Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Brett infection

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by havok1024, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. havok1024

havok1024 Aug 19, 2010 New Jersey

Some how I am not sure, my ale got contaminated from my cider. The beer actually tastes very good as a result. My question is, am I screwed from here on out with Brett in my equipment or can I still clean and sanitize it out?
  2. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Anything plastic probably needs replacing (better bottles, tubing, racking devices, bungs, airlocks, etc.). Anything glass is probably okay after some serious cleaning (i.e. bleaching).

I do not speak from experience, only from what I've read/heard.
  3. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I think the infection concern is a valid one, but often overstated.

Did you sour the cider? Or, just ferment with brett? I have done brett beers before, and never had an infection...but they weren't soured either.
  4. havok1024

havok1024 Aug 19, 2010 New Jersey

I used a form of wine yeast for the cider. The Viking ale I made tasted sour could that be from the wine yeast?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!