Breweries in Planning - Connecticut

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by pbrian, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,487) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

To me, it just seems like a lot of the breweries in ct aren’t doing much to differentiate themselves from one another. Most seem to be your typical IPA factory and nothing more beyond that. Just an observation.

BababooeyHTJ and brutalfarce like this.
  2. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (250) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Anyone stopped in yet to Housatonic?

brutalfarce likes this.
  3. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (746) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I never did make it in there that day...

brutalfarce likes this.
  4. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

darkandhoppy, sulldaddy and MKozaka like this.
  5. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,494) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

The beer game is strong with these furry ones. Gonna have to bring it for special releases.

6. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

I think there are way too many mediocre ones.

mlm61 likes this.
  7. pbrian

Stopped by today after work and had a flight of 4 of their beers. Let’s just say you can tell they’re home brewers getting used to a commercial system. Meh across the board. They’ll do fine though, good space and there are enough dead tongue newbies that’ll think this is good beer.

EDNOSE and Shyla987 like this.
  8. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Let the novices pay the bill. Thx.

9. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (117) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

I actually stopped in this afternoon to Housatonic as well on my way home. Agreed that each of the 3 beers I tried were mediocre. Now, I’m clearly conditioned by the current hazy IPA trends, but when the ‘milkshake IPA’ poured out like an amber (the lighting was low, may have not been amber but certainly didn’t look like any ‘hazy’ or ‘milkshake’ IPAs I’ve had), and tasted unlike any other ‘milkshake’ IPA I’ve had, I realized I probably wouldn’t be stopping in anytime soon.

Related, has anyone tried the nearby Bad Dream, also on the same stretch in New Milford?

10. pbrian

Ha, that's funny, I wonder if we crossed paths. But I was there early, about 3;30-4:30. I didn't try the Milkshake as I always steer clear of them. I tried to keep the line up basic, the hallmark of any brewery should be their pale ale and IPA. The pale was overly sweet, no hop nose and didn't have a pleasant finish. The IPA was the "best" of the bunch at least, had a nice bitter punch. I'd have another one of those. The Brown ale was just meh, and I don't think it's hard to make a decent brown ale. And the coffee porter actually had the deepest flavor and started off quite nice. But after even just a 4oz sample, it left an astringent aftertaste. maybe I'm being overly harsh and I think and hope that things will improve, but I'm going to give it a while until I go back.

And no, have not been to Bad Dream, but I'll be back in NM next week, so maybe then....

brutalfarce and Michaelpro824 like this.
  11. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Ha! This made me laugh, so true. Someone I had just met recommended Powder Hollow (beers less than meh) to me last week. I had to ask: "What beer do you normally drink?" Answer: "Don't usually drink beer but I might drink Coors sometimes". Have you been to any other breweries in CT? No. So to them, that's good beer. Ugh.

mlm61, Schuee, BababooeyHTJ and 3 others like this.
  12. Beerisgood4u

Beerisgood4u Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Anyone hear of a brewery in the works in Devon/Milford at theFlagship marina?
    I think this would be a awesome spot with great ambiance. Not a garage like Milford point or a crap spot Tribus is in.

13. CTHopman

Maybe some trust fund baby like yourself can back a brewery in a "high rent" district. Tribus is hardly a crap spot. Admittedly, a bit off the beaten path but hardly a crap spot. Nor is the brewery crappy, nor is the beer crappy, nor are the owners/brewers crappy.

14. Beerisgood4u

Beerisgood4u Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Well sorry not to agree with you.
    I said nothing about their beers or the owners that I don’t have a qlue as to who they are yet you respond like I dissed them or their beer. The location sucks. IMHO

lbower860 likes this.
  15. Shyla987

Tribus owners used to be brewers at NEBCo.

The new one in Milford on the waterfront is called Dockside. They have approvals from the town, I think they're working on construction. More info here on their website here: https://www.dockside15.com/about/

brutalfarce likes this.
  16. CTHopman

My bad. Just know that Tribus put a lot of money and time into the brewery. It is superbly set up, spacious, promotes a brew pub style casual drinking atmosphere and has lots of room for expansion. There is also ample parking. Can tell that a lot of thought and planning went into it.

Schuee, brutalfarce and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  17. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (396) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I thought Tribus had a great spot. 80% of breweries are in an Industrial Park. It just makes sense from a zoning standpoint. The space is really well set-up and They have TV's for us football fans on Sunday. Not sure what makes it a "crap spot"?

Schuee, brutalfarce and CTHopman like this.
  18. pbrian

On Friday, I stopped in Labyrinth in Manchester. Unlike my last post, I'm going to keep this post positive. The space is beautiful, really nice use of the old brick industrial building with exposed beams, lots of cool woodworking, etc. They obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it. And my favorite beer was the cream ale.

NYR-Zuuuuc and brutalfarce like this.
  19. BeerMaverick

BeerMaverick Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2010 Connecticut

I also had a very positive experience at Labyrinth - one of the brewer/co-owners (Chris) noticed me drooling over his equipment through the window into the brewery area and offered to show me around! I am a home brewer, so the chance to check out the larger equipment and ask questions about scaling beer up and process changes was super interesting. They actually have a yeast lab, which is nearly unheard of for a brewery of that size, so I'd say they're on the right path.

Glazoo and brutalfarce like this.
  20. pbrian

I noticed you didn't comment on the beers either. Are you too trying to keep your post positive?

darkandhoppy and Shyla987 like this.
  21. Shyla987

East Rock in New Haven is opening Thursday. Look at that tap list, not a single ale. When they said only classic German styles, they pretty much meant it. Well, a couple of IPLs, but still. Only one person commenting about it, "Any IPAs?????" ha.

pbrian likes this.
  22. BeerMaverick

BeerMaverick Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2010 Connecticut

Actually, my wife and I were on our way to a party nearby, so I just stopped in for one beer and to check the place out - I had the cream ale and liked it (though I've never had a cream ale before that, so I can't really compare). So, I don't really have an opinion on the beer yet!

pbrian likes this.
  23. Shyla987

Norbrook Farm in Colebrook, which opened the last week of September, has run out of beer and is closing until November 14th.

24. CTHopman

Apparently superb planning on their part. At least New Park and Lasting Brass were only out a week.

25. Lupin

Society Trader

Visited little house and it was a super friendly environment. Hadn't been to Chester before. Beers were fine, the double milk stout was very good. Don't forget to say hi to Kirby the pug.

Visited Problem Solved and I also had forgotten it was in the Broad Brook location. I think it looks better with the additional lighting. I appreciate being able to see things when I visit a brewery during the day. Beer varied in quality.

Now Open:
    East Rock Brewing Company (New Haven) I still need to visit them.
    Housatonic River Brewing (New Milford) I still need to visit them.

Now Open but closed again for lack of beer:
    Norbrook Farm Brewery (Colebrook)

Bear Hands (Danielson): No updates.

Better Half Brewing (Bristol): No updates.

Boondoggle Beers (Hartford): No updates.
    Center Street Brewing Co. (Wallingford): In the process of pouring cement for their floors and plumbing.

Coles Road Brewing (Cromwell): Had issues with the first two locations. I finally got to meet Paul, though, and his beer is delicious.

Concentric Brewing (Berlin): No updates.

Dockside (Milford): No updates.

Dudleytown Brewing (Windsor): No updates.

Erector Brewing Collective (New Haven): No updates.

Great Falls Brewing (Canaan): They got tanks last month and claim to be opening in November.

Hop Culture Farms (Colchester): Gradual, but nebulous progress. "We will most likely have all permitting in place by November, and do several "soft events" until our grand opening in the Spring."

Hopmeadow Brewing (Avon): No updates.

Little Red Barn Brewers (Winsted): Their kickstarter had delivery dates of January 2019 so add a few months to that, I suppose. They look to have a ways to go with their facility.

Luppoleto Brewing Company (Windsor Locks): Was still working on financing/locations in June. Town permit filed two weeks ago. "The site will include at least 26.6 parking spaces." Huh. Will have capacity for 700 barrels in a year, which is not a lot. Aiming for spring 2019.

Maple View Farm (Granby): "Coming late fall" but probably a little later than that.

Niantic Public House and Brewery (East Lyme): "Permit in hand. Let the brewing begin" was posted on 9/8..

Reverie Brewing (Newtown): Was getting ready to brew 2 weeks ago.

Skygazer Brewing (Southington): Apparently planning to open without a taproom and just do can sales. Kickstarter ends tomorrow. Weird. THey have a decent looking Teku.

Stranger Tides Brewing (Colchester): Seems to be getting ready to brew its first batches, although the tap room isn't entirely done.

Tox Brewing (New London): Equipment is in. Oh hey another kickstarter.

Walnut Mountain Brewery (Torrington): Only update is that their social media still sucks.

White Porch (Manchester): Shooting for a winter opening. "Updates on construction will be provided as they progress, the owners said."

This is my list of places that don't really update at all so I'll just throw 'em here:
    Broad Leaf Farm Brewery, Glastonbury
    Centerline Brewing, Putnam
    DeFrancesco Farm Brewery, North Branford
    Lost Elm Artisan Ales, Stafford Springs
    Lost Viking Brewing, Harwinton
    Shallow Seas Brewing Company, New Haven (still appears to be a homebrew op)
    Taylor Brooke Brewery, Woodstock (ETA spring 2019)

26. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Holy crap, that is a lot of potential breweries.

27. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

What happened with second Coles Road location? Thought build out was in progress on Alcap Ridge.

28. Lupin

Society Trader

I'm gonna be a jerk and not divulge the details because 1) it was at a beer share and 2) I can't remember which reason was for which location! These items may be related.

MKozaka and sulldaddy like this.
  29. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (117) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

Have ppl been to Lock City in Stamford? Down near there for work occasionally, worth a stop?

30. liquorpig

liquorpig Meyvn (1,239) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

I'd love to see some open up in the Torrington/Litchfield area. It's like the dead zone in CT.

31. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (104) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

mja271 and SenorQuesadilla like this.
  32. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (82) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

mja271 likes this.
  33. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (104) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Yeah I'm thinking that's gonna be a popular spot!

34. EDNOSE

Absolutely worth a visit. Incredibly solid IPAs and the occasional other styles have been good. The hours are tough for a work trip (opens at 5 on Thursday and Friday plus weekend hours) so you better be around until at least Friday.

35. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,494) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I went when they opened. Cool spot. Parking seemed to be limited, beers were good. They are IPA centric if thats your thing you will probably be happy

36. Lupin

Society Trader

I was there a few months after open and the beers were decent to good. Parking sucked and the tasters were a little overpriced (something like $23 for 6 small pours).

37. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (94) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

I suspect that might be the greenwich/stamford rent upcharge.

keithmurray likes this.
  38. pbrian

Well, there's Little Red Barn in Winsted on the docket. And of course there's Kent Falls. But yeah, other than that, it is pretty much a dead zone, but probably appropriately so given the population density of Litchfield and demographics of Torrington.

39. EDNOSE

There 5 ozers are generally $3 - $3.50 ... I don't think that is terribly off of other places but it could add up once you end up multiplying by 6.

40. Lupin

Society Trader

The price was half of it, the option to not have something a little smaller to actually get to try everything on draft was the other. It shouldn't cost that much to try the smallest format or a flight of that many beers, and they didn't strike me as large enough to qualify as a "half pour."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.