Breweries that sell beer in 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Feb 26, 2014.

?

What do you think of 4 packs of 16oz cans?

1. They're fine

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. They're annoying

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. They're fine if the cost less than a six pack

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Mr. patkorn, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

2. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Nut Brown Ale was great when I had it but I havent seen it on the shelf in a long long time.

On a side note, Young's Double Chocolate Stout (bottled) does not need to be sold in 4 packs. I had it for the first time recently after bypassing it for a long time and 11.2 oz bottles and its not high ABV and its 4 packs and its 10 bucks. WTF is up with that? Its not that good.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  3. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I buy my share of 4-packs, but I don't like to because they make it harder to organize the beer fridge. My shelves will hold 6 bottles or cans, front to back. As to the cost per oz, we all have to make that decision. Lightman

4. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

Founders did quite a good job explaining why they chose to take Reds Rye out of the 6 pack rotation and make it a four pack. It only has a 90 day shelf life and you can still get it year round on tap at the taproom. As far as FBS goes that's one of their seasonal beers and this years batch is as good as it is every year. I can't quote the 4 pack price because its $15 for me in a growler though I'm pretty sure the 4 packs are around 11.99 that's pretty damn fair.

5. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

My brand (Finch's) sells in 4 packs of 16 oz cans. Same volume of liquid as a six pack if 12 oz.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,112) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished:

4 X 16 oz. = 64 oz.
    6 X 12 oz. = 72 oz.

7. johnrf

johnrf Initiate (34) May 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Maybe the problem is that some of us don't spend every minute of the day here but just check in every week or so. We don't keep track of which issues have been discussed before. I think the more threads on this issue the more likely certain brewers are to see that some are not happy with price gouging 4-packs.

I've found, here in PA, that I'm better off buying a case instead of 4-packs. Dirt Wolf is about $10.99 per four pack while a case is about $45. A huge savings.

8. johnrf

Why don't you?

9. johnrf

I agree. I'm always a little pissed off when I drive to a local brewery and the prices are the same as in the stores. After all, I'm doing the delivery....

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't.

readyski likes this.
  11. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

shit maybe its 16.9, 500mL bottles. I always seem to get those confused (especially when its an american beer in .5L containers).

12. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

But we were promised 6 packs at the same pricing of FBS, they clearly could do this or they wouldn't have said it to begin with. I like many of Founders brews, but I hate many of their policies. I only get some really interesting backstage stuff from them any more. They need to learn that customers won't tolerate these prices. I stand by what I think of this years FBS, I'd rate a 3 instead of the usual 5, it's not as good as every other year, expansion both the brewery and distribution are the worst things that have ever happened to Founders.

13. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (150) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

Please explain how you think this is anyway incoherant. Maybe try putting ideas together in a way that can break down my stupidity and show your supreme knowledge of things in a way we can all understand. We all look forward to you encylcopedic comprehension of the world. May the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you.

14. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

I can appreciate your pov but again I will have to disagree. Expansion brought us this year's first Firkin Freezout which gave us something like 50+ firkins. Sorry I can't remember the exact number of them we celebrated my bday that day!!

Also I can say it was a bummer that growler pricing went up this year but I kinda feel like I was getting a crazy deal for Class 1 beers at $7 a fill for so many years. That said I still think anyone's best value is typically filling growlers at the source if you have the means. Smoked Porter in a growler for $15 was a steal compared to a bomber for $10.

15. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (575) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Our liquor tax is extremely, extremely high. It's probably top 3 in the country. For instance, when I buy say a 6pack of Jai Alai priced at $13.99, I walk away paying $15.50. It is absurd. At least we get good beers here.

ceeg likes this.
  16. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I buy what I want to drink and I like variety. Some are in 6pk/4pk/22/750/1L etc......

If people are assessing choices based on EtOH volume/$, reassess your priorities or consider a Hawaiian Punch equivalent and Fleischman's vodka.

17. muddyh2oblues

muddyh2oblues Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Illinois
    Deactivated

some 4 packs are canned pints also, giving you only 8 ounces less than a six pack of 12 ounce brews. tallgrass is one that comes to mind and also a local brewery, great river, sells pint canned 4 packs. one thing for me is a beer budget, so i'm ok with buying a 4 pack of something i really like @ 8.99 - 9.99. just means a few less beers that week.

18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I happen to like 16 oz cans, especially at the beach, saves on running back and fourth to grab beers.

EricTKole likes this.
  19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Lets, see...

Your rant had absolutely nothing to do with the thread at hand, which is breweries who put beer in 4pks.

You made wild assertions about what breweries can charge their distributors, and the legality thereof, most of which was incorrect.

Last but not least, you claimed that "most" retailers are making 50% margins, which is almost double what actually occurs.

Also, thank you for the blessing, and may you also be touched by his noodly appendages. Ramen.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  20. derniebeer5

derniebeer5 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2010 California

As someone who works in the craft beer industry, I can assure you breweries are not trying to rip you off with the higher prices. Do you know how much time and money and labor goes into make a solid craft beer, especially for a small craft brewery? Do you understand how hard it is to get your beer into the customers hands these days with the overcrowded industry?

In regards to your comments about 4-packs; small breweries make almost NOTHING off of 4-packs. They're meant to be a higher velocity package to get into more people's hands. Breweries have to sell to distributors who then sell to retailers; distributors and retails are the one's making the most profits, not the brewery, even though we do most of the work. Beer ingredients are always rising in costs, and that has to be passed along to the buyer. It's how any market works. Larger breweries can afford to offer their beers at lower prices and in 6-packs because they have the financial resources. Most breweries in this country are not large breweries.

In regards to your comments about bombers; that package might seem like a price gouge to you, but it's the best package for a small brewery to make any sort of profit on. Plus, it also allows the consumer to try the beer in more of a single-serving size before committing to a 4-pack, 6-pack, etc.

I assure you small breweries would love to sell a lot more of their beer in 4-packs for less if they could stand to make any money on it after you factor in labor, equipment, ingredients, distributors, & retails. These are just the facts!

Cheers.

southdenverhoo and Biff_Tannen like this.
  21. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Red's Rye was also their most expensive to brew year-round beer. Lots of amarillo, and lots of imported caramel malt that I'm guessing was only used for Red's.

Come to think of it, I'm getting low (on Red's). Gonna have to pick up another case before it's gone.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you were implying this, but- Red's is available on draft year-round throughout their distribution, not just the taproom. And it's available for home purchase, not limited to bars like some beers are.

-On the subject of 4 Hands:
    Like others have said, gravity =/= cost. I personally love their (single hop) Centennial Red as much as I do Two Hearted, and can't wait until it's available in 6-12 packs. Until then, I can live with drinking ~6 less beers a month due to the $50/case cost.

#141 StLeasy, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    EricTKole likes this.
  22. Davebeer50

Davebeer50 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Massachusetts

Nothing? Please define nothing. Sixpoint only does 4 packs that I know of- so they make no profit? And DF makes nothing on their 90 minute? The list could go on and on. Last question- a bomber is more of a single serving size?

23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm kind of surprised the prices are so stable, trucking costs must be staggering:

24. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

this 4pk of victory dirtwolf cost me $9 in fucking manhattan. considering the beer is better than fresh maine beer co. lunch ($7~ for a 16oz bottle), i'm not gonna slag victory for selling a 4pk instead of 6pk.

cavedave likes this.
  25. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (150) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

The thread us about the discepency is the price of four packs and the price of six pa
    The thread is about the discepency in four pack and six pack prices. My point on this and other threads about how much breweries charge for any sort of packaged beer off site is that once it leaves the brewery it is out of the brewers hands. My point is instead of being pissed off at the brewer maybe WE should all be annoyed by the other two parties involved. As far as 50% mark ups maybe things are different in Oregon,but here in San Diego I see it in many places I go to. Penne to you sir.

26. jayhoppin

jayhoppin Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 California

I really don't care, I'll buy it if I think it's reasonable. As much as I love craft beer there is no secret they are a business and will charge what they want. It's still not as bad as the the price ups liquor stores make just because they want to and even worse when they try to price up beers like cantillon. First of all many of them don't legally get it distributed to them and 2nd a gueuze bio lambic by cantillon can easily be sold for about 25 bucks but get sold to anywhere from 35-40. I'm ok with breweries charging what they want it's there product they made it. If I feel it's not worth it I won't touch it, if it's a good price, I'll give it a try. I do have a problem with liquor stores pricing up for a product that is not theirs.

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Don't buy 4 paks. Buy fresh, local, better beer, in growlers, from neighbors and future friends. Problem solved.

28. jesskidden

Society Trader

The "liquor tax" on beer - actually the state excise tax on beer (different rates on liquor and wine) - in New York State is 14¢ a gallon - unless you are in NYC, where there's an additional 12¢/gallon tax tacked on. That adds up to a little over 1¢ tax on a 12 oz. standard bottle of beer (and 2.5¢ in the City). The NY State beer excise tax rate is among the lowest in the nation - #39 out of the 50 states.

Perhaps you are confusing the standard state and county sales taxes that are also applied to beer (along with many other consumer goods) with "liquor tax". As noted in the first link, charging consumers sales tax on beer in addition to excise tax (that is normally paid at the wholesaler/brewer level) is not uncommon.

29. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (575) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Very surprising to hear. Considering I live in Nassau County, I'm not surprised the tax on beer and most other goods are absurd.

30. geocool

geocool Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

And what do you do when you buy a 6-pack and then drink two of them?

31. ChristopherShain

ChristopherShain Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Michigan

Some beers cost more to make then others.

32. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

We all know how basic math works and how much a bottle of something costs. But I'm curious as to what "run of the mill" beers you're seeing sold as $10 four packs, because frankly, I don't know that I've ever seen that.

33. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

Organization is an ongoing battle that I seem to be losing, but what do ya do? I just try to enjoy those two and move on!:wink: Lightman

34. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Green Flash West Coast IPA, Hop Head Red, etc. Palate Wrecker? I can see that. Rayon Vert? Sure. But while those beers are fantastic, they are regular styles that should not be significantly more expensive per ounce than their style counterparts.

35. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

West Coast IPA holds off my cravings for Red's Rye out of season with its delicious caramel malt, and Hop Head Red is another one of my favorites (And where are you finding fresh HHR around STL!?)

I'm also fairly sure Green Flash is not the most successful brewery at all, despite how well-received they are. What do you mean "than their style counterparts"? Green Flash isn't making other beers and selling them for a cheaper price.

36. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (543) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

You paid $10 for Black Chocolate Stout? Last time I got it, it was $7.99

37. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

Just speak with the almighty dollar my friend. It makes a louder statement than any words.

38. pitweasel

What? Now I'm lost. You're saying that quality shouldn't cost more? I'm so confused.

39. pitweasel

6x12 = 72
    72/4 = 18

Never in my life have I seen an 18 ounce bottle of beer.

40. jesskidden

Society Trader

Closest I can think of would be Samuel Smith's 18.7-ounce (550 ml) "Victorian Pint" bottles. But they (like most 500ml. bottles) aren't routinely sold in 4-packs, only as singles. Even their annual holiday gift pack w/free glass contains only 3 bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.