Breweries to visit in New Orleans

Discussion in 'South' started by KalbHOMEBREWS, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Pyedog

Pyedog Devotee (423) Jun 7, 2006 Florida
    Premium

Courtyard..'nuff said.

Redrover likes this.
  2. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Initiate (189) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

Ill be here next weekend. Looks like NOLA and Courtyard will be on the top of my list.

3. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Poo-Bah (2,057) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Premium Trader

If you can get out to Parleaux, they have some tasty brews on tap right now. And Pizza Delicious will deliver there when u want some grub.

elemenohpee1 likes this.
  4. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana

Urban South dropping some goodies tomorrow.

5. Dstraktd

Dstraktd Initiate (15) Jul 19, 2018 Louisiana

NOLA brewery has a bevy of good beers. Take your pick.

6. rturkaly

rturkaly Initiate (143) Jan 3, 2010 Pennsylvania

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd jump on this one. I'll be on a business trip to Mississippi (Diamondhead) in a couple weeks, but a co-worker and myself decided to spend the last night in New Orleans, since neither of us have been there before.

I know for sure that I want to stop by Courtyard, Urban South, and the Avenue Pub, which are all relatively close to each other. And maybe even slide a little further south to NOLA Brewing and the Bulldog Uptown. We will only have about 5 hours, so I want to make them count.

My real question concerns Bourbon St/French Quarter area. It seems like there is not much of a beer scene there overall. I'm just wondering as someone that has new been to New Orleans, is this area a must hit? I assume it would be. I guess I could get a Hurricane or Grenade and take a look around. I just wanted to see if this area was an absolute must stop with time being limited. Thanks!!

7. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

I live in NOLA. If you want to make it a beer trip, then stick to your original plan. The French Quarter can be fun no doubt, but almost no beer scene there. If u are spending the night in NOLA then I'd say hit the Quarter late, but if onlyhave 5 hrs hit the uptown beer scene.

MHorridge likes this.
  8. SouthernSips

SouthernSips Initiate (27) Aug 7, 2018 Mississippi
    Trader

The French Quarter is a great place to party or throw down, but not really somewhere to go to just enjoy great beer. There's a lot of culture in that area that can be explored during the day though like art galleries, etc.

If you're going to be travelling there from Diamondhead, I can also point out you'll be passing Lazy Magnolia which is 5 minutes off the interstate in the direction you're already going. They're not my favorite local brewery but they have a pretty sizable following.

Not sure how long you'll be there, but I prefer Chandeleur Island Brewing Company over Lazy Magnolia but it's about 30 minutes east of Diamondhead. Also be sure to look out for any Southern Prohibition stuff in distribution while you're down. They're the top brewery in MS in my opinion but they're about 1.5 hours north of where you'll be.

9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,524) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Or...depending on when you go to NO you could swing by Hammond La, and hit up Gnarly Barley brewing. They have done some pretty legit stuff with NEIPA's. If you don't hit the brewery up, stop into Slidell when you pass thru on your way to NO and stop at the Rouse market closest to the freeway and grab a six pack of Jucifier and Gnarvana if they have it for room/street beers

10. SouthernSips

Trader

Gnarley Barley is good also. Isn't Gnarvana brewery only or did that change? Haven't seen it in Slidell before but would grab some if I did.

11. donspublic

Premium Trader

Not sure, stopped by on my way to florida to grab some Jucifier and they had it in cans, it was nice. Guy told me most of their stuff would be at the Rouse in Slidell, because when I came back thru they weren't going to be open.

12. SouthernSips

Trader

Yeh they've got several I just haven't seen that one. I'll know for sure here in a couple weeks when I swing back through though.

donspublic likes this.
  13. rturkaly

I was hoping to hit Magnolia on Sunday on my way from the airport, but it was closed. I may try to hit it one day after work. I'm staying at a hotel in Gulfport, so I am literally 5 minutes from Chnadeleur Island, which I was planning on going to for sure. Gnarley Barley sounds cool, but it is closed on Sunday. I sure hope they distribute their Jucifer to the bars because I would like to try that. Although it does sound like I can pick up some at Rouses Market.

