Breweries that sell beer in 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Feb 26, 2014.

?

What do you think of 4 packs of 16oz cans?

1. They're fine

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. They're annoying

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. They're fine if the cost less than a six pack

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

I'm starting to feel like all beer price posts should have their own section. Beer prices are different from state to state depending on many variables like shipping, taxes etc... I live in New York City, about a mile from Brooklyn Brewery. Their beers cost more here than they do in other states. That kinda blows my mind. I'm not sure what the deal is tho I can only imagine it has to do with state alcohol taxes. I get real jealous when I see folks can grab a 6 pack of Founders Porter for $8.99 but such is life.

AndrewBV likes this.
  2. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2009 Illinois

There are statements that are true in life. And then there are statements like this.

cello likes this.
  3. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (524) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina

My faves are all high gravity so I have no issue with 4 packs.

4. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Completely agree with you concerning how much high abv beer people drink. I compare 12oz of BCBS to 2 glasses of wine (let's assume a higher abv wine). I don't think drinking 12 oz of BCBS over 2-3 hours is unreasonable. I think the problems come when people slam it (which sadly I've seen too many people do) or reach for that second bottle (also seen lots of people doing this). Also have to agree with you on the bombers in general, although for some bottle conditioned Belgians and other beers that people like to age and open for a special time, I can see why the bigger bottle would be a good thing. I think many beer drinkers should look more at wine, even if they never plan to drink it, since they could learn some things, that would help them enjoy their beer more (I love both). The pint glass has to be the worst beer invention ever. So many people miss out on how the right type of glass can enhance your experience.:grinning:

RichardMNixon likes this.
  5. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,000) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Glad the Founders Red's Rye 4-pack I just got was on sale for $7.79 + .55 tax. So I still paid a little over $2 a bottle for a 6.6% IPA, but I feel like it was worth it.

6. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

I suppose we can't all be expected to read all threads in this forum, so I suppose I can forgive your ignorance.
    This has been covered pretty conclusively before.

Here's a few numbers from a related article. Homebrewing is of course different, but that's not what we're talking about is it?

Large Scale Breweries:

Factor in PricePercentage Weight
    Packaging28.00%
    Tax25.00%
    Sales and Marketing17.00%
    Production15.00%
    Malt8.00%
    Minor Ingredients4.00%
    Adjuncts2.00%
    Hops1.00%
    Total:100.00%

[​IMG]

RusImpStoLuv and jesskidden like this.
  7. geocool

geocool Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Just to play devil's advocate, you did use the word negligible:
    With ingredients accounting for at least 15% of the cost (and I wonder if for craft brewers it's not even more), it's certainly a lot less than probably a lot of people think, but still not negligible.

jmw likes this.
  8. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

fair enough

9. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

Another thread about beer costing too much.

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

colforbin73 likes this.
  10. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,693) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

happy to hear we can make an exception for you!

also, isn't it weird that some people will drop $10-15 for a single bottle of beer but hesitate to pay that much for a 4pack? wacky!

Black_ox, jcos and LambicPentameter like this.
  11. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Straight up. Love my 6 point beers.. and for what its worth the price of resin is great considering the hop and alcohol content.

12. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Also, global warmer is money.

Sixpoint likes this.
  13. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I'm considering some Pusser's, now that you mention it.

brewlover517 likes this.
  14. Hendry

Hendry Crusader (719) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Heady Topper 16 oz 4 pack remain the best value for top shelf IIPA @ $12.99 (though other shops sell it for $14.99).

brewlover517 and Biff_Tannen like this.
  15. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

No better answer. Consumers perpetuate what they hate

16. Sampman

Sampman Initiate (0) May 26, 2013 Alabama

I understand where you are coming from but I have a different gripe. I would rather pay the difference, $15-17 for a 6 pack rather than $10-12 for 4. 4 just doesn't seem enough to me and 8 is too much. I know I could save the extra two but I try to get something different every week or so that I do drink.

17. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Pricing, oz v oz per blah blah aside, I never liked 4pks. It's an affront to my sensitivities. Yes, I buy them. Sometimes, it's the only way to get the beer I want. But I prefer the good old-fashioned six pack. It balances better in the hand and therefore, is more easily tote-able. The 4's always feel a coupla beers shy of a full load.

18. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

"Makes me want to drink rum"
    What kind of rum are you drinking? I like Appleton's, which runs me $35/750mL. So still about $2/drink. Not uncommon for a well aged bourbon or rye to be $60-100, and then there's Scotch... :stuck_out_tongue:

And to whoever said "pint glass is the worst invention ever"
    I disagree, easy-drinking styles like IPAs are great out of a nice wide imperial pint glass IMO.
    [​IMG]

RusImpStoLuv likes this.
  19. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Michigan

Bought a nice 4pack of Scotty Karate for 7.49, at 9.5%, this is one tasty and strong Scotch Ale! Another good brew from Dark Horse.

brewlover517, smogfood and StLeasy like this.
  20. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

You all realize that there is a THREE tiered system right? That means the brewery sells to the distributor who sells to the beer store/bar/whatever and they sell to you. There are many more distributors than breweries and many more store/bars/etc than distributors. So as the beer goes down the line people want to get their cut. Its called making a profit. I can guarantee that any brewery that is able to sell their beer throughout this great nation of ours has a SET price for each distributor. They don't change it from company to company. That is an unsound business practice and in some states ILLEGAL. So maybe instead of bitching about the brewery you should go up to your local beer store owner and ask WTF. Or maybe try opening a beer store where you have a 10% markup instead of a 50% markup like most of these places. That is all.

joelwlcx and RusImpStoLuv like this.
  21. StLeasy

We just started getting Dark Horse here, and aside from some old Crooked Tree, we got that one; great to hear! I love scotch ales.

22. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Michigan

If you ever see Plead the 5th, or any of their stouts, get it, even if it's older, get it.

23. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Maybe I'm weird but what I buy is driven by various factors. Here's an example:

I was beer shopping and saw the Stochasisty Project a Grapefruit Slam IPA for 7.99 in a bomber. Literally two spots over I saw Sixpoint Hi Res for 10.99 4 pack. I had 2 issues with the grapefruit slam IPA. 1) Stone usually does 6.99 bombers and this was a dollar more. 2) I didn't want to drop that coin on the bigger brewery that was charging about $0.11 more per ounce. To me that's nonsense. I supported the smaller local brewer and got a great beer when truthfully I could easily afford both.

Now honestly I do have to fight the feeling that I may be missing out, especially when I'm in the fortunate situation to be able to buy whatever I want, cost isn't a "concern." You can't write off breweries like Sixpoint that are smaller just because it's a 4 pack format. Look at what some of the bigger breweries do when they don't have to. However I think someone else said it best. "Vote with your money." That's what I did and will continue to do, and if we want to see any change it's what we all will do.

Sixpoint likes this.
  24. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,693) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

Sounds like cost was a concern if you are aware that it was a $0.11 per ounce difference. :-)

But thanks for giving us a shot bro, and one of the other important points is sometimes you don't want to drink 22oz of Imperial IPA in a sitting. That's a 4-pack wins - you can drink them 12oz at a time.

cheers

25. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I knew the difference because I'm great with numbers, not because cost was a concern. My point is more along the lines of the bigger brewery putting out special offerings in a bomber when they don't have to. Yet a brewery like yours consistently using one format, I'll give the nod to the local, smaller guy doing "the right thing."

For what it's worth I bought a second 4 pack yesterday because I thought it was amazing. Stone can keep that 7.99 grapefruit slam.

26. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

There must be some demand if one is paying any price for a product such as beer. Boom, crushed by Common Logic 101.

27. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (517) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Haha...demand is measured by volume, not by ones thought that his purchases are more important than the whole. We now have come full circle..."supply and demand, next question". Haha...

StLeasy likes this.
  28. StLeasy

Planning on it! Personally, I enjoy a few stouts a week, but scotch ales and a malty strongs/barleywines are definitely my malt-bomb of choice.

29. AlaskanYoung

AlaskanYoung Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 Arkansas

4pack of Prairie Bomb is $29.99. Hurts my heart everytime I buy a pack, but it's worth it.

30. jollygoodfellow

jollygoodfellow Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Not a fan of 4packs either. But I do spring for them occasionally and I like to see a minimum 9% abv on those 4packs priced at $10. or more. In fact, I'd support legislation requiring that.

DarkDragon999 likes this.
  31. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

Why complain about 4-pks when bombers are even worse? Cost more per ounce than normal bottles.

32. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Damn...Those individual bottles that come in a 4-packs usually *are* better tasting beers than the 6-packers. I'm not running out buying 18 cans for $9.99 either. I think there's a correlation. The old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind. Quality...there is no substitute.

33. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Appears neither of you read the entire thread cause both of these items were addressed

34. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

So now there is volume. Hmm, interesting because before you said there was none. Doesnt matter to me either way, but you cant pick both sides bro.

35. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (517) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

?...you hurt my head...

36. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2009 Illinois

Exactly. First, it is not negligible. Second, the data cited refers to "commercial" beer sales. One must assume that includes BMC, which is the dominant provider of "commercial" beer. If you think their cost of ingredients relative to their overall cost is in any way informative of the costs a new nano brewer, for instance, would incur, that's just crazytown.

Even the relevant costs between a large craft producer like Founders, Bell's, Lagunitas, Brooklyn, etc. would bear little similarity to a small-volume producer.

37. smogfood

smogfood Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2010 Wisconsin

When I first saw Bigfoot in 4 packs I felt cheated. I wasn't happy about paying the six pack price for less beer, and I didn't buy any that year. I felt the same with Founders Reds Rye, and I won't buy it (I have broken down on the Bigfoot though, it's too good). In most cases I'm fine with 4 packs. I don't really need a 6 pack of a 12% abv beer, but I don't want to buy a 4 pack of pale ale at 6 pack prices. That's why I don't buy Green Flash.

I appreciate Bell's and Lagunitas for not going the 4 pack route.

38. smogfood

smogfood Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2010 Wisconsin

I guess the bottom line for me is, I'll try anything that sparks my interest regardless of 4 pack, 6 pack, or bomber, but if the quality doesn't match the price I won't buy it again.

39. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (483) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Just saw that Rising Tide is moving to 4-packs. I guess this is an improvement over bombers only, but still, those should be 6-pack beers.

40. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

I don't have a problem with the nerds who need the lastest and greatest, but don't talk shit when I grab a six pack of Goose Island's delicious Nut Brown Ale for $7.99 while you're paying $9.99 for a four pack of an inferior brown ale like Four Hands. "You're supporting In-Bev!" says the nerd with deep pockets.

Well, you're supporting over-priced shit, needledick.

watermelon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.