Breweries you're tired of people putting down

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nick0417, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesolationAngel

DesolationAngel Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 New Hampshire

I've seen some poo pooing of Ballast Point that has me a bit confused. Disdain toward Great Lakes is also unwarranted in my opinion. So many great beers from both of them.

2. Justin82

Justin82 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

Gansett is a really underrated brewery. Preach brother

LuskusDelph and Urk1127 like this.
  3. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Dead Guy is good. They can make very good beer, that's why I don't get all the stupid crap they do.

unhyped, twb0392 and Blueribbon666 like this.
  4. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

This is also what I thought of. They've made some terrible choices with some of their limited release beers, but the vast majority of their lineup is solid. It's just that the only beers of theirs that get talked about here are the dumb, gimmicky ones, which makes it sound like all of their beer is pointlessly gimmicky. In reality, it's a fraction of it. And even if they do make gimmicky beer, so what? You don't have to buy it. You could also say the same thing about Dogfish Head; they make some ill-advised experiments, but most of their catalog is pretty great.

5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeah, different threads. But there's no question that there are Dogfish head haters on this site. Been in an argument with at least two of them.

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

Dogfish yeah some of their beers are weird, but I really like a lot of their beers.
    Sam Adams, can never get enough Boston lager.

pjbear05 likes this.
  7. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

For the most part, people don't understand the concept of objectivity. A prime example is Great Lakes (for me). I've never really been able to "get into" the brewery. I've tried many of their offerings but none of them have really done it for me. But my subjective tastes do not change the fact that Great Lakes objectively makes quality beer, at good prices and it's widely available. Just because I don't like something doesn't make it bad, and I wish more people understood that concept. This is the same for Sam Adams aswell. Disappointing to me, but look at the history and the consistency of the product. There is no denying it.

8. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,810) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

Their Amber is also very good.

Billet likes this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,810) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

+1 for Filosofem.

BrewsingBuffalo likes this.
  10. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (675) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

11. RexBanner

RexBanner Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2014 New York

Sam Adams, hands down!

12. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

If it's a brewery who has served beer to more than 10 people there is someone out there who hates on it

13. JLaw55

JLaw55 Meyvn (1,193) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri

I have only had one beer from Smuttynose (their standard IPA), but it was on point. Really great stuff.

Schlafly is one of my favorite breweries. They are close, easy to get fresh, have an awesome history and presence in the St. Louis area, and they make awesome beer. They are very good at making great go to beers of a multitude of different styles. Which is right up my alley. I love craft beer, but I fall somewhere between Macro beer drinkers and the collector/connoisseur/barrel aged everything craft beer drinker. Schlafly really fills the gap between both ends of the spectrum quite well.

14. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

That Oktoberfest was killer for the money, as is Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout IMO. Barely $1.25 a can around here.

15. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

I'm going to add a +1 to Goose Island. I'll admit that I also had gotten tired of them a couple years ago, they didn't seem to be doing much, but in the last year or so, they have really stepped it up:

1. The imperial series: The Muddy was an out of this world stout, awesome packaging, easily available at a reasonable price.
    2. The new Four Star Pils, perhaps I'm just a sucker for overly hopped styles, but I get a lot of the classic German flavors out of it that I really go in for that I think mix well with the hops.
    3. Oktoberfest: I thought it was a great Oktoberfest, I think them brewing it as an ale made it a strong fall beer.
    4. 10 Hills Pale: Simple and honest pale ale which drinks easily. Warning - If you aren't paying close attention, you will realize your glass is empty and you won't know where it would all have drank.

Blah blah blah, bring on the "Budweiser is evil" crowd, I can't wait to hear the anti-AB stories you got from the movie "Beer Wars" 5 years ago. You can argue business practices all day long, but you can do that with many breweries (gasp, do you really want to drink beer from a brewery run by a drug addict like Tony Mcgee of Lagunitas! The man smokes more illegal drugs than Cheech and Chong!) but the current Goose beer is great.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  16. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (431) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Absolutely! Lots of those tools roaming around.

#96 Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    CJNAPS likes this.
  17. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,809) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

It has to be Rogue. I find too many complaints of their prices and quality, yet even my worst personal experiences with Rogue beer would be described as mediocre, and this is coming from someone who enjoys ticking and reviewing new beers from across the spectrum.

But the biggest offender I find are comments which puts down Rogue as a whole over experimental doughnut beer. I have read a tiresome amount of these same comments, and to me, that has become a put down that makes stupid people click "like", and something that supercilious people write.

18. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

I think their Brew Free or Die IPA tastes almost like a mini-barleywine--nice tune up beer if doing a Barleywine tasting.

I have to say New Belgium and Sam Adams. When someone brings FatTire or Boston Lager to an event, I often think "Nice work...its not Natty Ice." While I don't mind either, they don't deserve the bash that often ensues.

19. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (96) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I'm down for a Sam Adams vote also.

Why do so many hate on Rogue in Seattle? I've only had their Porters, so maybe I missing something.

foundersfan1 and creepinjeeper like this.
  20. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

Stone, but then they get a whole lot more love than hate (rightly so).