One more question, even though I leave in 2 days. I get there around 10 on Sunday, so I got all day. My hotel is in Gulfport. So I had 2 possible plans. 1 was to go north from the airport to Mandeville, using what appears to be a toll road/bridge, grab some breakfast, then go to Old Rail and Barley Oak. My second possibility was checking into the hotel, then heading east to Ocean Springs and possibly check out Crooked Letter, The Beer House, and The Cypress taphouse.

Between those 2, any preference? Thanks.

14. donspublic

Premium Trader

Check out Hops and Growlers in Ocean Springs if you get a chance and are looking to kill time.

15. rturkaly

How would you rate hops and growers vs the other 3 places I listed in Ocean Springs? Can probably do only 2 or 3, so I want to figure out what would be the best to eliminate from the list. Thanks!

16. SouthernSips

Trader

I don't believe Jucifer is distributed in MS as I've never seen any Gnarley Barley on the coast. I actually live in Ocean Springs.

I can't vouch for the breweries in Mandeville because I haven't been to any of them. There's really so much to hit in NOLA I wouldn't drive across the bridge and you'd be better served hanging out in NOLA than going to Ocean Springs unless you were just looking to go somewhere different.

As for the 3 you mentioned in Ocean Springs, I'd skip Crooked Letter. Not gonna get into why on here but there's a reason distributors won't carry them. Hops and Growlers makes all their own stuff and is a small operation but they have a pretty big following here. They don't carry much that isn't theirs but it's a cool little spot if you've got an afternoon to kill. I've honestly never heard of Cyprus so I can't say but I'll swing by sometime in the future I guess. The Beer House has a great selection but it's just a bar. It's part of another tapas bar called Mosaics which has good food and great atmosphere (government street in general in Ocean Springs is where a lot of the coast goes for nightlife, it's kind of artsy/boutiquey with bars). That being said if you just want to sit and have great beers in a bar I'd recommend you go to 504 Craft Beer Reserve in NOLA on the way home instead. It's a bottle shop but they've got singles and draft for purchase with an amazing selection and great staff. 504's draft menu is on untappd (but it doesn't cover there large assortment of bottles) and you can see The Beer House's menu through the DigitalPour app.

Like I said, not discounting Mandeville or Ocean Springs, it just depends if you want to check out different cities or if you're looking for hardcore beer tourism.

NolaHopHead likes this.
  17. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

I second the recommendation on 504 Craft Beer Reserve. Great tap selection as well as package and you can buy singles of everything. Courtyard also just tapped some new outstanding NE IPAs. If I only had a few hours to kill I'd hit 504, and Courtyard either before or after.

18. rturkaly

I'm looking forward to Courtyard. I've heard nothing but great things. And now knowing that 504 has beers you can buy individually, I am going there for sure. If I find something interesting, I may have to throw it in my luggage. I just need to find a place to eat lunch and dinner. I think I have it narrowed down to The Avenue Pub for one and the Bulldog Uptown for the other.

NolaHopHead likes this.
  19. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Good call! Another option for lunch is Blue Oak. It's near 504 Craft, best BBQ in the city. And they usually have at least 4 local IPAs on tap, including Jucifer and Ghost. Have a blast.

20. rturkaly

I'm down with some good southern BBQ, and if it's close to 504, that's a win. I got to try this Jucifer. I'm not sure what beer "ghost" is, but if I see it, I will definitely give it a shot. I like my NE style IPA's!

21. NolaHopHead

Premium Trader

Ghost in the Machine by Parish. Generally considered the best DIPA from Louisiana. World Class brew. Some would argue the Courtyard IPAs are just as good, if not better. Shoot me a message when u are at 504 if ya want, there's a chance I'll be there haha. Cheers!

22. rturkaly

Will do. Thanks for the info!

23. donspublic

Premium Trader

I will defer to @SouthernSips as I have only had a few beers from them, and none from the others. The owner is a super nice guy, and I have swapped beers with him a few times. I actually passed thru last year right when his brew pub was opening and scored a growler of his blonde which was really solid. Enjoy yourself