Breweries that sell beer in 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Feb 26, 2014.

?

What do you think of 4 packs of 16oz cans?

1. They're fine

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. They're annoying

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. They're fine if the cost less than a six pack

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fezzik1970

Fezzik1970 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 New Jersey

Just making sure you don't mean 4 packs of 16oz cans you mean 4 packs of 12oz like some of the 6point stuff?

2. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

I rarely see fresh HHR which further proves why it's way overpriced for a 4 pack. And while I think WC IPA is great, why would I pay $10 for 4 of those (or any other regular IPA)when for the same cost or less I could get 6 of the following beers:

Two Hearted
    Schlafly AIPA
    Stone IPA
    Founders Centennial IPA
    Boulevard Single-Wide
    FW Union Jack

And more...

3. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

See my last post. What I meant earlier was that for an imperial stout (double black) or IIPA (Palate Wrecker) $9.99 per 4 is acceptable and on par with market price.

And to an earlier poster, I do not include 4 packs of 16 oz cans as part of this debate (I will buy Tallgrass all day long at $7.99 for 4 16 oz cans).

4. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

I hate four packs. I don't really care too much about price, they can charge whatever they want, sales will show whether people think it is worth it or not. If I get a 4pk it just isn't enough beer. I also open up a beer while cooking. then one more while having dinner. So if there are 2 of us, we finished the pack before dinner is even over. 6 packs all the time.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  5. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (137) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Some people think a 22 is too much. Some people think a 22 is too little. Some people think a 6pk is too much. Some people think a 4pk is too little. Some fucker at Miller has been scanning these posts and it lead to the design of the Miller Lite 36pk. For when 30 aint enough and sixty is too many. Great job guys. Craft just lost a little bit more shelf space.

MartzMimic likes this.
  6. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Well, when I buy WCIPA over any of those, it is because none of the above taste very similar to WCIPA at all IMO. I'd rather drink a little less and get the beer I want than substituting, especially when there aren't any very similar options.

How does rarely seeing fresh HHR futher prove anything? There could be many explanations. Green Flash seems to try to send their stuff to as many places within their distro as possible. The more places that get it, the more shelf-turds there will be.

By the way, I pay $12 for WCIPA most of the time I get it at a very small craft store over here on the East side. Again I'd rather drink a little less if it means having something I enjoy more. To each his own :slight_smile:

7. edmaher

edmaher Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 Illinois

Where's the 5-pack? I feel like everyone would get along if we had that.

malvrich and dcbullet like this.
  8. Rbodacious

Rbodacious Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2009 Virginia

Agreed.Tank 7, same thought Resin, Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale...everyone fill in the blank- these are treats that I am glad to have available to bring home every now and then. Definitely not for a regular go to, yes,due to price.But not something I'm going to complain about, but be thankful for the option. I still go by the comparason to the cost of going to a bar or brewpub and I feel it's still a bargain. I say Be thankful more often.

StLeasy likes this.
  9. Rbodacious

Rbodacious Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2009 Virginia

Buy 5 four packs... close your eyes...poof ...you've got 4 five packs.

gfg0020 likes this.
  10. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

[​IMG]
    Starting in April, WCIPA and HHR will be 8.1%. Now that they're both >10% stronger, will you be purchasing them any more frequently?

11. Uncle_Iroh

Uncle_Iroh Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

I'm interested in people's thoughts. I personally dislike them. I live in Chicago and would buy Half Acre's stuff a lot more if it didn't come in 4 packs that cost the same as six packs. I'm getting less beer and less 'instances' of drinking that beer. Though I do buy Pilsner Urquell's 4 packs but they cost like 7 bucks.

breadwinner likes this.
  12. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (246) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

I mean, you're getting 5 beers. All things being equal, I purchase in the format where the price per oz is least. That said, if a particular beer I want is only available in 4 packs, I buy it in 4 packs.

APBT91 likes this.
  13. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

They are fine with me depnding ont he price point. I can't say I expect them to be less than some sixers but 4 pints is a goodly amount of beer for one purchase. It gives you enough to really try it without having a bunch left over if you don't like it. If you already know you like it a nice pint is a good drink and you have 3 more for later.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

I think they're a bit annoying, and I'd certainly prefer 12oz cans, but it doesn't stop me from buying them or anything. I just feel like 12oz is a pretty nice sweet spot re: the amount of beer I'd like per serving. I often don't finish the last couple ounces of a 16oz can.

I am interested why they seem to be a popular sizing choice for brewers versus the 12oz can.

15. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

You're getting 5 1/3, 12oz beers. Pretty close to the same as a European 11.2oz six pack.

I treat them the same as I do any six pack really, if I like the beer and it's a good value, I buy... if not, I don't.

16. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Why isn't "The best thing ever" a choice? Love me some big ol' cans.

17. RonfromJersey

RonfromJersey Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2002 New Jersey

Prefer four packs to six packs.

18. malvrich

malvrich Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Cig ol' bans!
    (motorboat)
    :stuck_out_tongue:

19. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (265) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I take the easy way.
    I spend what I feel is affordable, for what I feel is worth it, and am never at a loss for great beer to purchase.
    Pretty simple really.

20. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

No problem with 4 pack 16 oz cans, I don't even have a problem with 4 pack 12 oz bottles. Some 4 packs are high ABV beers which I think makes up for the missing bottles in a six-pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.