Brewers Association Announces Top 50 Brewing Companies by Sales Volume of 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,044) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Boulder, Colo. • April 1, 2020 — The Brewers Association—the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers—today released its annual list of the top 50 producing craft brewing companies and overall brewing companies in the U.S., based on beer sales volume. Of the top 50 overall brewing companies, 40 were small and independent craft brewing companies1.

“Although 2020 will be a markedly different year than 2019 for the craft brewing market, these companies are well positioned to help the craft category weather the current market uncertainty and rebound with the flavor, variety, and innovation that beer lovers have come to expect from small brewers,” said Bart Watson, chief economist, Brewers Association.

View and download map of top 50 producing craft brewing companies.

Top 50 Craft Brewing Companies

[​IMG]
    A State of the Industry report will be presented via webinar in mid-April. The Brewers Association’s full 2019 industry analysis, which shows regional trends and sales by individual breweries, will be published in the May/June issue of The New Brewer®, available in May 2020.

1 Figure based on companies that met the craft brewer definition for all or part of 2019. An American craft brewer is a small and independent brewer. Small: annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less (approximately 3% of U.S. annual sales). Beer production is attributed to the rules of alternating proprietorships. Independent: less than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by an alcoholic beverage industry member that is not itself a craft brewer. Brewer: has a TTB brewer’s notice and makes beer.

###

For more, including the Top 50 Overall Brewing Companies, visit: https://www.brewersassociation.org/...50-brewing-companies-by-sales-volume-of-2019/

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, officerbill and 2 others like this.
  2. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,225) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Still BS Yuengling and Boston Beer are in there, but the BA need the influence and money. I get it.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,937) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

A handful of breweries I did not realize were that big, like Rhinegeist.

4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (158) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Almost feels like special interest lobbying.

ChicagoJ, waltari and mig100 like this.
  5. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (648) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

According to the Brewers Association Yuengling is that small? I never would have guessed that.
    No Brewery from NC made the list, well, unless you count SN, it always seems as if Chico gets all the credit.

ChicagoJ and JuliusPepperwood like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,542) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It does not 'feel' that way to me.

Instead it 'feels' like the Brewers Association wants Craft Brewing to be a more significant part of the overall Beer Industry. This makes the Brewers Association viewed as being more relevant.

Cheers!

7. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,530) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Not sure why Rogue is still around. Or how. See very little of them any more.

eppCOS likes this.
  8. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (158) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

The Brewers Association or Jim Koch? I think I heard he was rather vocal about BBC's inclusion despite their size and he headed the change that allowed them to redefine those terms. Isn't Jim a board member?

9. beerrat

beerrat Crusader (726) Nov 28, 2013 Virginia
    Society Trader

This list Is how many barrels they sold not how good the beer is.

10. JackHorzempa

Society

11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

He has been, but not now

ChicagoJ and jesskidden like this.
  12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,009) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, the previous year (2018) Yuengling brewed 2.66M barrels - the two "Large" US brewing companies left in the US brewed over 20 / 33 times as much (MC = 50M+4.5M [Pabst] bbl / AB = 87.2 bbl). So, is Yuengling "Large"?

For the record, BBC actual total alcoholic beverage production (beer + seltzer, cider, tea, FMBs) of over 4 million barrels a year makes them larger than Yuengling, but the Brewers Association doesn't count the non-beer barrelage.

Most reports during '19 had Yuengling's down single digits and BBC up, based on Truly.

In other words, it's based on Fact (barrelage) not Opinion.:grin:

#12 jesskidden, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  13. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,808) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am still astounded by how much beer New Glarus sells in one state. Love their beer and their strategy.

Immortale25, ChicagoJ, smbslt and 6 others like this.
  14. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,655) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Or beer-runners who cross the state lines.

Not that I know anything about that... :smirk:

15. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (510) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Or Matt's at 16

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,376) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm shocked to see full sail on the list. They appear to have completely disappeared around here (only about an hour from the Oregon border) and the last few times I've been up to Oregon I didn't notice their stuff on the shelf. Where are they selling all this beer?

ChicagoJ and BruChef like this.
  17. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,484) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The standout to me is Brooklyn Brewery almost cracking the top 10. They almost disappeared from the shelves around here and I believe they are doing a lot of sales overseas and succeeding where others have failed.

ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  18. beerrat

beerrat Crusader (726) Nov 28, 2013 Virginia
    Society Trader

I what I understand but could be how much free beer is given to the board who makes the list.

19. JackHorzempa

Society

Good observation.

According to the below linked article:

“…almost half of Brooklyn Brewery’s revenue comes from overseas sales.”

https://growlermag.com/brew-local-e...ies-test-the-waters-in-international-markets/

This would appear to be a wise business plan for Brooklyn; how to increase sales despite a very competitive domestic beer market.

Cheers!

20. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (319) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

It helps to have an agreement with Carlsberg Group rather than going through a normal importer. It gets them access to tied houses in the on-trade which acts as marketing for the off-trade. Compare that to simply importing the beer and putting it on shelves and hoping that people notice your beer and pick it up, without any marketing.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Traditionally, US-brewed beer exported (thus paying no State or Federal Excise Tax) was not counted by industry publications as part of a brewer's sales or barrelage but, yeah, the Brewers Association's fine print is pretty vague about that. See for example Brewery Production CY 2019

Not quite sure what you are trying to say - that brewers "bribe" B.A. officials with free beer to lie about the barrelage/total sales? Probably not a good idea since the state and Federal government expect brewers to pay excise tax on every barrel they brew, minus returns. Not sure, either, how much "promotion" being the #12 Craft Brewery is really worth, that a company would lie about.

22. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (510) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

If you want to count Sierra Nevada (I don't have a problem with counting them) remember that New Belgium also brews here in NC. Now if we could just get SN to brew some Porter for us:slight_smile:

23. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (648) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

A SN Porter is very reasonable request!
    You'd think they'd be doing that anyway!

24. BeerGeekExtraordinaire

BeerGeekExtraordinaire Initiate (33) Mar 6, 2020 Illinois

Love their beer, I just wish it was easier to get. I have to wait until I am passing through the state to pick up some.

ChicagoJ and DIM like this.
  25. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (465) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Does anyone know what the newest brewery on that list is? Those I recognize are all old timers and it'd be interesting to know who the youngest brewer able to crack the top 50 is. It'd also be interesting to see if even the youngest ain't so young.

ChicagoJ and pjeagles like this.
  26. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Rheingeist would be my guess. I could be wrong.

ChicagoJ and meefmoff like this.
  27. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (465) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, impressive. Opened mid 2013 and #26. I was guessing there was nothing newer than 2010 at best.

Thx.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (455) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

They do, I just saw 6 packs on the shelf a few weeks ago.

29. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (429) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Being in the ONE State, I am also amazed.
    NG brews quality beers that are very approachable yet create some amazing, one of a kind beers in their Fingerprint series.
    Still amazing numbers considering their distro area.

DIM likes this.
  30. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,009) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Why Boston Beer? I agree about Yuengling.

31. jesskidden

Society Trader

But they don't brew the Porter in their North Carolina facility (which I took to be what JimKal was saying) - even at the brewery the Stout and the Porter sold there is brewed in Chico, at least that was the case last year when I toured the brewery and asked about, and bought, those beers.

ChicagoJ, dennis3951 and JimKal like this.
  32. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,258) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Steven's point brewery at 20 suprised me. Good to see revolution at 40.

ChicagoJ likes this.