Breweries People Love to Hate (or just you)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gillagorilla, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Some horrible demon who isn't very good at brewing beer that tastes good... to me.

2. freeballard

freeballard Aspirant (259) Oct 21, 2008 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hale's make pretty good biscuits and gravy on the weekends but as for the beer, I'm pretty much with you...

3. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (565) Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

First off I want to say I certainly don't hate Short's at all and have enjoyed many many many Short's beers over the years and enjoyed my visit to the brewpub very much.

My problems have been with more of your malt forward beers and "dessert" beers. The Malty beers such as The Magician and Woodmaster is I have tasted what I can only describe as dirt and/or soil like flavors in those beers. It was just very odd flavors to me.

With the dessert type beers such as Key Lime Pie, Strawberry Shortscake, Smores Stout, and PB & J, is that they just didn't taste like the name of the beers, there were elements of the namesake but honestly not even close to the real thing.

@

4. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (510) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Shipyard. For many reasons.

I actually like Old Thumper with all its big D presence, but the rest of their offerings (including SeaDog beers & others that are contract brewed there) are just horrible.

5. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,126) Mar 1, 2009 California

They've been tweaking their recipes as of late "can you say SIMTRA???" For the better. Can't mask 11.2% much better than 4/23's batch...

OP - Rogue - Subpar beers for every style they brew, for a ridiculous and arrogant price. Must be the Bottle Art.

beastmammoth likes this.
  6. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Aspirant (257) Feb 15, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

have you had allagash white? if you have and don't like it ok, but if not, give it a try.

7. papaholmz

papaholmz Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yes, I've had White, Four, Black, Dubbel, Tripel, Curieux, Hugh Malone, Victor, Victoria, Fluxus, and FV13; the only one I really liked was FV13.

8. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (483) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Stay out of Michigan if you don't like Shorts....they are the best brewery in Michigan. And yes you are an idiot if you don't like them, stop buying them, and leave more for the rest of us. thanks

Slamminson and craigo19 like this.
  9. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (483) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You must not know a whole lot about beer, Shorts is the best brewery in Michigan, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to your bud light, stop buying it and save more for us who appreciate it. thanks.

10. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

Oh yes, 373 beers (not counting locals that aren't on the site) and I just love Bud Light. Having different tastes doesn't mean I know nothing about beer, thanks.

11. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (506) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Really? I don't think they're great or anything, but I don't hate their beer. It's very average. I'm still disappointed that they stopped brewing the Amish Four Grain, which I thought was one of their best beers.

Some other opinions:

Rogue is alright in my book. They do some weird stuff that doesn't usually hit the mark, but they also put out some tasty brews. Their chocolate stout is still one of my favorite beers in that style.

DFH is a brewery I'll always enjoy. 60 Minute is good, and was one of the first craft beers I fell in love with. I can't hate them for that reason alone. Beers from their core lineup tend to be really good (60, 90, Burton Baton, Indian Brown, and Punkin come to mind), but their experimental stuff can be hit or miss. I don't expect every experimental idea to be perfect, so I can't really fault them for that. I like that Sam is always trying new ideas, and not afraid to make some mistakes along the way.

12. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (6,757) Aug 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

People love to hate Mikkeller. And their reasoning usually has something to do with the pricing.

I love Mikkeller. I hate the Shelton Bastards.

13. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

You obviously live north of the thumb. :D

Handyandy58 and Kerrie like this.
  14. 3751CVR

3751CVR Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2013 Texas

And they control a lot of the craft beers you get.

15. VladTepes

VladTepes Initiate (155) Oct 18, 2012 Finland

Yeah, and where are Mikkeller, Evil Twin, Lost Abbey, Stillwater and Clown Shoes!?

16. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer hate...
    Beer Advocacy...
    Something doesn't compute.

LuckyJohn, CowsandBeer, s_wit and 4 others like this.
  17. VladTepes

I do. Or not hate, but I just don't drink ther beers, bebouse there is better ones.

And as somebody said, same hop profile for every beers.

