 3rd slip of paper to go into the box.

I also did not receive any calls. I managed to pick up a 4-pack of BCBS at Whole Foods, so it doesn't bother me too much, except on principle. They said they made it through the full raffle list, right? Or am I hearing things incorrectly?

I've been in 3 raffles now at Binny's Skokie, and also have never been called. Before I've chalked it up to bad luck - this time I'm not so sure anymore, if it is true that they made it through the whole raffle list. If they didn't, then fine, still bad luck. And maybe somehow I got my phone number on the paper wrong, but I very much doubt that.

Whatever. I just am getting less and less likely to make stops by Binny's Skokie and just head elsewhere instead. It's just beer, and even with the special releases I can just head by other Binny's or hole in the wall joints.

foobula likes this.
  18. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

This is correct. I was told there was people from the last release that didn't get any (possibly new people also?) that would get a chance to get some and then they would put in on shelves if there's any left.

19. bgrzywa2

They do have a list I've been told but they have already figured out how many they can sell because I picked a 4 pack up without being on the list. I went to the service desk, asked for bourbon county, the woman went over the speaker and asked someone to bring it to the desk from back.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  20. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Shaffers in Skokie has it in. I got a call from them because i was calling around last week looking for BCBS and they were nice enough to take my name & #. Don't think there's a list, I would assume you have to ask for it though, probably not on the shelf. I already got my fill so I passed on this, hopefully someone else gets an opportunity to try it for the first time.

Treebs likes this.
  21. tonyclifton36

tonyclifton36 Feb 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

United Liquors, 63rd and main street in Downers Grove had 4 cases as of noon today, no limit $24.99/4pk.

stevegoz and PDZ like this.
  22. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

These people's phone doesn't know what just hit them.

ravot, BrianBo and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  23. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

4 cases no limit, 20 minutes ago. Long gone by now

24. ShortHop

ShortHop Apr 24, 2008 Illinois

Interesting, I was told by Binny's Willowbrook that they no longer do lists.

25. jdhende

jdhende Sep 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What whole foods?

26. ShortHop

Anyone know of locations around Glenview that may have gotten it in? Thanks.

27. mdomask

Beer Trader

They've been very consistent about this every time I've called. During the 2011 release, they overbooked the list. This list is making good on those people who lost out last time around.

28. ShortHop

I see. So they don't do lists anymore, per se, but they are calling people from the 2011 list back when they did do lists? That makes more sense - thanks.

29. tonyclifton36

tonyclifton36 Feb 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Be kind, it's a nice old man and his wife that run that place

DBCOACHEMUP, BrianBo and bgrzywa2 like this.
  30. mdomask

Beer Trader

Exactly. They're making good on a promise they couldn't keep last time around. At least, that's been the very consistent message each time I called them.

31. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

thanks for the clarification

32. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I like the fact that not only do I understand what the phrase "certified Whale DONG" refers to but that I would also use it in a completely serious manner.

33. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

does DONG stand for something or is it just an excuse to say 'whale dong'?

34. weatherdog

weatherdog Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

Draft Only No Growler, or penis; whichever meaning fits the context better.

35. mdomask

Beer Trader

Yes.

ckobes, tinypyramids and MarkIntihar like this.
  36. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

ckobes and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  37. stevegoz

stevegoz May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I got the last one that was out on the floor at 4:45. And a sixer of Zombie Dust to boot!

38. ThirstT

ThirstT May 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The way I see price is this. If the bottles are $7 a piece, then that would be about a $13 bomber. I paid that and more for parabola. I feel like BCBS is supposed to be a more revered and respected beer. Hopefully it's tastier as well! So I will pay a higher price for a few. I also like the idea of letting places know that they are taking advantage of their customers if they are gouging, at whatever price point that is.

39. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

this is exactly why i set my price ceiling around $30/4. parabola is great stuff but imo bcbs is another level completely, and being able to open a 12oz whenever i want rather than committing to an entire bomber is so much more convenient.

edit: on tap tonight at beer bistro north: http://ht.ly/dQ8ry

40. bgrzywa2

Was supposed to be tapped at 9 but they tweeted it is already tapped

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe