1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Breweries in Planning - Connecticut

Discussion in 'New England' started by pbrian, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (91) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

They've posted a lot on Instagram, first post mid-2016. Got approval for zoning in 2017, completely new building, not something else re-purposed. They did a Kickstarter for $10K and got $15K.

No taproom, only cans to go. And their hours are weird, restricted by the town. 8am-2pm only.

2. pbrian

pbrian Defender (637) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Well there's a business model we haven't seen in a while. All the other new ones seems to be more like bars that happen to brew their own beer.

3. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (244) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Not sure if It’s been mentioned but it looks like mapleview in Granby CT is open

4. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (69) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

Bit of a mud bog there. They have a bit of sorting out to do with their receipts. Stout was not bad.

5. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (69) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

And recipes.

6. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (176) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

Parable is calling it a day

7. jjpm74

jjpm74 Initiate (94) Apr 10, 2005 Connecticut

They also posted a weird post on Facebook that said they only accept credit cards and are doing so because they want to be progressive. I think I'll skip this brewery until they figure out what they are doing.

8. jjpm74

Some updates:

Norbrook: Make a really great saison and kolsch and have a nice selection of IPAs and other styles. They also have a nice outdoor patio

Great Falls: beautiful location and had a dozen beers on tap when I was there on Saturday. They are actually not that far from Big Elm in Massachusetts. Hitting Norbrook, Great Falls and Big Elm in one day is not difficult to do and all three are worth it.

Little Red Barn: Super cool owners, great beer, small location, but they maxed out the space they have. I can see them getting tired of their brewing area quickly (when you visit, you'll see what I mean).

Skygazer: really should learn how to be more diplomatic on social media. More than once, one of their posts has come off as condescending. They are not even open yet and not on the level of a place that can afford to piss off their clientele.

Dockside: just broke ground (literally) in early January. They have a long way to go before they open. I will be surprised if they are open by the fall of this year.

Milford Point: Not new anymore, but newly expanded. They just opened up their expanded taproom and now serve pints and have started getting food trucks.

Reverie: Now officially open. Heading there this Saturday (and revisiting Nod Hill, Broken Symmetry and maybe Redding) while in the area.

Parable: Officially announced that they are ceasing operations as the building they are in has been sold. They are looking for another facility, but things look bleak for them. I'm hoping they can turn it around or start over in a new location.

Old Burnside: Obviously not a new brewery, but they officially announced that they will not be resuming brewing operations in the spring and were retiring. Bummer as they were one of the only breweries in the state who did Scottish style ales well.

Noble Jay: Specialize in small batch lagers. Smaller place in an office park. Nice staff and interesting beers.

Next time I go to Book Barn, I'll have to check out Niantic Publick House. Didn't know they opened.

#128 jjpm74, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    pbrian, bootdown21, sulldaddy and 2 others like this.
  9. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (484) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I’m surprised Olde Burnside survived the past few years to this point

10. jjpm74

They were barely open the past few years. I'm not overly surprised they called it a day. The last time I was there was last summer and they were serving things like barrel aged Father Christmas.

11. pbrian

Your post makes it sound like they're open. They're not, But hopefully they will be next month this time. But in the world of brewery opening timing, let's say May 1 to be safe.

12. jjpm74

You are absolutely right and that is my mistake. I was actually talking about Little House in Chester, CT. I have driven by, but have not yet been to Little Red Barn in Winsted, CT.

pbrian likes this.
  13. pbrian

Gotchya, yeah, it wasn't making sense. The owners of LRB are super cool too but they have a pretty good size space. Looking forward to them opening.

jjpm74 likes this.
  14. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (91) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Skygazer in Southington opened today. Line of about 40-50 at 8am. For a brewery that no one has ever tasted the beer (except their friends), without a taproom, only cans to-go, credit card sales only, and beers at $4-$5 a can.

I thought brewery hype was dying down a little bit, with so many breweries and so much good beer on the shelves. I was wrong. The chase for the "new" is still very much alive and well. smh.

sulldaddy and OldLady like this.
  15. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (124) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

And the charged tax, which I thought was a "no no" unless you are a brewpub or serve food.

#135 CTHopman, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Ridgerunner likes this.
  16. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (420) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Looks like Taylor Brooke has been making consistent moves and updates.

17. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (211) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Loved the Reverie space on Saturday. The people there were incredibly nice.