Breweries that you don't like as much as you used to?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

No, that's been changed several times.

2. KentT

KentT Aspirant (244) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

If Stone had any sense they'd sell the third in lead lined bottles for Oak Ridge, Tennessee consumption right now. The BA quote of the week right there, game set and match!

Lahey likes this.
  3. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Stop provoking the troll. Go back and read his initial responses to people throughout this thread, and watch the conversation go up in flames almost immediately.

alucard6679 likes this.
  4. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

#84 DISKORD, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,977) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

After giving this a bit of thought, I guess I'd have to go with Stone. This was the first "craft brewery" I was really into, and I appreciated (and still do) their excellence across a variety of styles. But with so many other breweries doing the same things as well or better - and often cheaper - they just don't carry the same cachet with me as they once did.

Chcshammonde, Premo88 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,143) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Karbach

When they sold to AB-In Bev, I said I'd wait a year, give it time to sort itself out then buy a 6-pack of Sympathy for the Lager and see if it was still the best beer in Texas.

They stopped brewing it, and you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out why. And that sucks. Karbach played a huge role in getting me back into beer in 2012/13, and now they don't even brew their best beer because the return on cost ratio sucks. That sucks, but the good news is there's still Live Oak Pilz, Live Oak Gold, Real Ale Hans Pils, Altstadt Lager, Southern Star Summer Pils and many more beers brewed here in state that help ease the pain.

7. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

Whoa, look at all the Stone responses. Crazy. Was a huge, huge fan of theirs. I would unfortunately have to agree though. As a beer drinker, I’m spoiled rotten by local and regional options that produce high quality, super fresh beer across many styles. Fieldwork, Revision, New Glory, Alvarado St, SARA.....this has all evolved tremendously over the past 2-3 years, so I end up hardly ever buying Stone anymore.

Also: Clown Shoes. For some reason I feel like I’ve cycled through the best of what they are capable of at this point.

8. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (393) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

Stone, New Belgium

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,078) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Go tell your kids what to do. I'm a grown ass man.

I will. I still love Abbey, but haven't had tripel in a while.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  10. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Initiate (126) Nov 13, 2010 Arizona

It pains me to say this but Stone has lost me. They’ve either quit brewing or changed all of my favorite beers from them. Really the OG Enjoy By, and Ruinten (without the orange) are the only beers from them I look forward to anymore.

SFACRKnight and TongoRad like this.
  11. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Founders for me. Used to chase KBS every year, and their other BA beers were whales to me (Curmudgeon's Better Half, Frangelic, etc.). Now all they make are barrel aged IPAs :rolling_eyes:

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (166) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Damn this has turned into a 'What happened to Stone?' thread.... Still love Delicious IPA but yeah they to branch out a bit. For me it's Rogue and of course,anything AB...

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  13. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (724) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Stone Brewing

I recently bought a 6-pack of Stone IPA since I have not had that beer in years and it used to be one of my all time favorites. Cracked one open and found the beer noticeably much different then I remembered in a negative way.

Then it hit me, I had totally forgotten that they tampered even with this beer too! Im referring to the new Dry Hop Recipe change in late 2016/early 2017, that included a bunch of new Australian Hops.

The beer was not the beloved West Coast Pine Needle and Grapefruit forward IPA I remembered and wanted! It was different "To Me" now.

In fact this beer has convinced me of the potential reality that dry hopping can impact a base beers flavor profile in a notable way. That couple with the fact that we taste with primarily with our noses.

Bottom line is alot of my favorite stone beers were either retired or altered and things like the Hop Worship series have taken their place.

Plus Greg going over to Berlin, Mitch leaving stone, couple with recipe changes, 2.0 series ect...... RIP Stone Brewing.

TongoRad and JackHorzempa like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,614) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Based upon a number of posts I have read you might want to add "beer from the RVA brewery different from the CA brewery" to that list.

Cheers!

GuyFawkes, TongoRad and DEdesings57 like this.
  15. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (724) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

This list is getting long!

16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Defender (653) Mar 29, 2010 American Samoa
    Trader

Goose Island. Don't know if it's an image thing but I wont really intentionally drink it unless I'm at like a Applebee's or Airport

bubseymour and GuyFawkes like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Because Goose Island is owned by AB?

Cheers!

18. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I'd give Victory another shot, but some new beers out that I personally really vibe with. Great value in my area as well! Cheers!

Tilley4 likes this.
  19. IPAExpert69

Oh no NOT THIS THREAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GuyFawkes and JackHorzempa like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

The discussion topic that just keeps giving!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

21. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Stone is releasing a new stout nationwide in July, I want to give it a try.

22. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

Bell's, Stone, Founders, Goose Island.......

23. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Don't bother with their stuff, either, even when I'm in Chicago, but I won't turn up my nose to any of "The Sisters" or any of their BBA stuff.

24. IPAExpert69

Elysian Space Dust IPA, just simply cannot rationalize paying that price for a beer with increasingly diminishing returns.
    Only time I don't turn my nose to Goose Island is when it's the only IPA on tap at a dive bar when I'm with my college buddies. Even then 9/10 if they have PBR or Yuengling I'm taking that.

sportscrazed2 likes this.
  25. cmiller4642

I was at the Mirage in Las Vegas in 2016, and they had free Goose Island IPA on the buffet.

