Brewers Association: Top 50 Brewing Companies By Sales Volume for 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by MikeWard, Mar 17, 2018.

1. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,556) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Premium

http://www.brewersassociation.org/p...017-top-50-brewing-companies-by-sales-volume/

Saw an article on this on the front page of yesterdays Pottsville Republican newspaper. I know it's only by sales volume, and Yuengling meets the Brewers Association criteria as "craft", but as had been said in multiple threads, boy do we need a word other than craft....

On a related note, lower on the list is CANarchy. I'd never heard of this, just figured it was an enterprise by Mr. Woody Chandler lol.

Cheers!

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,208) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I wish they would state the barrelage of the breweries that would be interesting.

elgiacomo, MikeWard and Bitterbill like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,002) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

So BBC is a "craft brewery" and Founders isn't?

Zorro likes this.
  5. dennis3951

yes

6. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (83) Mar 10, 2018 New York

It does seem as though the designation should be based on the actual product and brewing methods... not the ownership structure (which seems to have always been rather complex in the history of the brewing industry).

---

I must say I have respect for, and a strong fascination with, those long-standing 'regional' brewing companies, like Yuengling, who have remained in business and stayed independent all these decades, or even a century or more. Especially those like Matt's or Shiner, who have more or less re-invented themselves in this modern craft beer era.

7. dcotom

Premium Trader

Thanks for clarifying that.

jesskidden likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,713) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I spoke to the head brewer of Yuengling a couple of weeks ago at a German beer festival in Philly. He informed me that in a few months they will be coming out with a new Pilsner beer - all malt and featuring German hops. I look forward to drinking this beer.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

9. JackHorzempa

Premium

Every time this list comes out I am continually impressed on how well New Glarus performs. They solely distribute within their home state of Wisconsin and yet they are number 16.

Cheers to the home state brewery of New Glarus!

P.S. The power of the drink local movement!!

dcw6363, FBarber, Billet and 5 others like this.
  10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,339) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Who's the head brewer now?

FBarber likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,344) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Well, the Spoetzl Brewery (brewer of the Shiner brand) while "craft" according to the B.A., doesn't really fit that criteria of "independent all these decades" - the brewery was purchased by Carlos Alvarez's Gambrinus Co. in 1989, which was then one of two US importers of Corona (already the #2 import at the time) and the other Modelo brands, covering Texas and the Eastern US. They lost the contract in 2006. Alvarez had previously worked for Grupo Modelo, and his father owned a Modelo distributorship in Mexico.

#11 jesskidden, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  12. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (272) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Wow, I didn't realize they were that big, or that their distribution was that limited. I agree that is pretty freakin cool, and it occurs to me that it's probably a really good way to sustain a business over the long term.

meefmoff and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Premium

Jim, his name is John Callahan and more precisely he is in charge of brewing operations for the PA breweries. He was manning the Yuengling booth at Philly Bierfest and I spoke to him for 15-20 minutes, He is a great guy.

Did you visit the Yuengling booth?

Cheers!

14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,302) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

And Schell’s. They were 20 miles from us when we lived in Minnesota, so access to their stuff was easy. And their “branding” reminds me a LOT of New Glarus.

FBarber and JackHorzempa like this.
  15. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,340) Dec 25, 2003 California

No Firestone-Walker?

16. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,034) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

What that listing by mere rank doesn't show is the huge, gargantuan drop off in volume that occurs between #1 and #5 on the overall list.

MikeWard likes this.
  17. MNAle

They tried that once...

18. jesskidden

Well, the IRI doesn't use the Brewers Association definition and their Top 6 "Craft Beers" list (mid-2016) looked like this:
    [​IMG]

#18 jesskidden, Mar 17, 2018
    HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  19. dennis3951

That is why it would be nice to list the barrelage!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (673) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Awesome. Just hope it does not have that "Yuengling" taste all the other beers have. I really like the IPL and wheat but they all scream Yuengling in the taste.

Price wise I'm thinking $24-26 a case

Enjoy

Edit.....just looked on the web site and IPL and Wheat are no longer listed. Boo!

#20 Giantspace, Mar 17, 2018
  21. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

To make it clear, they are lumped in with Ommegang and Boulevard under Duvel Moortgat. The cities are a clue provided by @jesskidden .

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. MNAle

When back awhile ago we used to have posts on this site criticizing Blue Moon as a "failure", I would point out that if it was considered a craft beer, it would be #1, and that is hardly a "failure" to my way of thinking.

23. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (467) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Ah, but will they put it in those horrible green bottles?

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  24. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (496) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Would be cool to see production of their own brands vs contracting as well. I imagine there are many on here that would drop if ranked solely by their own brands.

AlcahueteJ, dcotom and dennis3951 like this.
  25. jesskidden

That's typically not how it works in the US brewing industry - the beer contract-brewed for other licensed brewing companies is listed under the selling brewer, not the contractor brewery. That's how Pabst, which owns no breweries, can be listed at #5 with a barrelage of around 5 million or why Brooklyn is ahead of F X Matt, even though a good portion of their beer is brewed by Matt. And it is why Narragansett can be listed so high, closing in on 100k bbl, while most of that beer is obviously brewed at NAB's Genesee.

The annual May-June issue of THE NEW BREWER (which is where one gets the actual barrelage stats, after forking over the $15 --- plus postage! :grimacing:) even has a list of CONTRACT CRAFT BREWING COMPANIES w/annual barrelage.

#25 jesskidden, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  26. jesskidden

If they do, just buy the cans:
    [​IMG]
    but it looks like they're going with the brown bottles they use for Yuengling Premium, Porter, Black & Tan...
    [​IMG]

27. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,310) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I didn't realize it existed either. https://www.canarchy.beer/

"The portfolio of craft breweries, partially funded by Fireman Capital Partners, including Oskar Blues Brewery, Perrin Brewing Company, Cigar City Brewing, Squatters Craft Beer and Wasatch Brewery"

AlcahueteJ, MikeWard and Bitterbill like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Premium

Probably.:slight_frown:

The aspect of green bottles was an extended topic of conversation between the Yuengling head brewer and me. The good news: John is a BIG non-fan of green bottles. The bad news: John basically has zero say here; it is a Marketing & Sales decision to package in green bottles.

Cheers!

29. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (551) Dec 12, 2014 California

Why BBC wouldn't?

dennis3951 likes this.
  30. MNAle

For a large segment of the beer drinking public, green bottles have become associated with premium European lagers.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the resulting skunkiness is a taste that many in this market associate with such beer.

Blame Heineken, for one.

steveh likes this.
  31. dcotom

Premium Trader

Not saying they shouldn't be so classified. I was just trying to figure out why Founders wouldn't be. That question has been answered.

And I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Minhas is considered "craft" and Founders isn't.

Tracker83, eldoctorador and MikeWard like this.
  32. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (496) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Interesting, with Stevens Point and Minhas so high I assumed it had to include their contract production.

33. jesskidden

Well, in the case of Minhas (as noted in the Footnotes pdf):
    ...which can be assumed to be their own brands they ship to their Canadian parent company.

Things are kinda screwed up these days with so many International breweries owning US subsidiary breweries, so that the barrelage of company like Heineken, Constellation, Diageo, NAB and Sapporo/Sleeman includes both domestic and imported beer - in the case of the latter, like Minhas, it includes their "export volume" (I guess stuff they have brewed by City and shipped into Canada?).

MikeWard likes this.
  34. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (551) Dec 12, 2014 California

having lived in Wisconsin I don't understand how Stevens Point is #23. It seems a much smaller company. What am I missing?

35. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,313) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That taste is probably the house yeast. I find that in a lot of breweries, the yeast they use gives their beers a distinct flavor on the back end. Brooklyn is one of them, very distinct flavor in a lot of their beers.

36. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Aspirant (210) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri
    Industry

Production volumes and a list of all reporting breweries will be shared in an upcoming edition of The New Brewer. That's how it's always been done in the past.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  37. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (212) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

"Independently" owned is not the same as "craft". Yuengling is a joke! They make nothing but awful, mass produced swill. Same goes for Abita and Shipyard, but they're not nearly as bad.

38. riegler

riegler Initiate (77) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Finding New Glarus in Wisconsin is about as easy as finding Bud Light. It's in every mom and pop store, gas station, bar, restaurant, bottle shop, and grocery store. From the big cities to the north woods and every where in between!

MikeWard likes this.
  39. MNAle

The BA begs to differ! :grin:

One thing to keep in mind... the BA has never tried to define "craft beer." They only define "craft brewer."

They are primarily a trade association for small brewers. They have defined "small" as below 6 million barrels annual production. (How close is Pabst to being under this limit?)

Their definition is primarily to identify who they represent in their role as a trade association. There is no doubt that Yuengling has a lot more in common with Surly and Three Floyds than they do with AB-Inbev or MC in issues that a trade association would deal with - tax laws, distribution laws, other regulations, etc., etc.

The BA has attempted in the past to "refine" the definition of "craft brewer" to encompass more than independence and size, but has generally failed miserably. The last time they tried, they had to publicly retreat after being shamed by an open letter from Jace Marti.

meefmoff, drtth and DISKORD like this.
  40. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,310) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Yuengling's market is not beer nerds. The target for the Traditional Lager is those that want a more flavorful beer than Bud, but for the same price. They are a staple in PA, and in many neighborhood watering holes its the best available beer on tap.

Their Porter isn't the best, but if I had to buy a case of beer for less than $25, it'd be my choice. It's the only "craft beer" around here that's cheaper than Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada.

drtth likes this.