Braising in Beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Kenzie, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenzie

Kenzie Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Utah

I find this is my favorite method when using beer to cook, especially braising short ribs in a darker beer. Chicken wings in stout or IPA have also turned out amazing and I do them quite often. Do you braise your food in beer and what is your favorite pairing?

jaxon53 likes this.
  2. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Scotch ale and lamb shanks. On the sharing your pairing thread, I put up a pic of it a couple months back. Used the braising liquid to make a gravy then which was so insanely good.

Bierlerner likes this.
  3. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Seconded on the scotch ale and lamb. One of my favorites. Also good with a belgian strong ale.
    Belgian strong ale and beef shanks.
    Finishing off a smoked pork butt by braising in a porter.
    Salmon and witbier.
    Cabbage and red ale.

4. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,125) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Chicken wings? I like the sound of that! What is your recipe if you don't mind me asking?

5. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Champion (840) Dec 24, 2012 Washington

When I worked at the country club we would use porter for the corned beef. I have been cooking professionally for over 6 years now and have yet to have better corned beef.

Kenzie likes this.
  6. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (233) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Mine too! Or rabbit in a Belgian Pale Ale. Salmon & wit or hefe is also a fave - with lots of fresh dill.

7. Kenzie

I will use a 13 x 9 pan and put the raw chicken wings into it (use two pans depending on how many chicken wings you have). The chicken gets coated lightly with garlic salt and pepper, and then I pour a pint or so of beer straight on top. I bake them uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Once I take them out of the oven I will drain the liquid from the pan, coat them in whatever sauce I decide at the time, then throw them back in the oven for 10 minutes or so to crisp up. I usually make a spicy mustard sauce with jalepeno, garlic, jack daniels mustard, chalula, and a tiny bit of beer and honey.

Nick, that corned beef with porter sounds amazing. Now I'm craving a ruben.

8. Kenzie

I have never cooked with hefeiweizen but it makes sense that it would go well with fish Your salmon also sounds delicious.

9. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

somewhere on the Sierra Nevada facebook page is a recipe for Celebration Ale braised carnitas. My wife has been playing around with that and various IPA's. Very delicious.

10. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,434) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Dumb question and Kenzie seems to have answered it in regards to wings but what is braising exactly?

11. Kenzie

Braising is typically a combination cooking method where you first sear the meat then add a certain liquid to it (beer, wine, stock, etc.). In order for the liquid to flavor the meat and for the meat to be tender and juicy you might have to cook at a lower temperature for an extended period of time. When I braise beef, particularly short ribs, I cook at about 200 for 2 hours so the fat carmalizes, the beer reduces, and in general I'm going to get a lot of flavor in my meat.

12. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,434) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Great info. You sear everything first though?

13. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Generally, yes. It's not NESSESSARY for it to be a braise, but it does add a lot of flavor and makes everything better. The exception would be something like chicken wings, where they would cook too much by searing them first.

Kenzie likes this.
  14. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Devotee (470) Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

I like braising chuck roast in beer and then shredding it with a couple of forks. I've done it in black lager with vegetables and served it over noodles, and I've done it in Pilsner with Italian peppers and onions and made sandwiches out of it.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (620) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I have found braising deer shoulder or ham in Breakfast Stout is pretty good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.