Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Brett in the secondary question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by allouez86, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allouez86

allouez86 Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

I've got a saison that's been fermenting for about a week and is tasting pretty darn good right now. I've got a tube of White Labs Brett Brux in the fridge and am thinking about throwing it in the secondary for a while. Being my first time using Brett, naturally I have a couple questions.

1. Should I rack the saison into a new carboy before I throw in the brett or should I leave it in the primary carboy and then add the brett and let it sit for a few months until I get the flavors I'm looking for?
    2. If I do move it to a secondary fermentor, should I wait until the saison is completely done fermenting or should I add the brett when it gets closer to the final OG but hasn't completely stopped fermenting? Also read somewhere that it may be helpful to dump the trub from the primary carboy into the secondary. Anybody ever do this?
    3. I've read that if the brett is going into the secondary then you most likely won't need to make a starter for it, so I'm guessing I'm safe just dumping in the brett straight out of the White Labs tube?

Thanks in advance.

2. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Nov 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Transfer it, add the tube, give it time. I would do it after a few weeks, once the Saison yeast has finished.

3. allouez86

allouez86 Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Awesome. Thanks for the response.

4. OddNotion

OddNotion Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Which saison strain did you use and what FG are you expecting before the Brett addition?

5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Subscriber

I will toss out another option... bottle with it. I did a Saison with 3724, FG 1.005, bottled with Brett from Orval, started drinking some of it and aged half. Took 2nd place in category after 7 months in the bottles. Still have some sitting around at 20+ months now (need to drink one this weekend). As long as the FG is low, you can bottle it and skip the whole secondary thing. Also, I am cheap, and Brett isn't, so I would pitch that puppy into a starter, and after a few weeks, swirl up the starter and pour 1/3 of it into the bottling bucket (or secondary if you still go that direction), and keep the rest pure for a Brett primary beer in the future, or to pitch into the next Saison, etc.

6. ryane

ryane Nov 21, 2007 Washington

1 - In this case transfer - lees are only good for sours, brett only isnt what I would consider a sour

2 - I would add early, youll get more flavor, and quicker

3 - you could but like someone else said, make a starter and then you can reuse the yeast

Also, just and FYI, but the WL brett strains tend to be far more funky/fecal than the WY versions (save for trois)

7. MRsojourner

MRsojourner Dec 28, 2011 Massachusetts

I used 3724 and the gravity got down to 1.008 and I pitched WLP brett brux and within a week got a pellicle going. within 2.5 weeks it dropped 2.5 points. im planning on at least another two months and I didn't bother transferring.
    My question is if you don't want to wait for the pellicle to drop will cold crashing drop out the pellicle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe