Brewery/brewpub locations that are convenient to Amtrak train stations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PapaGoose03, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,712) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Has anyone here ever tried to take a beercation via Amtrak over a 30-45 day time period? I'm considering a Rail Pass with 12 or 18 segments to visit breweries next year. However, to keep the costs down as far as renting a car or using a taxi in smaller cities I'm curious about how many breweries are within easy walking distance (less than 8 blocks) to a brewery and a hotel. I'll compile a list of those that you suggest and use it to help with my planning. When I get to a large mecca of beer places like San Diego, Portland or Seattle I'll rent a car and stay a few extra days, but I'm looking for those highly-recommended breweries that are in the smaller communities that are serviced by Amtrak and likely to be the only brewery in that town. Does anyone know of any breweries that fit this description?

If anyone wants to consider planning their own trip like this I'll start your list by suggesting my hometown brewery, Arcadia, which is about 3 blocks from the train station, and there are three hotels within 3-6 blocks too. Nearby is Kalamazoo which has Bell's Brewery that is near Amtrak (about 3-4 blocks), and I can think of two hotels that are 4-8 blocks from the train. And besides Bell's, there are also three other breweries within that walking area.

Thanks for your help.

AlexM, mcrago, mgross50 and 2 others like this.
  2. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,593) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Pizza Port in Solana Beach, CA. Across the street from the training station.

Mission Brewery in SD is not too far from the train station.. It's a very short trolley ride, a quick cab ride or a decent walk.

3. Providence

Providence Crusader (751) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Trinity Brewhouse is about a half mile from the Amtrak Station in Providence. Unfortunately, Trinity's brews aren't worth a 1/2 of a minute walk, let alone a 1/2 mile walk. Union Station brewery is located closer to the Amtrak station, but I've never been. It's some chain restaurant type place and from what I've heard, even worse than Trinity.

There was a nice brewery not too far from the Amtrak Station in Philly. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but it was good stuff.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. flynn1648

flynn1648 Initiate (190) Nov 4, 2009 Illinois

Shoreline Brewery, Michigan City IN. Good food and the beer is solid as well.

Amtrak drops you off right next to the place.

pudgym29 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  5. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (187) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

Bootleggers new location in Fullerton is about 2 blocks west of the Amtrak station.

If you head to NorCal, beer revolution in Oakland maybe 3 blocks from the amtrak station.

rather and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (567) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I have no suggestions, just wanted to say what an awesome idea that sounds like!

7. teraflx

teraflx Defender (652) Feb 4, 2013 Arizona

Not sure which direction you are heading but Amtrak has a station in a small northern town here in Arizona called Flagstaff. Flagstaff has a few solid breweries such as Lumberyard which is literally 100 feet from the Amtrak station. Beautiful town too!

8. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (640) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Haymarket in Chicago is within walking distance of the Amtrak station. Probably less then a mile. Also not far from city public transit that you could easily take to GI brew pubs, Revolution, Piece, Atlas, etc...

EDIT: hope this fits your decription of small hometown breweries...

ONovoMexicano and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'll be "that guy" from Philly but Amtrak has a station stop at Ardmore and yadda yadda yadda Tired Hands is in Ardmore.

10. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

It's only a 2 mile walk from the Amtrak station in St. Joseph to The Livery as well. Ann Arbor Brewing Company is also not too far from the Amtrak station. Oh and you could stop in Birmingham and go to Griffin Claw if you wanted, they have some decent brews, personally I think Norm's Raggedy Ass IPA is outstanding.

#10 PaulyB83, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    MgoJohnStamos and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. Pers

Pers Initiate (64) Jul 2, 2013 New York
    Deactivated

Peekskill Brewery in Peekskill, NY is right next to the train station. Although it is not an Amtrak station, the nearest one is only 10 miles away (Croton-Harmon) and is only a $6 round trip train ride. Both of these are extremely easy to get to by way of NY Penn Station if you make it to NYC.

otispdriftwood, jrnyc and PapaGoose03 like this.
  12. PapaGoose03

Society

I don't know which direction yet where I might head, but I'm leaning toward something out west. I'd love to see the Rockies from a train car perspective, and hopefully while in the lounge car drinking some good beer.

teraflx likes this.
  13. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Try this:
    http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/vaca...wstone-national-park-chicago-to-san-francisco

I was checking this out a few years ago but decided against it because I had heard the beds/bunks were on the small side and I'm a big guy. I didn't get to the point where I was researching breweries near the train stops or checking to see what the beer selection was on the train so I can't give you any more input.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  14. grimey68

grimey68 Disciple (323) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

Victory is not that far from the Amtrak station in Downingtown.

PapaGoose03 and Providence like this.
  15. Providence

Providence Crusader (751) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Ahhh, I just remembered the place we went to. Nodding Head brewery. Had a solid Berliner Weisse.

16. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

You beat me to it. And it just so happens that the Amtrak route in from the west would pass right through Ardmore, so . . . .

30th St. Station in Philly isn't super close to any breweries that I know of, although you can hop right on the Market-Frankford Line to 2nd street and check out Triumph Brewing Co. You can also hop on the 34 trolley line west out to Dock Street. You are also a not-so-unreasonable walk from either Belgian Cafe or Monk's, if you are also trying to squeeze in beer bars with your breweries, and the above-mentioned Nodding Head is right down the street from Monk's, actually.

Heading west sounds good and all, sure, but it is a lot farther to get out west than it is to go east. You'll spend days just to get from point A to point B. Once you hit the northeast you're never more than a few hours from your next stop, and I'm willing to bet that the trips through Ohio and PA have a lot to offer brewery-wise. Cool idea either way though.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  17. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Spring House Brewing Co. has a place in Lancaster, PA that's less than a mile and a half from the station. Lancaster Brewing Co. is about the same distance from the station as well. Both are easy to find.

I'm pretty sure Victory is just over a mile from the stop in Downingtown.

sajaffe1 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. grimey68

grimey68 Disciple (323) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

Not that Mount Joy is popular destination with people, however there is a brewpub that is essentially steps from the Mt. Joy Amtrak station called Zuckfoltzfus Brewing Company. Mt. Joy is along the Keystone Corridor between Harrisburg and Philly.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

Also in Philly if you take the Amtrak into 30th Street Station then get on the Market Frankford Line going East, get off at Spring Garden, you can walk to Yards.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  20. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

And then you can head over to Mosby's for some really good wings, if you're into that.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (640) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Amtrak had a promotional offer where you could buy a package that allowed for essentially unlimited drinking while on the train. guessing the craft selection isn't that great though, at least not for someone with discriminating standards such as yourself.

quick scan of amtrak's website doesn't show this offer anymore:slight_frown:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  22. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

New Mexico would be an excellent stop.

Marble Brewery is a ten minute walk from the Amtrak station in downtown Albuquerque. Less than two blocks from the station you will also find Chama River Brewing's Microbar (tiny taproom) and Back Alley Draft House which has a few decent beers of their own. The former is a must-hit and the latter two are just because you're already in the area.

Also, from the same Amtrak station you can take our Railrunner ($9 roundtrip) to Santa Fe where you can first make a stop at NM599 and make the short (7 mins.) walk to Santa Fe Brewing's taproom. After that, you can get back on the train and head into Santa Fe. Second Street Brewery's got a taproom in the railyard and Marble and Blue Corn Brewery are a short walk away on the historic plaza.

Marble, Blue Corn and Second Street all won medals at GABF this year and SF Brewing is good but doesn't bother to enter in competitions.

For the record, I'd suggest breaking the no cab rule too and you'd be able to hit La Cumbre (10 minutes from Marble or Amtrak station) and then walk two minutes to Il Vicino Canteen. In this way, you'd have hit almost every brewery worth visiting in New Mexico.

Also, if I'm around, I'm always happy to be a beer guide.

hopfenunmaltz and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,004) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New Brunswick, NJ - an easy 2 block walk from the train station is Harvest Moon (I've had very mixed results there over the years, but at least you won't have to find parking which always starts the experience off on the wrong foot). Another block away is the Old Bay - one of the premier craft beer bars in the state --- if you can get there by the 1990s. :slight_frown:

Further south, take the Princeton shuttle "Dinky" from the Princeton Junction Amtrak station and you'll be a 15 minute or so walk through the University campus to Triumph. (And it'll be a downhill walk for the return trip!).

Both Red Bank's Basil T's and Woodbridge's J. J. Bitings are near those towns' rail stations on the North Jersey Coast Line.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  24. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If you go through the Rockies, there are several by the station in Denver. One in Glenwood Springs. Some in Salt Lake City, don't know how far from the station. Truckee has a brewery, I think. Oakland has some good bars near the station. Beerbybart once you are touring around the bay.

PapaGoose03 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  25. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I think west coast for San Diego to Seattle (Vancouver?) is your best bet. I'm not as familiar with east coast geography so there might be a comparably awesome trip on that side of the country.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  26. qchic

qchic Defender (641) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

Brewer's Art is a few blocks from Penn Station in Baltimore. Definitely unlike any other brewpub I've been to.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  27. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Thanks for sharing that beerbybart link. I'll be in SF in two weeks and will try to take advantage of this.

28. hopfenunmaltz

Society

The MUNI street Cars are handy in the city. BART for around the Bay Area. Different tickets.

29. imtroy703

imtroy703 Disciple (389) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Two small craft breweries in Kenosha WI within .5 miles from Metra. PM me if you go, I will bring you some home brews.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  30. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New York

Crossroads brewery in Upstate NY (athens) is off the Hudson stop, it's just a 10 minute ferry across the river

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  31. wiescins

wiescins Aspirant (234) Dec 16, 2009 Illinois

Founders

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  32. PapaGoose03

Society

That beerbybart looks pretty handy. Thanks for the heads-up. If this trip comes off I'm certain to spend time in some major cities, and that guide looks like something that the local Chamber of Commerce should love and to give an award of some sort to its creators. :slight_smile: It's doing a good job influencing me.

33. hopfenunmaltz

Society

It is a fine resource. Research online where you want to go. In the city of SF the MUNI gets you closer to many, and you can do bus transfers.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

A BA and a railfan perhaps? I thought maybe I was the only one :slight_smile:

-Andrew- likes this.
  35. Shane_Falco

Shane_Falco Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California

If you go up to Portland/Seattle, you should stop in Eugene, OR on your way. Ninkasi, Hop Valley, and Oakshire are all right next to each other in the Whitaker neighborhood near downtown. Only a mile from the Amtrak station.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  36. kiddwhiz

kiddwhiz Initiate (89) Mar 27, 2010 Minnesota

Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company, Glenwood Springs, CO

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina

Took a train from San Diego to Charlotte 2 weeks ago. Wish I had done more research beforehand. Also karl strauss is really close to the downtown amtrak station in San Diego.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  38. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,013) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Lavery Brewing Company is 0.2 miles from the train station in Erie, PA. Also the Brewerie at Union Station is in the building connected to the train station and (I think) it used to be the train station building. I would definitely go to Lavery, which is good stuff but eating dinner at the Brewerie isn't a bad idea. The food there is much better than the beer. (It's drinkable but nothing great)

Potatocrawler likes this.
  39. PapaGoose03

Society

Been there, done that a number of times without Amtrak. :slight_smile:

40. PapaGoose03

Society

I've always had the desire for a lengthy train trip but never the time to do it. Maybe it's about time, and I'm going to try to make it all about beer too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.