Brewers Association Lays Off Julia Herz, Gary Glass, Acacia Coast, and Other Key Staff

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

On April 27, the Brewers Association announced the lay off nearly a quarter of their staff. Now there are reports of another round of lay offs and I'm absolutely shocked that Julia Herz is amongst those who were let go. She was their craft beer program director and many considered her the face of the Brewers Association.

Source: https://www.westword.com/restaurant...ff-julia-herz-the-face-of-craft-beer-11733591

On a personal note, Julia was BeerAdvocate's number one fan at the Brewers Association and she's one of the strongest voices for independent craft brewers that you'll ever run into. It'll be a major win for whoever hires her next and I hope to work with her again.

Word is that nine key staff members were laid off in this round, including Gary Glass, director of the American Homebrewers Association who had been with the Brewers Association for 20 years, Acacia Coast, formerly the Brewers Association's state brewers guilds manager, and Kathryn Porter Drapeau, former associate event director with 19 years at the association.

The Brewers Association generates most of its revenue from membership fees and events. Many brewers are obviously struggling, the Craft Brewers Conference and World Beer Cup were cancelled this year (there's speculation that 2021 could be virtual), Savor was cancelled, Homebrew Con is virtual, and the Great American Beer Festival is virtual. Collectively, it's a massive financial loss and I don't see them making it up anytime soon.
    Source: https://www.brewbound.com/news/brew...ditional-17-of-workforce-including-julia-herz

2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I sat next to her judging beer at the Grand Rapids NHC,sad to hear this.

ChicagoJ and JuliaLauren like this.
  3. RobH

RobH Disciple (353) Sep 23, 2006 Maryland

Yes, quite a surprise and all-around sad news!

4. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Oh, also Gary Glass, director of the American Homebrewer Association.

Crap, Gary was a great representative of Homebrewing.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Whoa! So who is now in charge of the AHA?:confused:

Cheers!

ChicagoJ and officerbill like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

Society

No idea.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Jeff, needless to say but these are crazy times.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

JuliaLauren likes this.
  8. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (504) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I understand the need to let some people go, but cutting the craft-beer program director, especially an effective and popular one, seems like an odd choice for an organization who states:

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sadly with the economy and this virus this was bound to happen, their revenue stream is all but gone. With everything going on I doubt we will see any large gatherings for another year.
    Stay safe.

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'd imagine that most of their working budget is financed by Brewers Association membership annual dues (@hopfenunmaltz ?) :
    [​IMG]
    How would the economy/COVID reduce their income from member dues - assuming that the barrelage is based on last year's stats? Unless some BA members are simply not renewing their membership?

pudgym29 and officerbill like this.
  11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am basing my assumption off the fact they are laying the people off. If they indeed had sufficient revenue coming in per the memberships then it would not support all these people being let go. Their revenue is from events and memberships. I would guess breweries in a bad spot would cut most non-necessary costs first and this would probably be one of them.

In looking at the current situation going on I am very doubtful we will see any events happening for a year. Also, I am sure they looked at their books with regards to memberships and assigned a % to those they think will not renew and came up with a revised budget.

Anyway, its all speculation unless we are directly involved with them and know what happened.

Cheers

12. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Events make up 70% of their revenue. The big one is CBC. GABF, HomebrewCon, Saveur (sp), and WBC this year did not happen.

waltari, officerbill and jesskidden like this.
  13. JuliaLauren

JuliaLauren Initiate (102) Jul 28, 2007 Colorado

It was such a fun flight to judge. Cheers.

hopfenunmaltz and Todd like this.
  14. JuliaLauren

JuliaLauren Initiate (102) Jul 28, 2007 Colorado

Todd, You, @Jason, @Cfahooligan, @BenAdvocate, @Britt and the entire BeerAdvocate team have built something truly special that has advanced beer appreciation and ‘respect’ in so many ways. I will expect to have many more beers with you in the future. The HUGE news is that will now actually will once again rate beers and will proudly use BeerAdvocate as my platform.

I can ever be of service to you and the amazing BeerAdvocate society let me know. Herzmuses@gmail.com.

ChicagoJ, frozyn, guinness77 and 3 others like this.
  15. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Looking forward to it! :beers:
    :heart_eyes:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,383) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

There is a petition circulating created by 25 state brewers guild executive directors questioning these cuts addressed to Brewers Association CEO Bob Pease and the BA’s board of directors.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...ociation-to-reinstate-national-guilds-manager

[​IMG]

One twitter reaction sums it up consensus opinion to these "changes" succinctly.

https://twitter.com/ArtifactBret/status/1279135504076808192

CEO Bob Pease earned $341,950 in compensation in 2018. "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" You. "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" You so much @BobPease

You've become what independent beer was supposed to be against. Should we also mention their unwillingness to stand up against racist brewery owners/members?