Still, I have to admit, Big Foot is really nice barley wine and I haven't had Narwahl yet, it could be also nice.

18. VladTepes

Heh, do you know, that they are done that? :)

They have actually brewed an APA.

19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Leinenkugel-Oh yeah, just when you thought Sam Adams couldn't get more average to underwhelming comes the Midwest's answer to the beer world's Mendoza line. I used to feel this way about Sam Adams but since joining BA, my opinion has softened to a degree.

As for some of the others mentioned; Rogue, Stone, DFH, Magic Hat they all have things I've liked a lot and others I did not, of those four Magic Hat doesn't have me running back to check anything out whatsoever.
    Sixpoint & Smuttynose get my vote for; I don't see the appeal, Sixpoint more so than Smutty.

20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

My only gripe as a NE Ohio beer nut is getting my hands on some Shorts w/o taking a roadie. Michigan is one helluva solid brewing state & I've been waiting for Short's & Kuhnhenn to start distributing a little farther east.

Stinger80OH likes this.
  21. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Crusader (704) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

WORD

22. Andygirl

Andygirl Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

You guys just need to find someone from MI who travels into OH regularly to trade with. I know there are a few of us :)

23. beerranger

beerranger Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's one thing to chastise Goose Island for "selling out," but to say their beer
    isn't anything but world class (on average) is crazy talk. I guess some folks
    will always despise success.

That being said, as a New Englander, I'm a bit 'disappointed' with Long Trail
    and Harpoon. These are the breweries I grew up on, and they opened my eyes
    to the craft beer market back in 98'. My only wish is that they would have continued
    to pay attention to changes/advances in the industry. Harpoon has attempted to play
    catch up with their 100 Barrel Series, but it is loooooong overdue. The two breweries
    are by no means brewing bad beer, they just haven't kept up with our developing palates.
    I fondly remember feeling giddy in the days leading up to the Hibernator release every fall.
    I had it this past year and was beyond disappointed - like losing a good friend. :(

brewsader likes this.
  24. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Initiate (193) Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've never been a huge Great Divide fan, they're usually my brewery to dislike (although they did hook me up when my BA Yeti was infected). Rogue is very overrated, I've disliked almost every new beer by Dogfish Head, and Boulevard hasn't really been doing it for me. I liked BBQ but other than that, eh.

25. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (1,951) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Subscriber

That's too much of a hassle. If they can put Trade Winds Tripel on a shelf in a store, they can put all of their beers on a shelf. Consumers shouldn't have to jump through hoops to buy it.

Hatzilla likes this.
  26. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Zealot (513) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

A local beer here is Sun King. I can't say I hate them, but I will never support them and give them any of my beer dollars any longer. They were the first brewery in Indy before the beer culture really caught on here. They came in with high beer prices 10.99 for four pack of cream ale and 11.99 (2009) for a four pack of mediocre pale ale, 18.99 for a four pack of Oktoberfest, 25 bucks for a single can of barrel aged barleywine. They blew the doors out of it somehow and the locals kept buying it. All of the new breweries that have come into existence have all followed suit with the high prices. Cutters sells a sixer of wheat for 12.99, Fountain Square sells their porter and Pilsner for 11.99.
    Indy is one of the few places I know of where "local" beer is the most expensive ticket in town. I hardly buy any local beer for that reason. A four pack of Osiris for 11.99 or a Sierra Nevada for 7.99, Founders for 9.99, and FFF's for 10.99, or a sixer of Two-Hearted for 11.99 the choice is easy. I might wrongly blame Sun King for that, but I think they have a great deal to do with it. Tap beer in Indy is crazy expensive, and honestly one of the more expensive cities I've been in for beer prices.

Their whole shtick is just beyond me. Why does every beer need to a marketing stunt? Just make a decent beer at a reasonable price without all the bullshit and I will support it.

ivorycannon and mpayne5 like this.
  27. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¬°Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Victory, Stone and Dog Fish head to a lesser extent.

28. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

Maybe that's just their way of acknowledging that their beers are mediocre to offensive to begin with, so how much worse could they really get?

29. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

This jumped out to me as weird. Why did you have a negative attitude towards them as a kid? I can understand if your parents took you there to eat lunch and it sucked. But you said you never went in.

30. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (183) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

I feel the same way about Harpoon. With the exception of their Celtic Ale i fobd their main line up underwhelming (looking at you Summer Ale) to average at best. Their 100 Barrel Series and Leviathans, however, I am a huge fan of. That said their brewery has become a spot my wife and I take out of town guests. Awesome facility and they usually have a test batch or two two to sample that I think have become 100 Barrels on occasion.

31. Handyandy58

Handyandy58 Initiate (131) Aug 3, 2011 California

Having had the tap water at the brewery, I can confirm this. It's delightful.

fullmetal1381, TongoRad and Roguer like this.
  32. LeRose

LeRose Savant (938) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

For me, love to hate is like The Godfather...just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

And that would be Sam Adams. I know there are better choices. I know there have been a few epic fails with my personal taste, but I always try their products and usually have them on hand. Partly sentimental probably. They were the beacon in the darkness of the BMC wasteland when I first became enlightened. Partly outright homerism. While I am liberally unfaithful, Sam Adams is something I always fall back on.

33. SMITHAND

SMITHAND Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Oregon

Rogue, and Base Camp in PDX. When they work more on the bottle than the beer, its kind of a bummer.

34. Kenzie

Kenzie Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Utah

With Rogue I admit they were one of the first craft breweries I got into because they are so commercialized and I live in a very rural area. Then I took a trip to Oregon and started realizing how much there actually is out there and they took a back seat. I still love their Mocha Porter but everything else is a hit or miss. They seem to focus on quantity more then quality.

And I'm sorry but I've come to dislike Sierra Nevada. Yes I do respect them for leading the craft beer revolution but they do not put out any products I like. Their big foot barley wine was a horrible fail, one of the most bland one-note barley wines I have had. Same goes for their other products.

It's also hard for me not to judge a brewery that has a mediocre or horrible brewpub. The glitter from fullsail faded the first time I went to the restaurant because it was just alright. My next two visits were delicious, and now they are back on top with me of places to visit. I know I'm lame, that's why I avoid many brewpubs.

35. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to word it. I only recently learned (or re-learned) that the brewery in the mall was DuClaw. I guess I formed a weird opinion that was a combination of my disdain for their design motifs and the fact that they brewed in a mall. I have never liked their designs or style at all. Also, I was around 12 when this all formed and quite precocious.

36. craigo19

craigo19 Aspirant (217) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Magic Hat, Atwater Block, Leinenkugel and Pyramid.

37. RJM

RJM Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Djibouti

Dude, screw the stones.

Hatzilla likes this.
  38. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (459) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

You're right. Great approach for beers like Grey Monday, Bois variants, and Griffon Bruxellois.

39. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

anything sea dog, shitty beer, tourist trap brewpubs, shitty food at said brewpubs. tried all 3 in maine. thumbs down. moved to fl and they open one here. gawd can't get away from them.

40. anth0ny

anth0ny Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Michigan

I've noticed there are a few short's haters on BA, but I don't think by inquiring here you are going to get any insight that would be helpful to your brewers. And why should they bother? There are plenty of people who love Short's so they might as well just keep on doing what they're doing. The main complaints I've noticed are infected bottles and "experimental beers gone wrong" comments. Personally, I've also noticed that ALL my friends like short's the best for Michigan craft. All of them like craft beer, but none are as serious about it as myself or someone on BeerAdvocate. That being said, I think the people who don't take craft beer so seriously like the wide variety that Short's provides, and those who are 'beer snobs' generally don't care for the 'gimmicky' or experimental beers. That's just my analysis. I'm more in the middle on that. Short's is my second favorite brewery next to Founders. I always make a point to visit the tap room when I go up north to visit. There are a lot of qualities about Short's besides the beer that I also enjoy like the tap room, the local-only distribution, and the DIY feel of the label artwork. I think the broad experiments of different beers can be hit or miss, but it's also part of the fun about Short's style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe