Breweries Opening in the Austin area

Discussion in 'US - South' started by aschwab, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aschwab

aschwab (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

No, it wont last forever. But I do not think it will be saturated even if all of these open up.

Only 2 craft breweries that I know in TX send their beer outside TX even. That says something right there....most of the beer is sold within the city it is made in.

2. peddani

peddani (0) Aug 27, 2012 Texas

BS Brewing is "premiering" this weekend at an Austin fundraiser at Mueller.

Guns & Oil is getting "close", too, I think.

3. MrLupulos

MrLupulos (0) Jul 28, 2007 Texas

I think it awsome that more breweries are starting to pop up but at the same time i wish some of these brewers had some experience under there belt. Few years of homebrewing several homebrew competition wins before attempting to open a brew. I worry that unexperience brewers thinking they can brew will put out a bad batch and turn off those who are new to craft beer. I hope that doesnt happen so far all good tasting beer is whst ive tasted i hope we can keep them coming.

4. peddani

Oops, I thought I included the link to G&O. (not that it's hard to deduce)

http://www.gunsandoil.com/

aschwab likes this.
  5. aschwab

Intriguing. Guns and Oil looks like it is pretty much there except for that pesky permit. Looks like thatll be within a month or so though (from their facebook feed).

6. GibbonsTheBeerGuy

GibbonsTheBeerGuy (0) Jun 8, 2013 Texas

I was trying to be positive with my comment. Seems like alot of doubt for these new breweries.

7. ShowerBeer_

ShowerBeer_ (0) Jun 17, 2013 Texas

Is there a map of breweries in Austin? Would be a great resource.

8. bccocx

bccocx (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

https://www.google.com/maps and search for "breweries" or "brewery". It does a pretty good job.

9. nsheehan

nsheehan (0) Jul 3, 2011 Texas

The places location on this site can help you find breweries, and link to maps, but they are not visually displayed.
    This site can help, although it is acting funny:
    http://www.microbrewmaps.com

10. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Issues of Austin beer guide generally include this

11. BgThang

BgThang (0) Dec 23, 2007 Texas

COMPLAINING there is too much beer is like complaining you have too much money.

obrike likes this.
  12. aschwab

www.beermapping.com

Go to Austin.

Profit.

kmello69 and bccocx like this.
  13. aschwab

14. ShowerBeer_

ShowerBeer_ (0) Jun 17, 2013 Texas

This. Changes. Everything!
    Thanks for this.

15. kmello69

kmello69 (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Cool map, but the pins are completely off, at least for all the Round Rock places. Weird, since the addresses are correct

16. aschwab

Yeah, it is not perfect.

But I use it when traveling in the US to find out about the breweries in my area and then search for them on google.

17. kmello69

kmello69 (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Thats actually a great idea, since I travel a good bit for work as well. Thanks for the heads up on it!

18. aschwab

Ha yeah...it worked great for me in the DC area earlier this year. I do not know how often it is updated, but it is useful.

19. BK1017

BK1017 (0) Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Directly from the website:

"Our first attempt at brewing College Chronic did not end too well. We used 5 bbls of ingredients and only ended up with 3.2 bbls of ale. Rather than dump it, we are taking the opportunity to try something different with it. It has been in the brite tank for a month and we are going to put it in some bourbon barrels along with some bacteria to do a controlled spoilage. We have enough for two barrel fulls and will sour one by itself and possibly sour the other on a bed of dew berries."

College Chronic? Souring a broken IPA brew? Not off to a strong start. Color me skeptical.

BK

TTUJohn likes this.
  20. Lutter

Lutter (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Sounds like a mess. It's 3 bbls, they should've dumped it. Adding bacteria to a bad base still generally leads to a bad beer unless you REALLY know what you're doing (GI King Henry as example)

21. Illusionist_Ryan

Illusionist_Ryan (0) Jun 19, 2013 Texas

Thanks for putting us on the list! We agree with what you guys have been saying, most new breweries are making standard brews. We are planning to launch with 5 flagship beers; a pale ale, imperial chocolate/vanilla stout, blonde, and are currently working on a few different recipes. I'd personally love for any of you to attend some of our tastings to help shape our lineup. (A pumpkin is in our future as well!)

