Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil Recirc Pump Mod Recs

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by NGennaroL777, Nov 28, 2018.

1. NGennaroL777

NGennaroL777 Initiate (93) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey all!

I just purchased a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil for Cyber Monday & was wondering if anyone had any specific (pref. on the cheaper side) recirculation arm-pump modifications, preferably from parts I could purchase on Amazon?

Links to everything I need would be a PHENOMENAL help. Thanks!

2. JayDubTrub

JayDubTrub Initiate (59) Feb 17, 2017 California

I use the M&B and, frustrated with low extraction efficiency, bought one of those small solar pumps off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A015-Heater-Circulation-Adapter/dp/B01G305PK0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1) and some tubing to recirculate while mashing. While it functioned, there was no benefit to efficiency in doing this over stirring the mash and vourlauf-ing 1-2 gallons during the mash period. I've stopped using the pump. Maybe I'm missing something...

PS - if extraction is a problem (is this universal with M&B) the only thing I've found to help is crush finer than your local supply store would and add a bag...any other ideas?

3. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (225) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

I have used the M&B to brew 13 batches now. I experienced low and inconsistent efficiencies for many of those batches. Until recently, I was having my grain crushed by a LHBS. Efficiencies ranged from upper 50s% to 74%. Now that I am milling my own grain, I am getting better than 80% efficiency. The gap on my mill is set to .035. I also use a thinner mash (1.5qts/lb) than the instruction manual for the M&B recommends and "recirculate" every 10 mins during the mash by drawing 12 cups of wort from the bottom valve and pouring it over the top of the mash, then stirring.

Good luck

JayDubTrub likes this.
  4. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (225) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky