Breweries Opening in the Minnesota 2017

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by KarlHungus, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (135) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

2. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (578) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

3. islay

islay Initiate (179) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Meyvn (1,062) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Supporter Beer Trader

5. tripleT

tripleT Initiate (116) Dec 19, 2008 Minnesota

#1205 tripleT, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. Victory_Sabre1973

Supporter Beer Trader

I don't think it's Flat Earth, they have a lot more room than 3800 SQ FT.

7. Atom13

Atom13 Initiate (176) Jun 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I believe they had purchased the land also, and have been open since 2007.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  8. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (132) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

9. Victory_Sabre1973

Supporter Beer Trader

10. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,724) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Supporter Beer Trader

First with the Blue Wolf, now with the Jive Turkey -- will wonders never cease? :thinking_face:

11. MNAle

MNAle Champion (857) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

"Jive Turkey Brewing will travel the USA in our new mobile food truck towing our mobile beer garden! The Jive Turkey food truck will feature tasty sandwiches made with real roasted and smoked turkey!!!

We will feature various Jive Turkey beers, lagers and ales."

That sounds like a regulations/licensing nightmare!

12. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (578) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Not to mention everyone falling asleep after they eat their food. Will that have vintage Cowboys, and Lions games on a perpetual loop?

Spewlander likes this.
  13. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (143) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

While the brewery/taproom opened much later I believe they were showing up at beer festivals as early as 2011. Also pretty sure at least one of the original owners has sold already just not sure if it was to a new interest or the other originals...

They have a great space/location but just never consistently hit the mark with the taproom offerings. Also tough to roll with a coffee stout as the flagship beer.

Just speculation on my part but if new owners could rework and re-energize the taproom beers and back off the current contract brew distribution model it could work....

14. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (237) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

...and maybe a name change too? The novelty's worn a bit thin playing along the innuendo angle.

Otis32 and KarlHungus like this.
  15. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (143) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Good call. The dick humor got stale fast

16. JakeJohnson

Beer Trader

"
    "Big Wood" always left a bad taste in my mouth. At least their name implies a full dick and not a partial one like another Minnesota brewery.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  17. MNAle

MNAle Champion (857) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

TMI :wink: :sunglasses:

I have never purchased anything from them (or from Angry Inch) because of their juvenile "humor". Beavis and Butt-Head decide to open a brewery...

18. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Disciple (310) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Late the to the brewpub party but wanted to point out that the kitchen licensing must not be that terribly difficult because Roets serves a minimal amount of food. If the process was too hard, the food they serve definitely wouldn't be worth it. They typically have food trucks on the weekend, but on Thursdays or occasional weekends they serve brats, nachos, chili, and other small stuff like that. From what I can see of the "kitchen" it's usually a crockpot full of whatever the food is, sitting on the counter by the bar. You order from the bartender and he goes and grabs you a brat.

19. SudsSavant

Beer Trader

Or the health inspectors haven't made out out to Jordan on a Thursday night yet. Then again, gas stations can get away with hot dogs on rollers so what do I know?

Pug likes this.
  20. JakeJohnson

Beer Trader

Wicked Wort has Heggies Pizza, which is the epitome of a barebones "kitchen".

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,724) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Supporter Beer Trader

Giesenbrau is another plan which may be a "brewpub" (in a very loose sense) as they hope to add a kitchen within a couple years of opening (which appears to be any day now.)

Both the Surly destination brewery and Urban Growler did much to pave the way for the brewery-with- kitchen concept, which is an interesting addition to Minnesota's food and beverage landscape.

22. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (186) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I know you know this, but still feel it necessary to say. Town Hall had been doing this 15 years before Surly or Urban Growler did it. Same with Great Waters.

TimJohnsonMN likes this.
  23. SipIt

SipIt Aspirant (234) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I believe he's saying paved the way for a brewery (one that distributes beer) vs a brewpub.

feloniousmonk and NickMpls like this.
  24. Atom13

Atom13 Initiate (176) Jun 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

That would not be Urban Growler then as they were a Brewpub before they (just) started distributing their one beer.

25. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (2,930) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Urban Growler has always been a brewery that had its own kitchen. What differentiates brewpubs in Minnesota from breweries is that brewpubs are allowed to serves wine, spirits, and other breweries beer.

26. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (132) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

27. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (171) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Best of luck to them, it's a nice location for a brewery. Just hope the brick & mortar is more complete than the website, not much opens. Oh well, drinking the beer is more important than reading about it.

BTW, has anyone in central MN tried their beers? If so, please report

#1228 barrybeerdog, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  28. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (199) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

https://utepilsbrewing.com/2017/08/utepils-embarks-1st-annual-beer-trip/

I wonder if the Utepils owners at all see the amazing irony of asking for money (Viper thing) while at they are traveling to Europe.
    And, I wonder what all the investors that forked over their own money (check out Utepils past investment pitches if you don't know what I am referring to) are thinking.

This type of thing from a company which has neven finished out of their first year of operations is puzzling to me, but, what do I know.

29. JakeJohnson

Beer Trader

Some notes from The Villager about Waldmann.

"The St. Paul City Council on August 23 approved malt on-sale, malt off-sale and entertainment licenses for the taproom at the new Waldmann Brewery & Wurstery, 445 Smith Ave. The license approval had been delayed because of neighborhood opposition.Two neighbors appeared before a legislative hearing officer in July saying that business owner Tom Schroeder had addressed their concerns about spillover parking, noise and traffic. Several neighbors and historic preservation advocates appeared at the hearing to voice their support for the licenses. The West Seventh/Fort Road Federation also recommended approval.The licenses were approved on the conditions that the saloon maintains six off-street parking spaces at 444 W. Seventh St. and that any expansion of the saloon and its services will require a separate historic use variance. No alcohol sales or service will be allowed outside the saloon without prior written approval from the city. Entertainment is limited to music and singing, but no dancing by either patrons or performers."

I dare them to try to stop me from dancing. SSSS AAAA FFFF EEEE TTTT YYYY

30. SudsSavant

Beer Trader

Sounds like Kevin Bacon needs to drop by and pay these guys a visit.

31. islay

Forget it, Jake. It's St. Paul.

JakeJohnson likes this.
  32. Chumley22

Chumley22 Initiate (138) Sep 28, 2013 Minnesota

At least they are thinking about brewing something different!
    I love this place and their beer, but would like to see something new from them. And yes, I agree- seems this seems odd.

33. JakeJohnson

Beer Trader

Utepils announced their VIPER program well before they opened.

34. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (171) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

"but no dancing by either patrons or performers."
    Is this St Paul or ISIS controlled Elepo????

gudbrande and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  35. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (557) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Bomont

36. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (199) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

Read the link I posted. This is from that.

Wish you could join us?
    Each year, a limited number of spots will be made available. Your best shot at nabbing one of them? Become a VIPER. VIPERs get exclusive priority access to the trip (among many other perks).

So they are still hawking memberships.

JakeJohnson likes this.
  37. islay

Updates on some St. Paul BIPs, courtesy of Jess Fleming of the Pioneer Press:

On the most recent episode of The Minnesota BeerCast, Fleming reports that both Waldmann and Yoerg plan to open their locations on 10-1-17 (a Sunday, which seems like a weird day of the week for an opening). My understanding was that Yoerg is going to have a brewing component on site along with serving the Wisconsin-contract-brewed Yoerg beer (i.e., that it will be a brewpub), but Fleming says that Yoerg is merely going to be a bar.

Fleming also reports regarding Stacked Deck: "It's a huge taproom. They have 180 seats, and it's expected February or March."

She says that Clutch plans to open in spring 2018.

edbeered likes this.
  38. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,966) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

I do not see anything wrong with what they are doing. It is a membership with perks like many other breweries offer.

JMN44 likes this.
  39. JakeJohnson

Beer Trader

I have some unsettling news. Cantankerous Brewing in Grand Rapids has changed their name to Klockow Brewing. Their beloved logo has also been changed.
    https://klockowbrewing.com/

islay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.