22. aschwab

I would be in but live in Austin.

What does your time frame look like?

23. Illusionist_Ryan

We have investors and are currently working to finalize our lineup and pick a location. We hope to be fully operational late summer/early fall of 2014.

World of Beer in San Antonio is one of our stomping grounds for these tastings, but we already have plans to hold a tap takeover at the one in Austin when it opens.

24. aschwab

Did not know they were opening one in Austin. Good to know.

25. Illusionist_Ryan

It's going to be in that building around the Broken Spoke.

26. Lutter

Deactivated

NICE, I live practically around the corner.

27. MrLupulos

MrLupulos (0) Jul 28, 2007 Texas

Ryan, I dig the Illusionist website! It sounds like you guys got everything in place to get going on this venture. I'm also working on starting something small in Austin hopefully next fall 2014. I'm looking at starting with a 3.5BBL system and several 7BBL fermenters. I just got the business name registered and currently working on logo and website. I got a few recipes that have done fairly well in homebrew competitions so I'm excited to put those out there. If you know of any investors in the hunt of a microbrewery send them over my way. Best of luck to you guys I cant wait to try out your beers. That stout looks yummy!

28. Illusionist_Ryan

Glad you like it! I'd be more than happy to get together with you sometime to discuss and help out with some contacts I know. Also, I am a designer by trade and would be more than happy to help you with your logo.

Looking forward to trying some of yours as well!

29. omnigrits

omnigrits (0) Jun 1, 2006 Texas

That'll make up for all the noise, dust and flooding we've had to put up with from the construction :grinning:

30. bccocx

31. aschwab

32. JohnBender

JohnBender (0) Apr 20, 2012 Texas

How do we know this is from Austin?

33. bccocx

34. aschwab

I am just listing everything that pops up that is in the works to become a brewery from any stage.

No idea where they are along in the process....

bccocx likes this.
  35. aschwab

36. peddani

Be surprised if Texian let's that one get too far.

37. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer (0) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

This is entirely correct. These styles are exceptionally difficult to make. We've had brewers express skepticism or even flat out say that these styles can't be made in Texas. On top of that, the brewing window for these styles in Texas, assuming there even is one in the first place, is exceptionally small. We are/will be only attempting to brew these beers in December, January and February. Nonetheless, as we said in our blog post about our coolship batches this past winter, if our spontaneously fermented beer turns out, it will become a major, and I mean major, part of what we make at Jester King.

At this point, we have seven 132 gallon puncheon barrels filled with beer inoculated in our coolship in late February. After about four months, the beer is becoming more attenutated with gravities ranging from 1.005 to 1.015. In terms of flavor and aroma, the beer has a very long way to go before (hopefully) achieving flavor and aromatics similar to authentic Lambic. It's not very sour, lacks the funky, musty cellar qualities of Lambic and Gueuze, and still has more hop bitterness than we expect for it to have in a year or two from now. However, our coolship beer looks good under a microscope (loads of Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces and Pediococcus) and is surprisingly drinkable at this point, which has us cautiously optimistic. We shall see.

- Jeff

38. blatherbeard

blatherbeard (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Looking forward to the Imp choc/van stout! Live in bastrop but ill be keeping an eye out for that tap takeover in austin!

39. Lutter

Deactivated

I spoke to Christine Celis today and she's going to be making some announcements very soon on her plans. Apparently the first thing she will be doing is a collaboration beer before relaunching her brand first as a gipsy brewery and next with her own brewery. She seemed super excited and is trying to hire back as many of her original employees as possible when she starts brewing again. Things are finalizing next week and there should be a press release soon.

Also, the brewery isn't going to be called Celis... but Pierre Celis Brewing, to honor her dad.

BK1017 and JJFoodie like this.
  40. Lutter

Deactivated

Just an FYI... Celis Brewing is debuting their first new beer tonight at the Draught House. It's a collaboration between them and Adelbert's called Gypsy Belgian IPA. Free Adelbert's stemmed glass if you drop by... Christine Celis will be there as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.