Boxed 2008 Schlafly Barrel Aged Barleywine on shelf

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ThirstyFace, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Jan 11, 2013 New York

$9.99

Is this a steal/treat/grab that bitch up? Or is it sitting there for good reason?

2. robwestcott

robwestcott Nov 3, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

@ 9.99, just buy it, drink it and report back.

3. ThirstyFace

I figured someone would say that, but I was really looking for encouragement or discouragement

4. scott10010

scott10010 Nov 21, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I opened a 2008 this fall. Thought it was delicious. I'd buy one if I saw it for $10 today.

gkatsoris likes this.
  5. grumpy

grumpy May 24, 2005 Missouri

If stored in a reasonable manner, it will taste fine. Is it a steal? That's about what it costs, new, here in its home market. Do I feel it improves with age to the point that you should feel fortunate not to pay a mark-up? Not really. But, yeah, but it and drink it. Nice barley wine.

6. RDMII

RDMII Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Place online has all vintages back to 2008 for $10.99, so I'd say $9.99 and avoiding the hassle of shipping is well worth it. I had a 2007 last month and loved it.

7. robwestcott

robwestcott Nov 3, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I encourage you to buy the beer, drink it and report back.

8. beenitty

beenitty Nov 27, 2010 New Jersey

I've had all the vintages back to 2008. IMO its definiitely incrementally better with each vintage but it doesnt neccessarily get much more complex.

Definitely get it but, I dont think it will blow you away.

9. ThirstyFace

Thanks guys

10. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Jul 3, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

It's good, schlafly re releases vintages every year and they sit in there cellar, so it more than likely wasn't on the shelf for that long, and at that price it's cheaper than in St. Louis

11. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Jun 27, 2007

I think you found a treasure!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!