Green flash for sure. People really got sand in their vaginas complaining about C3 Silva Stout. Nobody's perfect people, and they make a lot of other nice beers

TonyLema1 likes this.
  21. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

people put down great lakes? they're not my favorite but they're definitely solid.

22. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,312) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Ok, I am gonna say it..............Rogue.........Most people hate them, but sometimes they put out some great brews........Double Chocolate Stout, 7 hop IPA................

foundersfan1 and creepinjeeper like this.
  23. Mojo

Mojo Champion (820) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

Exactly!!!! I don't need to wait in line and pay an exorbitant price for some mega-limited barrel aged super high ABV offering to get good beer. All I have to do is go just about anywhere and I can find Sierra Nevada. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Price, availability, and quality. That's everything I need.

24. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (3,299) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Well, it is a decent brown ale, but naming it Salted Caramel Brownie leads one to expect at least SOME of those flavors. So in that sense I found it totally underwhelming and a disappointment.

However, New Belgium in general is awesome! Abbey Ale, Trippel, 1554, La Folie, Le Terroir, all fantastic brews.

25. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,575) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

So one of the key aspects of all these particular breweries is that they are mostly "big craft," any of them get a little non-local and hyper-localist traditionalists start complaining like hipsters losing their most obscure band to the masses. I think that generates the heat.
    The other point is that often some (not all) of these big craft, yes New Belgium and Rogue (for me at least) are among them, lost their focus by just emphasizing volume growth. NB has, for what it's worth, tried hard to return to the joy of their original scale of brewing (Lips of Faith, for example). So, will I drink Fat Tire? No. But Le Terroir? Heck yes.

creepinjeeper and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  26. tillmac62

tillmac62 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina

Most recently Ballast Point, since their buyout.

27. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

28. zid

zid Meyvn (1,239) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I'm not a fan of people putting down a brewery because they are big... and I'm not a fan of people putting down a brewery because they are small.

I hate when people put down a brewery because others are doing the same... because it's the cool thing to do.

creepinjeeper and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  29. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,735) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

Victory.

There was some fuss last year over Dirt Wolf, but generally they don't get enough credit for a core lineup that ranges from solid (HopDevil) to outstanding (StormKing).

30. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,768) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

if only that was the case. Their quality control has been abhorrent lately. Sour Christmas ale (yes, the regular, not the BA), the BA Christmas fiasco, infected Blackout and Winter Fitz, diacetly Dortmunder.

I like Great lakes, but the issue isn't that they make classic beer...when compared to another brewery mentioned in this thread (Goose Island), I see a MAJOR difference. Great Lakes never grew and diversified their lineup. I went to Goose Clyborne and tried like 20 beers I've never heard of. Goose does Sour Sisters, Fulton series, etc. Great Lakes has like 2-3 pub exclusives at a time and no other 'lines'.

31. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

I agree. And they've recently released some great stuff! Definitely stepping up their game.

32. Deleted

Deleted Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 Georgia
    Deactivated

yeah New Belgium doesn't really make bad beer, and I love supporting an employee owned company.

creepinjeeper and foundersfan1 like this.
  33. NizzleEGizzle

NizzleEGizzle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2015 New York

I feel like this may incur the wrath of BAs PC Principals (and Assistant Principals, etc. etc.) but GF branded Alpine: I've had a few of their beers now, and those beers are pretty damn awesome. Yes we can complain about price and poorly run buyouts and changes to the brews, but I wish more people could separate the consideration of taste/quality from beer politics.

And with this particular brewery, maybe swap in "putting down" for "taking a dump on."

Shroud0fdoom and foundersfan1 like this.
  34. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

Really, any brewery that's been bought out since their buyout. I rarely heard a single negative thing about Laguinitas before they were sold, but now everyone's talking about how they never liked their beer anyway. It's like a switch was flipped.

35. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

to the Other Half haters.... SILENCE!!!

36. jcos

jcos Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I'm pretty sure if all these companies only catered to the "whalez bro only" crowd they would be out of business.

Great Lakes is one of the few larger craft breweries who always have multiple lagers as part of their regular lineup, and to me that makes them one of the few options for "one brewery for life". Also, their beers are not hard to find for the most part which is a plus to me. They even make some brewery only small releases too, for those who really just LOVE waiting in line to buy beer.

Oh and looking over their seasonal lineup...I can't wait for Rye of The Tiger to be released again in the spring!

37. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

While I agree that Schlafly is great, but I don't think they get put down a lot. I'd put Schlafly on the same level as Sierra Nevada. They both make great beers and rarely if ever miss. IMO Schlafly makes some of the most solid true to style beer around. They don't have a lot of highly coveted beers, but for people in the Midwest Schlafly is one of the best "go to" breweries.

38. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Sam Adams; they make good beer even if they have grown big.

39. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,201) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

For starters I love Great Lakes ! Also, I have much appreciation for Sam Adams.

Not neccessarialy put down or disrespected but Ommegang as well as Smuttynose are just flat underappreciated !!!

40. jcos

jcos Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Ballast Point got 1 BILLION dollars. If the people who benefited from that really wanted to, I'm sure they have enough startup money to make another brewery once they were legally allowed to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.