I drank quite a bit of Goose Island IPA that day :slight_smile:

Lahey and IPAExpert69 like this.
  26. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

You won that day.

Lahey and IPAExpert69 like this.
  27. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (886) Dec 3, 2014 California

I've gone the other direction. I did a lot of whale chasing and all that good stuff for many years. Last couple years I've more re-discovered the excellence of the old guard.

Stone doesn't have the #newmoneyhazebro stuff but they make excellent West Coast IPAs which are still delicious.

Firestone Walker Pivo Pils is literally the most delicious beer on the planet. Fight me. I can quaff that shit all night.

Sam Adams makes lots of lovely beers in all sorts of styles that I still enjoy very much.

Sierra Nevada has their great core beers. Then they have Nooner Pilsner which is awesome. Then they do a yearly festbier collab with old world German breweries. Fuck to the yes.

28. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (193) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Stone. Once they started with Go To (horrid hop water), their Coffee Milk Stout (no bueno), and then pumping everything with hops that tasted like Jolly Ranchers, I was out.

For local, Carton. Nothing they do excites me anymore and I was a huge fanboy a few years ago.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  29. IPAExpert69

This isn't correct, Go To does something that not many brewers can offer: A session IPA with real taste.
    This isn't correct, Carton may be playing more to their classics, but they make exceptional beer. Kane, Cape May, and Ludlam may be better (Hidden Sands will be very soon), but make no mistake Carton can hang in Jersey.

30. jcflorian

jcflorian Devotee (441) Oct 27, 2014 Connecticut

I hate to say this + I expect to be bashed for this.

Tree House.

They are prob still my favorite brewery, and the new brewery is spectacular. However the quality has definitely dipped a bit since they moved from Monson. I loved the old Monson brewery. Stand in line to get 4-6 cans and you treasured every one of them. Now their limits are super high. I enjoy them still, but they just don't blow me away any more.

I think many people go there just to trade their beers . To be honest, I have been doing a lot of that lately too.

I used to feel that no brewery came close to TH. Cant say that now.

But don't get me wrong, it is still a very good brewery.

31. cmiller4642

The BA Top 250 kind of ruins the beer scene a bit IMO. I would definitely try TH if I was in MA and I could get it, but I'm not going to go nuts because I can't get a can of Green right now. It can't be THAT much better than my favorite fresh local IPA offerings

32. Bobbymozz

Bobbymozz Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 New Jersey

Sam Adams, Magic Hat, Long Trail, all trying to put out “look we make NEIPA too” when they were premiere NE Brewery’s in the first place!

33. WIBeerSnob

WIBeerSnob Initiate (153) Jan 31, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

It kills me to say this, but it's probably 3 Floyds. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of the better breweries in the Midwest, but I don't go crazy for them like I used to. A few years ago, I remember chasing after Zombie Dust whenever it was tapped in a bar. Nowadays, I won't go out of my way for it. I still really enjoy their stuff...but I guess there's so much other good brews out there that I want to have/try instead. I guess my love for chasing 3 Floyds hops here has been replaced with trading for NE hops lately.

Also, I think Dark Lord isn't as good as it used to be. Or maybe my expectations of a really good stout have sky rocketed....I don't know. The past couple of years ('17+'18) DL tastes too much like soy sauce to me. I prefer GI, CW and Founders stouts to theirs.

Dharmelink and GuyFawkes like this.
  34. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (193) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

I enjoy you saying that my subjective take on Carton is not correct.

tobelerone, GuyFawkes and chrisjws like this.
  35. graham515

graham515 Initiate (106) Jun 5, 2007 Texas

Sorry to hear it was your favorite beer! I've been at Karbach since the beginning and it was always loved by us, but ultimately it just didn't sell well. I can understand why you might think that it was due to the AB deal, but I can assure you it wasn't. We had been tinkering with the idea for quite some time and when other brands started really accelerating we made the decision to DC it.

I think you'll see that beer again. Not sure when, but it's always got a place in my heart!

TongoRad likes this.
  36. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,801) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Just curious - is Eric Warner still involved with Karbach?

37. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,208) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just announced YET ANOTHER one today!! Mind-boggling.

I've gotta say, I'm starting to actually respect them...they clearly could give a shit about what pretty much everyone wants from a barrel aged beer!

Fox82791 likes this.
  38. rfgetz

rfgetz Poo-Bah (2,714) Nov 14, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

Over the last year or so, I feel they have spent more time re releasing old favorites, than coming up with new and exciting recipes. Appreciative that I can find many more canned varieties in SJ these days. And I still will go out of my way to try anything new they come out with.

39. graham515

graham515 Initiate (106) Jun 5, 2007 Texas

Yessir! Eric is still Brewmaster here!

Domingo likes this.
  40. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,801) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

That's great to hear. He's such an unsung pioneer for German beer styles in the US. He's still a little bit of a mythical figure out here in CO as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.