Brewers Association Launches "This Is Indie Beer" Campaign

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Just saw this new campaign from the Brewers Association that leans into "indie beer," which aligns with their Independent Craft Brewers Seal that was launched in June 2017.

What does "indie" mean? It's part of their definition of "craft brewer:"

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics-and-data/craft-brewer-definition/
    • Small: Annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less (approximately 3 percent of U.S. annual sales). Beer production is attributed to a brewer according to the rules of alternating proprietorships.
    • Independent: Less than 25 percent of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by a beverage alcohol industry member which is not itself a craft brewer.
    • Brewer: Has a TTB Brewer’s Notice and makes beer.
    ###

From: https://www.brewersassociation.org/...ciation-launches-this-is-indie-beer-campaign/

This week, the Brewers Association launched a new campaign promoting independence and the independent craft brewer seal entitled “This Is Indie Beer.”

A follow-up to our “Local Beer is Better” campaign, the goal of “This Is Indie Beer” is to tell the stories and show the faces behind independent craft brewers and to drive awareness of the independent craft brewer seal.

“Indie beer has had a meteoric impact on American culture. Neighborhood breweries are expanding flavor profiles, unearthing novel ingredients, pushing production methods, reimagining physical spaces, and deepening community connections. Because of indie brewers, beer simply is not what it used to be — it’s more.

The campaign rolls out with seven initial breweries of different types and sizes from across the country, with more to be added in the coming months.

A national ad campaign will be running on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, YouTube, and Tinder. All the ads will point to ThisIsIndieBeer.com, where visitors can use the “Is It Indie?” brewery finder to determine if their favorite breweries are independent. Beer lovers can also link through to read about the initial featured breweries. For breweries wanting to jump in on the campaign, we have a fun and free, easy-to-use asset toolkit for breweries to use and add their own stories on their social channels.

This campaign will run through the end of the year.

###

BigIronH, Rug, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  2. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

yippeee...

pffft...

Until they make their definition of "independent" actually MEAN independent, as opposed to "not BMC", (to use an out-of-date acronym), then... pffft.

CBlack85, Jaycase, jasonmason and 5 others like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

What I'd really like to see is an "Is It AB-InBev?" brewery finder. Or maybe an app. That's really the only ownership criterion I give a damn about.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  4. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

This criteria eliminates quite a few “larger” craft breweries that aren’t BMC. I think the other qualifiers are strict enough as well. What would your criteria for “Independent” consist of? Cheers.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Funny, I was just reading Sierra Nevada's website the other day and they have a blog post https://sierranevada.com/blog/what-is-craft-beer/ and it appears the oldest and largest craft brewer does not understand the B.A.'s definition.
    Uh, yes you can according to the B.A., since a PE firm isn't "a beverage alcohol industry member."

What do you mean? Larger breweries like Bell's, New Belgium and Anchor, that are now owned by non-craft brewing companies? By definition, they are no longer "Craft" according to the B.A.

But if a craft brewer buys another craft brewery (say BBC buying Dogfish Head), they both remain "craft" - since they are not "a beverage alcohol industry member which is not itself a craft brewer."

Really? This one, which used to define "craft" based on adjunct usage: Brewer: Has a TTB Brewer’s Notice and makes beer. :rolling_eyes:

So, Hostess Cupcakes and General Motors can never be a Craft Brewer. They could buy one and have it remain a craft brewer, though, since they are not "a beverage alcohol industry member.

Jaycase, dcotom, Foyle and 1 other person like this.
  6. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,030) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Who cares!

Buy what you can afford, Drink what you like.

At this point in my life I don’t really care who makes my beer as long as it’s affordable. Heineken keeps putting out Willetized for $12.99 a pack I’m still buying, Bells parent keeps putting out stellar stouts, I’m buying.

I do take note of D-bags and won’t touch their beer if I know about them. I can’t research every brewery though.

Enjoy

Drowning my sorrows tonight with High Life and the Replacements.

Rug and rodbeermunch like this.
  7. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Simple (opens dictionary):
    1): not subject to control by others
    (2): not affiliated with a larger controlling unit

jasonmason, Harrison8 and Todd like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yup. Herding 9,000 kittens has to be difficult. IMHO, it's time for the BA to tightly narrow their focus.

Yup, people like money.

Harrison8 likes this.
  9. o29

o29 Devotee (450) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

You’ve got that right!

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. CBlack85

CBlack85 Savant (968) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

is this the next iteration of the "I am a craft brewer" thing?

o29 likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe they could still use that ad but dub it to “I am an Indie Brewer”?

Of course, some of those folks in that video would need to be edited out since they are no longer considered to be “craft” or “indie”.

Cheers!

o29 likes this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,155) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

So is the brewers association targeting new beer drinkers with this campaign? Are they targeting current beer drinkers? It's nice promotional stuff for the breweries featured, but just like the upside down bottle logo, I struggle to understand who the demographic is that is so interested in this particular criteria that it justifies the expense of these campaigns.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (7,293) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

I'm sometimes a fan of bigger is better.

I think it would be wild to go back in time and tell my 90s self that barrel aged beers from Founders, Bells, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Ballast Point, Goose Island etc. . .would all be available 365 days a year at gas stations and grocery stores in rural Northern Nevada.

I'd be all like "yeah right old man, neat fantasy, now grab me a Bert Grant's IPA while you're up."

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Don't forget to wear you high waist pants:

[​IMG]

rodbeermunch likes this.
  15. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Uh? Apparently you care.

There’s just various definitions for douche bag.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,155) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

A label I would be interested in is one that identified Brewer owned breweries.

Rug and Jaycase like this.