Brewery Errors

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Doc_Hops, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Hops

Doc_Hops Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

I was stocking my bottle coolers at my restaurant today when I noticed Dogfish Head 60 Minute was getting low. I went down to the big walk-in to grab another six pack and upon removing it from the sealed case I noticed something odd: one of the bottles were completely empty. I wondered if perhaps there was a crack and the beer leaked out, but the bottle was fine; the crown was sealed perfectly too. I was left a perfect 12oz bottle of air, the good 'ole 5-pack.

This is the first time I've ever come across something like this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has. Is this common? Does anyone else have any wacky experiences like this that have left you scratching your head as this has mine?

2. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,491) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

This same thing happened to me when I bought a case of zombie dust. I contacted the brewery and they said they would replacing with a six pack. Never got around to exchanging it though.

kemoarps likes this.
  3. xk6m6m5x

xk6m6m5x Initiate (0) May 30, 2012 New Jersey

rolling rock does this all the time. we get the 8 pack ponys as 4-6 pack and occasionallky no pack...just empty bottles

4. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (145) Feb 25, 2013 California

problems with the bottling lines. The smaller brewers can't afford much technology, such as laser scanners, scales, etc. But where they lack that, they should hopefully make up for in customer service.

DmouthCaliBrewz and kemoarps like this.
  5. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

these are things that, while they may suck in the moment, reassure us that we are indeed drinking the product of an artisan and not the product of a soulless machine (not that craft brewers don't use machines but u get what I'm saying....). If they have the customer service to make it right, then it should be no big deal. If not......well then thats another story.

wonothesane42 likes this.
  6. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (566) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

John Keeling of Fuller's told me that they once sent out some barrels of ESB incorrectly marked as London Pride. Evidently much jollity ensued in the pubs as drinkers knocked back a 5.5% ABV beer that they thought was only 4.1%.

Geuzedad likes this.
  7. BDEE

BDEE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2012 Wisconsin

Seen it a lot. No biggie. Just save it and show your rep. They'll take care of ya.

Side bar to this story- Tyranena Brewing in WI saves all the bottles that are "short poured"(maybe only 5-10 ounces in the bottle) or the label is crooked, stuff like that. (the brewmaster is very quality conscious) And if your a person who works indirectly for the them (i.e. pour beer at tastings/festivals) or frequent the brewpub enough, you might just end up with a whole case of these what-have-you's. A buddy of mine is one such soul who has tossed more than a few of em my way.

8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,204) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I've had a "good 'ole 5-pack" from Cigar City. Turns out, the bottle with just air was the only beer in the six pack that wasn't overdone.

Geuzedad likes this.
  9. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Virginia

I've never seen an empty bottle that wasn't somehow broken. But I have seen cases with a bottle missing, labels upside down or missing, and lots of random broken glass in packs with no broken bottles.

10. tectactoe

tectactoe Poo-Bah (1,802) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Society Trader

The classic Holiday 5-Pack.

Doc_Hops likes this.
  11. atomic

atomic Aspirant (234) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

The biggest brewery error I've ever seen was Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It wasn't empty, but somehow the liquid inside the bottle was switched with their outgoing sewage. It wasn't even just one bottle, it was all of them!

tronto likes this.
  12. LAD

LAD Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2008 Texas

This gives new meaning to the expression: SHIT HAPPENS!!

13. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

My advice: If you have an empty or partially filled sealed bottle of anything, save it. In a few years, put it on ebay and make a fortune from someone who just has to have one.

14. Doc_Hops

Doc_Hops Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

HA, I do love that commercial

15. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

The ops comment made me think of how you can take a top off of a bottle with your ring (as in, the one on your finger) and put it back on afterward and it looks and feels like it's never been taken off. It's the only way I remove bottle caps anymore. My point is, could it be possible that one of your employees did something like this when they were "thirsty" and just put it back like nothing ever happened?

Just a passing thought.

16. beerinNV

beerinNV Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 Nevada

My guess is they would have gone for something better than 60 minute in that case

Doc_Hops likes this.
  17. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

Dont bother me I am working on a 5 pack

18. besch64

besch64 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Port City Brewery in Virginia has a bottling machine with a busted spout, so something like one out of every twenty bottles or so that go through the machine come out the other side empty. They said that some of their employees have trained themselves to grab the empty bottle (since they come out at even intervals) without even stopping to think about it. That said, I'm sure some empty bottles have escaped into the wild.

19. ALeF

ALeF Initiate (89) Jul 10, 2009 New Hampshire

I have had this happen once in a 12 pack of Redhook ESB.

20. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

Kudos on using a fine old word such as "jollity".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.