Breweries to visit in New Orleans

Discussion in 'South' started by KalbHOMEBREWS, Jun 8, 2017.

1. KalbHOMEBREWS

KalbHOMEBREWS Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2017 Colorado

Hello!

I'll be in New Orleans with a car over the weekend and I'm curious if any locals have recommendations on breweries to check out while I'm down there.

I really like sours, BA, and just fun funky beers. Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

Matt

2. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Poo-Bah (2,053) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Premium Trader

Definitely go to Courtyard brewing. NOLA has some cool Sours to check out. For bottle shops, hit up 504 Craft Beer Reserve and Steins. 504 Craft has growler fills also.

Redrover and KalbHOMEBREWS like this.
  3. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (62) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

I was just down there and hit up a few breweries. Can't speak towards Courtyard, because I didn't get a chance to go there. NOLA definitely is a nice hit for the sours...I would probably skip their IPAs though. Urban South had some tasty IPAs and a few funkier beers on tap. They also have a huge space inside a warehouse with all kinds of games, pool, fooseball to play. Beware though, it is not temperature controlled, so it'll get really hot.

There was also a newer brewery in Bywater called Parleaux Beer Labs that had a nice chill feel to it. I think they're the only brewery over on that side of town.

4. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (2,978) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois

I second Courtyard, we had a great time there and the beers were top notch.

Beervaulter and craft_shannie like this.
  5. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (244) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I third Courtyard. Made two visits there last year and had a good time. NOLA is great, too, but really busy on Fridays and Saturdays. There's a new brewery called Wayward Owl. I don't know much about them, but it looks like they're making some solid offerings.

Beervaulter and Redrover like this.
  6. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Devotee (408) Nov 9, 2012 Indiana

fourth to courtyard. legit.

Redrover likes this.
  7. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (178) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

5th on courtyard.
    Been 5 times. 5 for 5.

8. miamichael2

miamichael2 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for local beers at the New Orleans airport? I'll have a 90 minute layover there in Concourse B, but should have time to go to a different concourse if necessary. Thanks!

9. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Poo-Bah (1,761) Jul 28, 2013 Texas
    Premium

Will join the chorus...Courtyard was freaking amazing when I visited earlier this year. NOLA Brewing is also well worth a visit...good selection.

10. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (54) May 25, 2016 Florida

I'll be in NOLA next weekend, sounds like Courtyard is a must! do they have cans/bottles/crowlers/growlers? I had a couple of the Urban South beers a friend brought back recently, tasty. anywhere else that i need to hit? Also, best bottle shop? ill be in town Saturday and Sunday, but am staying in Slidell Fri and Sun Night. so either location for a shop would be fine.

11. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Courtyard fills growlers only. They don't can/bottle anything. Urban South and NOLA are right near Courtyard and worth a visit. Also should stop in at Avenue Pub which is in the same area.

Best bottle shops are 504 Craft Beer Reserve and Steins Deli (beer room in back). Both in New Orleans and both sell singles of everything. 504 also has about 6 beers on tap and they fill growlers.

Gsteele292 likes this.
  12. djbrown13

djbrown13 Initiate (177) Jul 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Thanks to this thread and our own research we hit Courtyard first on a trip down last weekend. Also spent quality time at NOLA and Urban South. Outside of breweries we enjoyed Avenue Pub and the Black Penny.

NolaHopHead likes this.
  13. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (365) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Watching this thread. I'll be heading to NO over Halloween arriving Sunday at noon, leaving Thursday - my wife is going to be at a conference for work, and I'm tagging along. The plus is that I have basically 2 and 2 half days I can amuse myself while she's in conference classes. Then we go out evenings.
    I guess Courtyard is the one to hit, and NOLA as well.
    I'm hoping to stay more or less in the convention center area - I did see there are a couple breweries down Tchoupitoulos that I'll hit one day. I think NOLA is one of them.

14. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,521) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Enjoy your stay, non beer related but when in NOLA I make it a point to start the day and end the day at Cafe Du Monde.

drtth likes this.
  15. JrGtr

Sounds good. I plan to hit Cochon Butcher and Central Market at least once during the stay.
    Urban South sounds like a brewery to hit also.
    I also have Port Orleans Brewery and Crescent City Brewhouse marked down - are they worth a stop? I saw there;s a Gordon Biersh right in town also - gonna give that a miss being a chain, and going to be near one of their other locations a month and change from now anyway.

16. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,490) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

While I agree with @donspublic about starting the day at Cafe du Monde, I'd suggest planning on ending the day at The Avenue Pub.

http://theavenuepub.com

17. JrGtr

So I've been back a week, and I have to say any recommendations were spot on. From Café Du Monde (a pound plus of sugar in a bag of 3 beignets!) on, it was great from a consumables department. I ended up walking something like 45 miles around the city in the 4 1/2 days I was there (had to burn it all off somehow) Went to 3 brewerys, Courtyard, Urban South and Crescent City, and had a few things from NOLA and one of the others. Crescent's beers were passable, but the food was great. The others were as advertised. Hit Cochon Butcher twice, didn't make it to Central Kitchen. Made it to Acme Oyster House. The World of Beer was pretty good as well. Good food and a heck of a selection.
    I did spend most of a day at the World War 2 Museum. Highly recommended.
    PLus people watching at Bourbon Street on Halloween Night? yeah. About as you think.

drtth and donspublic like this.
  18. Robyn

Robyn Disciple (343) Dec 20, 2006 South Carolina

I would rather start my day at Avenue than end it there.

guzzleacoldone likes this.
  19. jivy26

jivy26 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Louisiana

Yes courtyard is easily the best in NOLA

20. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (132) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Headed to New Orleans in February. Staying near the French Quarter. Looks like Courtyard is about a mile from our hotel. Any thing new to hit? Any good beer bars close by? Thanks for the suggestions!

21. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Courtyard for sure. Definitely stop by Avenue Pub, best Craft taplist in the city. Also nearby there and worth a stop are Urban South and NOLA Brewing tap rooms.

For bottles, growlers, beer gear, check out 504 Craft Beer Reserve. Really cool place, and you can sip while you shop.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  22. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (62) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

Go check out Parleaux Beer Labs and then hit up The Joint for delicious BBQ. You'll have to drive or take an Uber.

Bfairhurst74 and NolaHopHead like this.
  23. jffrson729

jffrson729 Initiate (71) Mar 6, 2014 Illinois

Anything special going on over st patty’s weekend? I’ll be in the quarter but no vehicle.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Nola, but Planned on making my way over to the aforementioned courtyard and/or avenue pub.

24. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

On 3/17 at Avenue Pub is a Burial/Creature Comforts Golden Feather beer Launch.
    On 3/18 is 504 Craft Beer Reserve's 2nd Anniversary party with food and lots of beer tasting. It'll turn into a big bottle share as it winds down.
    No real beer culture in the quarter, just take a quick uber to the above.
    I haven't checked the schedule yet but I'm sure there'll also be a parade u can catch.

jffrson729 likes this.
  25. jffrson729

jffrson729 Initiate (71) Mar 6, 2014 Illinois

Thanks. I remember it was very slim pickings in the quarter the last few times I was there. Wife’s family owns the TI’s so we spend a lot of time in the quarter to visit them.

The rest of the family doesn’t share my dislike of bud light so they are fine with not venturing out.

Would you expect avenue to be packed for the release? In Friday night and I planned on getting out there sat afternoon for some food and drinks

26. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Not sure what kind of crowd it will pull, but I doubt it will be overly packed. You should be fine. Enjoy!

jffrson729 likes this.
  27. OopSour

OopSour Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2013 California

Headed there this weekend. Sunday is a small beer tour. Looks like we will start at NOLA, then Urban South and finally Courtyard. Is there any reason we can't or shouldn't walk between them headed back to the FQ?

28. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

It's a little bit of a hike, but very doable. Just map it out online so u know just how far. You might want to add Avenue Pub on that walking tour

donspublic likes this.
  29. OopSour

My point was we won't end up MDK. It'll be daytime but NO isn't the safest of cities. We have no issue ubering, I just know nothing of that area.

30. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Should be safe during the day time. But I would likely Uber it. When u are taking an Uber to NOLA from the French Qtr take a look around. If the scenes look sketchy then just play it safe within Ubering.

31. OopSour

Gotcha. I was last in town for Voodoo Fest before Katrina hit. Most of the rest of our group has never been .

32. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (218) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

I will be in NOLA for a couple days and based on this thread, will definitely hit Courtyard. Having said that, any cool place I could eat dinner and enjoy some Parrish beers on tap? I have had DDH Ghost and its easily a top 5 IPA for me.

Thanks

33. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (178) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Envie is all over the city and worth drinking every time. It's so good.
    Bloom is releasing this weekend on tap from what I can tell...bottles have already went out.
    Also SoPro Paradise Lost is great. Along with Jucifer and Holy Roller.

Courtyard was unbelievably packed this weekend...mostly because of spring break I hope. But we used to be able to chill there for hours with no line and many open seats.
    There were no open seats and a constant line of 10-15 people over the course of 3 hours we were there. But they do make good beers.

34. Jay_P22

Thanks. I am staying on Canal street. Definitely want to drink envie, etc. I had that once and loved it. Any cool spots to eat/drink a beer close to where I am staying? I haven't been to NO since I went to Mardi Gras in 98. lol

35. fooman03

fooman03 Initiate (22) May 5, 2015 Arkansas

Was in New Orleans this past weekend. Went straight from the airport to Avenue Pub which was an awesome spot, then we walked over to Courtyard which was well worth it.

Saturday we ended up at Paraleaux Beer Lab, which was also a really good spot. Highly recommend all three of those places.

Jay_P22 likes this.
  36. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana

Don't sleep on Urban South.

37. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (625) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

Useful feed; headed there tomorrow, and will check out these new recs. Last time I spent any measurable time there, Dixie Brewing was one of the few games in town and, uh...well, no offense but.. wasn't that great. Excited about Courtyard and NOLA especially.

38. Jay_P22

Back from New Orleans.

The Courtyard is fantastic. I went the day after their brew fest so I reaped the reward of all that leftover great beer. Their NEIPAs are top notch.

Also visited Peraleaux Beer Labs. Nice outdoor scene. Decent beers.

I ate at the Avenue pub. Solid food and Parish on tap. Plus others. If you guys find yourself out and don’t know what beers to try at random places, NOLA ipas were pretty good. Gnarley Barley had a really good beer I found on draft.

39. F_Amor

F_Amor Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2015 Texas

I second (or third or fourth) Avenue Pub for beer, food, and the beertenders. And it's only about a 6 block walk from Courtyard Brewery (which apparently I need to check out).
    Crescent City Brewing is mostly a tourist trap - not worth a special trip, but you'll probably walk by it on Decatur if you're a tourist.
    Brieux Carre has some interesting brews (including sours) if you're in the Marigny (off Frenchmen).

40. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (164) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll add to the comments suggesting Courtyard and Avenue Pub as good spots. And, as previously noted, within walking distance of each other. It was hot and humid in NOLA this weekend. After walking around Audobon Park, a good portion of Magazine St., and around the Garden District on Friday morning/early afternoon, I was ready for a cold one so we hopped a short Uber to Courtyard. I think we probably could have stayed longer if they had A/C, but I still managed to try two IPAs that were solid and a sour that was just okay. The one downside is that they don't offer tasters, but you can get 1/2 pours of anything on tap. Pretty impressive tap list of both Courtyard and guest beers. Also worth noting it's not a big space indoors, maybe seating for 15-20 people at most. There is outdoor seating but we were trying to get out of the heat.

Then it was less than a 10 minute walk to Avenue Pub for the afternoon to watch some golf and sample other LA beers. They had a number of different LA breweries and styles on tap, which they highlight on their menu. We managed to be there for happy hour so the tab was about half of what I expected to pay. I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat, but there were plenty of people eating around us. The downstairs bar is a decent space with a handful of tv's. There is also an upstairs bar (w/a separate tap list) and balcony.

Also worth noting that there was craft beer to be found in the Quarter - I found some good IPAs on tap walking around on Bourbon St.