Brewers Association Releases the Top 50 American Brewing Companies by Sales Volume for 2020

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,643) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Boulder, Colo. • March 30, 2021 — The Brewers Association—the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers—today released its annual list of the top 50 producing craft brewing companies and overall brewing companies in the U.S., based on beer sales volume. Of the top 50 overall brewing companies, 40 were small and independent craft brewing companies.*

“The COVID-19 pandemic drastically changed where Americans purchased alcohol in 2020. Breweries who had established packaging and distribution capacity were best positioned to take advantage of the boom in off-premise sales and weather market uncertainty,” said Bart Watson, chief economist, Brewers Association. “These businesses also saw variation in performance based on geography and business model, with different parts of the country seeing very different beer trends, and draught-heavy breweries suffering.”

[​IMG]
    View and download map of top 50 producing craft brewing companies.

A comprehensive State of the Industry report will be presented via online webinar on April 8, 2021.

The Brewers Association’s full 2020 industry analysis, which shows regional trends and sales by individual breweries, will be published in the May/June issue of The New Brewer®, available in May 2021.

* FIGURE BASED ON COMPANIES THAT MET THE CRAFT BREWER DEFINITION FOR ALL OR PART OF 2020. AN AMERICAN CRAFT BREWER IS A SMALL AND INDEPENDENT BREWER. SMALL: ANNUAL PRODUCTION OF 6 MILLION BARRELS OF BEER OR LESS (APPROXIMATELY 3 PERCENT OF U.S. ANNUAL SALES). BEER PRODUCTION IS ATTRIBUTED TO THE RULES OF ALTERNATING PROPRIETORSHIPS. INDEPENDENT: LESS THAN 25 PERCENT OF THE CRAFT BREWERY IS OWNED OR CONTROLLED (OR EQUIVALENT ECONOMIC INTEREST) BY AN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE INDUSTRY MEMBER THAT IS NOT ITSELF A CRAFT BREWER. BREWER: HAS A TTB BREWER’S NOTICE AND MAKES BEER.

View a list of brands included under the companies in the overall brewing category.

###

More: https://www.brewersassociation.org/...0-brewing-companies-by-sales-volume-for-2020/

2. cid71

cid71 Initiate (143) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

every year there seems to be a surprise for me on this list, this year its Montauk Brewing, literally no idea who they are and im not that far away from them

ChicagoJ and bret27 like this.
  3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,423) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Funny that they list Kings & Convicts in Pleasant Prairie, WI. I don't think that space has even opened, and their main location is Highwood, IL.

Even more crazy that they're now a Top 50.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  4. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,809) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

It’s there a list of which breweries/brands that correspond to the respective brewing. I ask because Duvel Moorgat is listed in Paso Robles, CA. I have been to Paso Robles and that is where Barrel House Brewing and Firestone Walker Brewing are located (I visited both). But I don’t remember Duvel being there. Was one, or both, of the breweries bought out by Duvel Moorgat.
    ps-Same with Downingtown, PA (I have been there to visit Victory).

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,440) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Damn, Fifco USA (Genesee, US Labatt, Magic Hat) passed BBC (but only on the B.A. list, most likely - since they don't count Boston's seltzer, cider or FMBs). The B.A. also leaves off Mark Anthony Brands (White Claw & Mike's), which IIRC is expected wind up up at #5, ahead of Pabst.

They recently bought Wachusett Brewing Co. (#43 last year), which had been doing contract brewing for them, IIRC. It's owned by the former owner of Woodchuck Cider.

Yeah, it seems the B.A. lists the company's home city rather than their brewery's location(s). Note that Boston Beer is listed under Boston and DFH's city, but their largest breweries are in PA and OH. But it does get confusing, esp. when they list the importer's home town, like Constellation, Diageo, Sapporo, etc.

It's linked to in Todd's post -
    Duvel bought Firestone Walker in 2015

#5 jesskidden, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    ChicagoJ, pudgym29, Jaycase and 4 others like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,478) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yes, Firestone Walker is owned by Duvel Moorgat. And for completeness Duvel Moorgat also owns other breweries (e.g., Boulevard, Ommegang).
    Victory is owned by ABV.

Cheers!

VABA likes this.
  7. jmk

jmk Initiate (110) May 8, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

What is amazing to me is that New Glarus is 12/21 on those lists. It's one location and distributes to only its home state. Wow. Is any other brewery on the list similarly situated?

8. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (979) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I did a double take when I saw Inglewood,CA as #6. Which turns out to be Three Weavers, which is a fairly small brewery.

Turns out Three Weavers is part of?, owned by?, associated with ? CANArchy "Craft Brewery Collective", which seems to be #6.

Learn something new everyday.

9. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,743) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Help me out. Do you know why they'd even including Diageo (for example) as #6 by volume on a "Top U.S. Brewing Companies" list? You'd think the BA could paint a picture that "craft" has a bigger piece of the pie by excluding companies like that.

Bitterbill, VABA and steveh like this.
  10. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,809) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of all the different takeovers.

ps-and thanks for pointing out the link @jesskidden, I did not catch that.

pps - weird that Canarchy is not in that link, because they list a Comstock, MI location, so I thought Bell’s was owned by them, but when I did an internet search it was Perrin Brewing (as well as Cigar city & Oskar Blues).

#10 VABA, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Bitterbill likes this.
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, some industry sources these days just list the joint brewers/importers list as "Suppliers" and I guess they are combined because the two last "Big" US brewers (AB and MC) also act as importers but, maybe more importantly, the two big importers, Heineken and Constellation, these days account for such a large percentage of total US beer sales - just about 14% for the previous year(2019) and, like Diageo, they also have US breweries.

It'd be pretty hard for them to untangle it, I suppose - subtract the imported beer from the domestic beer for individual US companies - altho', they do do it by not counting craft brewers' seltzers, I guess.

I was just reading that some industry analysts think seltzers might soon make up 20% of "Beer" sales in the US, beating both Imports and Craft after only a few years on the market, compared to the 40-50 years of craft and imports (the latter of which were under 1% of the market into the 1960s, so relatively insignificant).

Confusingly, the B.A. says they count the exported barrelage from at least one "Craft" brewer, Minhas. Typically that never was done for US brewers totals.

(Me, I can't keep straight which of the big 3 Japanese brewers owns which US and Canada small breweries...)

12. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,743) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, but looking at it from a different angle - they've bothered to create their own definition of a "craft brewer" that they use in these lists, so one would think that they could create their own definition of a "U.S. brewing company" that excludes multinationals that weren't formed here, aren't headquartered here, or don't produce a majority of their beer here. But then that muddies the waters with how they are treating companies like Duvel Moortgat, so I guess it ultimately goes against their interests. I know it's also more complicated than I'm imagining.

pudgym29 likes this.
  13. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, they do separate "Imported Beer" into it's own segment, they just don't break it down by company.

[​IMG]

And Fifco USA (how big is the parent company, Florida Ice and Farm, after all?) and Pabst (which has been well under 6M bbl/yr for a couple of years now, but is still considered "Big" in the B.A.'s lists).

pudgym29, Bitterbill and zid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.