Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Braising in Beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Kenzie, May 3, 2013.

1. Kenzie

I find this is my favorite method when using beer to cook, especially braising short ribs in a darker beer. Chicken wings in stout or IPA have also turned out amazing and I do them quite often. Do you braise your food in beer and what is your favorite pairing?

jaxon53 likes this.
  2. bpgpitt10

Scotch ale and lamb shanks. On the sharing your pairing thread, I put up a pic of it a couple months back. Used the braising liquid to make a gravy then which was so insanely good.

Bierlerner likes this.
  3. Bierlerner

Seconded on the scotch ale and lamb. One of my favorites. Also good with a belgian strong ale.
    Belgian strong ale and beef shanks.
    Finishing off a smoked pork butt by braising in a porter.
    Salmon and witbier.
    Cabbage and red ale.

4. jaxon53

Subscriber Beer Trader

Chicken wings? I like the sound of that! What is your recipe if you don't mind me asking?

5. NickThePyro

When I worked at the country club we would use porter for the corned beef. I have been cooking professionally for over 6 years now and have yet to have better corned beef.

Kenzie likes this.
  6. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Mine too! Or rabbit in a Belgian Pale Ale. Salmon & wit or hefe is also a fave - with lots of fresh dill.

7. Kenzie

I will use a 13 x 9 pan and put the raw chicken wings into it (use two pans depending on how many chicken wings you have). The chicken gets coated lightly with garlic salt and pepper, and then I pour a pint or so of beer straight on top. I bake them uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Once I take them out of the oven I will drain the liquid from the pan, coat them in whatever sauce I decide at the time, then throw them back in the oven for 10 minutes or so to crisp up. I usually make a spicy mustard sauce with jalepeno, garlic, jack daniels mustard, chalula, and a tiny bit of beer and honey.

Nick, that corned beef with porter sounds amazing. Now I'm craving a ruben.

8. Kenzie

I have never cooked with hefeiweizen but it makes sense that it would go well with fish Your salmon also sounds delicious.

9. minnesotaryan

somewhere on the Sierra Nevada facebook page is a recipe for Celebration Ale braised carnitas. My wife has been playing around with that and various IPA's. Very delicious.

10. ZAP

ZAP

Dumb question and Kenzie seems to have answered it in regards to wings but what is braising exactly?

11. Kenzie

Braising is typically a combination cooking method where you first sear the meat then add a certain liquid to it (beer, wine, stock, etc.). In order for the liquid to flavor the meat and for the meat to be tender and juicy you might have to cook at a lower temperature for an extended period of time. When I braise beef, particularly short ribs, I cook at about 200 for 2 hours so the fat carmalizes, the beer reduces, and in general I'm going to get a lot of flavor in my meat.

12. ZAP

ZAP

Great info. You sear everything first though?

13. franklinn

Generally, yes. It's not NESSESSARY for it to be a braise, but it does add a lot of flavor and makes everything better. The exception would be something like chicken wings, where they would cook too much by searing them first.

Kenzie likes this.
  14. Hockey_Fan

I like braising chuck roast in beer and then shredding it with a couple of forks. I've done it in black lager with vegetables and served it over noodles, and I've done it in Pilsner with Italian peppers and onions and made sandwiches out of it.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  15. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

I have found braising deer shoulder or ham in Breakfast Stout is pretty good

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe