Breweries that have lived up to the hype for you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Toppling Goliath started distributing into Ohio back in the Fall, and I've been buying everything they've released so far. Every single beer I've tried has been easily 4.2 or so +/5.

I figured it would be another one of those "Yeah it's a good beer but I can get better" types, but stuff like Sosus, King Sue, etc... are among the best IPA's I've ever tried.

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hill Farmstead.

I just wish we received more drops of Hill Farmstead beers in my area.

Cheers!

4. Shanex

Shanex (1,054) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Dogfish head, Bells, New Holland...

mikeinportc, GringoJack, Rug and 3 others like this.
  5. bubseymour

bubseymour (1,264) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Do you think the freshness of the TG IPAs will sustain once the new novelty of them being in your area wains after 6 months or so?

mikeinportc, Junior and bluejacket74 like this.
  6. bubseymour

Society Trader

Hill Farmstead, Cantillon, Tree House and Side Project definitely.

Since I don't live in the Bay Area (but travel for work their frequently) not sure if Alvarado St. is hyped brewer, but everything I've had from them across many styles is at a pretty high level. I grab their stuff out of grocery stores/bottle shops while I'm out there.

7. Pstone530

Pstone530 (0) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

Sante Adarius Rustic Ales. Their bottled saisons and mixed ferms are absolutely off the charts! Their hoppy beers are fantastic as well.

Glider, deanzaZZR, Vitacca and 6 others like this.
  8. momofcats9

momofcats9 (0) Apr 11, 2020

JDub, Lefthanded, Omegong, Crooked Can, Fischer, Unibroue, DuClaw, Cigar City, Funky Buddha, Florida Beer Company( makes specialty beers for Universal Studios... make sure to check out the Too Chocolate Stout at Toothsomes Emporium and the Wizard's Brew in Diagon Alley!

9. AWA

AWA (591) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

And don't forget their porter.

10. honkey

honkey (375) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Bottle logic, the BA stouts I’ve had have all been absolutely incredible

12. jkrich

jkrich (922) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Sierra Nevada, Great Lakes Brewing and Anchor Liberty are a few...

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Weldwerks, TRVE, hill farmstead, Jack's abbey all come to mind.

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Short's does it for me. Those guys are masters at IPAs and DIPAs and I've greatly enjoyed almost every one that they've released into distro. They've released some dark beers too that were very good, but hoppy beers are their forte.

Bell's too, but since they are in my back yard and my experience with them goes back before hype was invented, I don't think they fit as an answer to the OP's question.

Cotton_27, ja1022 and Shanex like this.
  15. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 (513) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Brasserie de Rochefort

16. DIM

DIM (1,242) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

TG has been in my area for 7-8 months. Availability is not constant, but it is generally fresh and priced fairly. I assume this is a deliberate strategy on their part. They have been a welcome addition, as far as I'm concerned, to our incredibly crowded market.

17. eppie82

eppie82 (1,164) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

eppCOS likes this.
  18. Junior

Junior (0) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

We don’t get it here in Michigan, but based on what I’ve seen in my travels through Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, I would say no. Which is sad, such a waste.

mikeinportc and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. dcotom

dcotom (1,521) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, Tilquin, and Boon. Were it not for Zwanze Day, I might never have known how awesome these are.

I'd heard good things about KC Bier Co., so I tracked down a few multi-packs while on vacation. Well worth seeking out if you like German styles.

eppCOS, SFACRKnight and ChicagoJ like this.
  20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (1,068) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Most recently, SARA and Highland Park have both lived up to everything promised.

Also, Bell's and Sierra Nevada have never disappointed me

21. mhammon97

mhammon97 (0) Dec 9, 2018 Ohio

Toppling Goliath, Rhinegeist, Fat Head's

22. Junior

Junior (0) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

+1

23. denver10

denver10 (0) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

La Cumbre, Holy Mountain, Jester King, Bierstadt.

I could think of some others who get some love/hype that I think are totally worthy of it (like Odell, Funkwerks, TRVE), but the ones I mentioned were one's I read the hype for before first trying and the others were ones I already loved upon first reading the hype.

tzieser, eppCOS and SFACRKnight like this.
  24. dennis3951

When I 1st had SNPA it was not hyped at all. It was unknown outside off North California. It's underhyped now IMHO.

25. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ (1,211) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Not sure how one can measure hype beyond trade value, and I don't trade beers. The way I will answer is my favorite breweries which rarely if ever let me down across many different beer styles.

I am confident when I step into a brewery or buy packaged that I will enjoy their beer, proven consistently over a dozen or more offerings.

California - AleSmith, Beachwood, Modern Times, Sierra Nevada
    Illinois - Goose Island, Half Acre, Revolution, Spiteful, Une Annee/Hubbard's Cave
    Indiana - Three Floyds
    Michigan - Bell's, Founders
    Wisconsin - 3 Sheeps

mikeinportc and QuakeAttack like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Modern times, Kane. Fremont.

eppCOS, Pstone530 and ChicagoJ like this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, I suppose it all depends on what one read at the time (and how one defines "hype" I suppose :grin:) but early 1980s issues of Zymurgy covered the brewery (ex. "Small Breweries Revive", Winter 1980), the industry magazine Brewers Digest had a Feb. 1980 article on SN and the brewery was mentioned in M. Jackson's first US ed. Pocket Guide to Beer in 1982. It's reputation preceded it's availability for me.

mikeinportc, BJC, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  28. dennis3951

Nice to know that. I 1st drank it at a restaurant in the Napa Valley in the very early 80's. We used to visit family out there a lot and when there and always ordered Anchor Steam when out.. This place said they were out of Anchor but had a beer just as good but very different from it. I said fine and about 1/2 way into the pint was a believer. Have to admit it was sort of starling to taste.

mikeinportc, zid, BJC and 2 others like this.
  29. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast (0) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

30. A_Drunken_Production

A_Drunken_Production (0) Aug 14, 2017 Oregon
    Society

This question is hard for me. I'm not sure of hype surrounding certain breweries. I lived near Niagara Falls and when I told people I lived there, they'd ask if I went to Niagara Falls a lot. See it once, you've seen it. It was kinda mundane. So, I know in Portland, there was hype for Great Notion - which I think do a great job with hazy beers.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  31. eppCOS

eppCOS (1,094) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Damn difficult - but in no particular order:
    La Cumbre, Jester King, 3 Fonteinen, Cantillon, Revolution's barrel series, Fuller's, Modern Times, Reuben's, Holy Mountain, it's kinda hard to know when to stop. Closer to CO (home): Cerebral, Weldwerks, Mountain Sun, and hyper-local: Cerberus (our only stand-out brewer in Colorado Springs).
    :l

SFACRKnight and ChicagoJ like this.
  32. bubseymour

Society Trader

Is Suarez considered a hyped brewery? I’ve had mostly great beers from them so far.

Burial seems to be touted as the best beer maker in Asheville, and I’d have to agree with that based on my moderate sample size of area brewers.

eppCOS and ChicagoJ like this.
  33. bubseymour

Society Trader

I am mixed on Russian River. Their sours/wilds are amazing and IMO meet the hype. I’m however very mixed on most of their other styles, so perhaps not meeting the hype as an overall brewer.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  34. JayORear

JayORear (870) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Nice call on Reuben’s. When I was in Seattle last summer, that was my favorite brewery by quite a bit.

eppCOS and ChicagoJ like this.
  35. beer_banse

beer_banse (0) Sep 23, 2014 Wisconsin

Tried to think of some smaller breweries that are really producing some good stuff

Wisconsin - Central Waters, 608 Brewing
    Minnesota - Castle Danger, Forager
    Illinois - Alulu, Moody Tongue
    Iowa - Lion Bridge

eppCOS, SFACRKnight and ChicagoJ like this.
  36. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack (810) Mar 19, 2012 California

Nice list. Since you have a few of mine, I will start with your list and add from there:

California - SN, FW, Cellarmaker, Alesmith
    Hawaii - Maui, Ola
    Oregon - Caldera, Hair of the Dog
    Colorado - Great Divide, Oskar Blues
    Florida - Cigar City
    New York - Finback, Hudson Valley
    Illinois - Revolution
    Michigan - Founders
    Washington - Fremont

cwm51662, mikeinportc and ChicagoJ like this.
  37. ja1022

ja1022 (361) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

Three Floyds, 18th Street (again), Pipeworks and Half Acre and Short's. Not sure how much they're hyped outside of the 'Michiana" area but Transient Artisan Ales is consistently impressive. Bare Hands in Granger Indiana is way under hyped to me. They brew great stuff.

ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. tzieser

tzieser (0) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Pretty much all of the 'hyped' breweries that I've tried have met the hype for me.....granted I love beer so much that I have kinda low standards; it kinda takes a heck of a lot to disappoint me

Alchemist
    AZ Wilderness
    Fox Farm
    Hill Farmstead
    Other Half
    Pueblo Vida
    Russian River
    Suarez
    Tired Hands
    Tree House
    Tombstone
    Veil

#38 tzieser, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  39. MrOH

MrOH (994) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

I've yet to encounter a brewery that was hyped that I really dug. Best is, huh, this is pretty good. There are some breweries that I will always check out when they put out something new (Bell's, Founder's, Stone, Sierra Nevada, and recently Silver Branch), but it's more because they are just trying to make good beer, not "cool" beer. (Less so for Stone; I know that they make good IPAs, and I'll end up checking them all out.) I don't consider those breweries to be hyped anymore, though.

I've been to Hill Farmstead, and the best part of the experience was the stinky golden retriever that lived next door and wanted to play. I've been let down by everything I've tried from Tired Hands and Commonwealth. Every beer from what I'd been told from the friends I've had in the trader community is from a hyped brewery has been a let down. Back when Russian River was the brewery to try, outside of Pliny the Elder, I wasn't really that impressed. Port City sucked. And I understand process and tend to like well-structured sours.

Basically, focus on core, have a loss-leader that makes the die-hard geeks happy, and stop making hazy IPAs with the same 3 hops, pastry stouts, or alcoholic fruit juice sours.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I just want to be able to drink a variety of beer, depending on my mood, that is readily available and reasonably priced for the market.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  40. Giantspace

Giantspace (842) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Don’t think they are hyped but

Forest and Main is as good as any.

Better than Tired Hands for my taste.

Great English, Belgian and IPA

Suarez is top of the heap too. Last summer I had a great time and great beer there.

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.