Breweries in need of rebranding?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Luckytiki, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Initiate (137) May 21, 2013 Colorado

I honestly have a hard time finding any GF in liquor stores as the labels are just so unassuming and the font is usually pretty small. I usually find it on my second or third pass.

2. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Initiate (137) May 21, 2013 Colorado

That owl is majestic as fuck.

3. RobM77

RobM77 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

The Green Flash labels are kinda plain, but I do like the colors they use in the labels. Keep the color scheme, change the labels, but again, as stated, it's what is in the bottles. I think Green Flash makes some tremendous beers. I have the privilege of being able to visit the brewery on a Wednesday a few weeks ago when they have extended hours and feature a "food truck". What a great set up, nice brewery, good people and great time.

4. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

If I didn't know what Gf was, I'd never buy it.

For me, it's in the section with the other Cali beers, so I see it, otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Finishing up a Le Freak as I type this, and I'm just now noticing how massive their bottles are. Really thick and old looking.

Gipsy_Danger likes this.
  5. mgross50

mgross50 Initiate (25) Apr 15, 2004 New York

I agree 100%!
    When I saw the title of this thread they came to mind. The new labels are a real turn-off!

6. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Couldn't get through three pages without coming to the conclusion that way too many craft beer drinkers weigh the value of a beers brand based on the label art.

Labeling does not equal branding. Branding does not equal labeling.

JayORear likes this.
  7. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

Regarding Short's, I noticed recently that the website has undergone a massive makeover. It still seems to incorporate the sometimes-unrefined colored pencil drawings from the labels, however.

8. Brutalism_X

Brutalism_X Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Maryland

I'd say Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas. Love whats inside (especially Heavy Seas) but their labels need help.

9. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

If the beer is good, a brewery could slap a post-it note on their bottles and hand write the beer name with a black sharpie for all I care.

jessilea and ilovermont like this.
  10. Luckytiki

Luckytiki Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 Indiana

11. ElGallo

ElGallo Meyvn (1,138) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

The Smuttynose seal and the image of Paul & Cy on the Finestkind label are iconic and need to stay. That being said, I hope the brewery tries some re-branding to coincide with the opening of the new brewery. I realize they tried something edgy with the vintage Dymo label look for the Short Batch bottlings [those would be the labels where you have to read the fine print to even find the word "Smuttynose"], but that whole series has had problems since they went to bottling...

The Big Beer Series and non-Finestkind year-rounds need some re-vamping with the labels. I love Smuttynose beer, but the Homunculus labels stated pretty loud and clear, "Yeah, we really don't give a shit about brand anymore."

Note to Smutty: bottle a Short Batch of bourbon barrel Baltic Porter and all will be forgiven :rolling_eyes:

12. Gotti311

Gotti311 Crusader (794) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Berghoff just tried to do this. Havent tried it out yet.

For those that mentioned Capital, if you count the head brewer leaving and starting up his new company, then I would consider that a type of rebrand. Again, I will hold back my snide remarks until I get a chance to try. But calling yourself Wisconsin Brewing Company and building a huge facility before you sell a single beer does say a lot.

13. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2012 Illinois

Alright homer, step back from the ledge. Not everyone here is from Michigan and in love with every single thing Bells has done with their labeling. Just because something has been around for a while doesn't mean its a true classic and should remain unchanged.

Perhaps what is inside the bottle is a true classic, and I would say the Bells logo is, but not all of the artwork on all of the labels are a "true classic". The Sierra Nevada logo and labels tell the story of where the beer comes from and what is inside in a very classic and well designed way. Two Hearted doesn't do that in many people's opinions as has been expressed in this thread. If you ask me the old label for Two Hearted was better.

[​IMG]
    Perhaps you should complain to Bells about how they changed their classic label years ago.

And really, comparing the Bells branding efforts to the Statue of Liberty...

smutty33, Scrapss and Beezee like this.
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Hyperbole, it is the best thing ever.

15. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2012 Illinois

Rendering someone incapable of defending their argument that was based solely upon emotional opinion, best thing ever.

Scrapss and MLaVioletteJr like this.
  16. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Way too serious, man.

jessilea and dholway like this.
  17. The_Doubtful_Guest

The_Doubtful_Guest Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 New York

Local brewery 'round here called CB's Brewing Company

First of all the name -- the CB stands for Custom Brewcrafters, so the full name is "Custom Brewcrafters Brewing Company" *yawn*

Secondly the labels on their beer. They all just say CB's with a cartoony label below. They make some really solid brews but their labels and company name make them seem so... blah and generic.
    [​IMG]

18. shand

shand Poo-Bah (1,764) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

I'll guess you're absolutely right here because their new branding is actually rather nice looking but I'm assuming you haven't seen it yet because your shelves are clogged with old bottles.

19. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Am I the only one who wishes new breweries would spend more time on their beer and less on their packaging? Don't get me wrong, I love a cool bottle cap...but I'd prefer something that doesn't suck inside the bottle.

Norica likes this.
  20. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

I don't see how the two process are related.

Good brewer=/=Bad designer
    Good designer=/=Bad brewer

It doesn't mean if the beer is crappy but the artwork is awesome that the brewer spent too much time in Photoshop and not enough time brewing. It probably just means he/she isn't a very good brewer...or is a better designer than brewer...or hired a better designer than s/he is a brewer.

21. hnandez

hnandez Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 California

I feel like Port Brewing has bad labels. They make some serious beers that are awesome with silly labels that I would expect to be on some lame run of the mill touristy crap....sorry.

22. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (355) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

And that's bad?

23. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,461) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've come to realize that many of us are a little intoxicated (imagine that!) while posting, so I give all kinds of grammar passes. Still hate the drink/drank/drunk confusion, though . . .

24. JohnMoor

JohnMoor Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012

Penn Brewery needs to desperately re-brand and update their image. Who's with me!

jessilea likes this.
  25. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,788) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Henry Weinhard
    Sculpin
    COAST
    Green Flash

None of these are bad beers though, the labels just blow.

26. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Central Waters!!! These guys make some pretty good beer, but their labels/6ers are all the same.

27. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

If they put dumpster juice in this bottle it would probably taste good to me, I love this label.

28. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Illinois

I actually like the 6 pack design more than the cans.. those cans definitely look soulless

29. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Most of Dogfish's labels are terrible. There's only a couple appealing looking bomber labels in their entire line.
    Epic's (especially the bombers) are plain and boring. Smoked and Oaked, Imperial IPA, Santa Cruz brown are all terribly plain.
    Ithaca needs a total overhaul. Cartoony and people probably overlook Flower Power because of it.
    Lagunitas is boring as anything and some are just plain terrible (Hop Stoopid). The rest of the 6 pack line is copy/paste with whatever the beer name.
    Schlafly's are quite boring. Not the worst, but really doesn't sell their beer.
    Mendocino's packaging is atrocious. Stop with the hawks, just stop.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

30. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Yes

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I agree that dogfish head has ugly labels. And the colors. It's like bad home decorator colors. Now that flower power label, that speaks to me. It's so brady bunch. :grinning:

32. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Maybe the labels suck, but the copper caps from DFH are pretty bitchin'.

utopiajane likes this.
  33. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

34. mitch3114

mitch3114 Disciple (397) Feb 20, 2012 New York

agreed, what's up with the ridiculously looking jester on the blithering idiot bottles? I hated the old one and then, they rebranded and the new label looks like a wierd jester doll that would appeal to an old lady. Just terrible.

35. BulletsOverHamburgers

BulletsOverHamburgers Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Virginia

Victory, Schlafly, Williamsburg Alewerks (flagship sixpacks)

36. mitch3114

mitch3114 Disciple (397) Feb 20, 2012 New York

agreed...if the brewery doesnt put that much effort into their labels, and it looks generic...many times the beer is generic. For that reason, I have never tried a single green flash beer. Just doesnt look appealing at all

37. RobM77

RobM77 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Come to think of it, Great Divide's labels are pretty damn generic too. It's a good thing I like about 11 of their beers though, kind of makes me think of those labels less. They are easy to notice though, just not much thought in them.

38. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Correct, sir.

39. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,437) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I really like Smuttynose beers, but the name and labeling always makes me feel like it would be the beer preference by the wealthy blue-blood yacht and sailboat crowd. Annapolis, Newport, Martha's Vineyard people. I'm sure that's probably not true, but that's what the branding makes me feel therefore that is not a positive marketing plan in my book for a craft brewer.

40. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Disciple (372) Apr 27, 2004 New York

Ok, sorry to nitpick, but branding is not the same as labeling. Labeling is a vital part of any brand, but they are not the same thing. For example, Ommegang's new labels are horrible, but they are still very much a Belgian style brewery, whic is not a departure from their original brand. The game of Thrones tie in is gimmicky (in a good way) but not a rebranding.

As for how this thread has actually steered itself...
    I'm generally not a fan of labels that look TOO similar. Bells is a good example of a brewery that has stuck with similar labels, but each beer has a distinct look. You won't reach for an Oberon and grab a Two Hearted by mistake.

On the other hand, you might do that with Southern Tier (better thand their old labels but still not great) Hoppin Frog, Green Flash.

VictorWisc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.