Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Brewery Ommegang & HBO announce next Game of Thrones beer: Take the Black Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

(Cooperstown, NY) – Brewery Ommegang and HBO announced today that the highly anticipated second beer in the Game of Throne series – Take the Black Stout – will launch nationwide through bars, restaurants, grocery, and beverage stores at the end of September. The brew is inspired by the Night’s Watch, a military order dressed in black, which holds and guards The Wall – an immense ice fortification protecting the Seven Kingdoms from enemies in the North. The unique label features the sacred Weirwood tree where Jon Snow and other followers of the old gods take their oaths to the Night’s Watch.

[​IMG]

“With the second beer, we wanted a big, substantial brew, something that would stick to your ribs and sustain you through long nights at watch on The Wall,” said Phil Leinhart, brewmaster at Ommegang. “A 7 % ABV stout with Northern Brewer hops, Midnight wheat, roasted barley, and chocolate malt made a perfect foundation for the beer. We also used uncommon spicing, something Ommegang is well known for. For this beer we added licorice root and star anise.”

“Working with Ommegang has been a great experience,” stated Josh Goodstadt, Director of Global Licensing & Retail, HBO. “Ommegang knows how to deliver a high-quality product that is authentic to the Game of Thrones brand and resonates with our audience. That was evident by the great response we received fromfans and beer connoisseurs alike in regards to the first beer, Iron Throne Ale, and we expect the same with the launch of Take the Black Stout.”

“Iron Throne was the largest volume limited-edition beer we’ve ever brewed and the fastest selling,” said Simon Thorpe, President and CEO of Duvel USA/Brewery Ommegang. “We were excited to see the response from beer lovers and fans of the show – it was simply overwhelming for the first beer. Building on that, we’re increasing production of Take the Black Stout.

Take the Black Stout is deep black in hue, with a full tan head. Aromas include dark chocolate, caramel malt, earthy hops, and a touch of fruitiness. Tastes include chocolate, dark coffee, and rich malt character. The beer has light, balanced roastiness aroma and taste. The clean hop bitterness converges with a slight woody character and spiciness.

The finish offers sweet malt character giving way to spicy, earthy, hop bitterness. The beer will be nationally available on draft and in 750ml bottles, for the suggested retail price of $8.50 per bottle, beginning in mid- to late-September, and will be followed by additional beers in 2014. To find a retail location which carries Take the Black Stout near them, consumers can click on the “find a beer” link at http://www.ommegang.com at time of launch.

###

2. VictorWisc

I've now seen it for two weeks in the Boston area, although only in two stores so far ($15). No idea how they got them before September.

And Ommegang's "Find Beer" does not list Take the Black as one of the options.

3. FatherHennepin

Take the Black Stout has not left the brewery yet. It will be out in October. I think you may be confusing it with Iron Throne Blonde ale?

VictorWisc likes this.
  4. regularjohn

only $8.50 awesome, definitely gonna grab some when i see it ! irone throne was pretty damn tasty

5. VictorWisc

Either that or someone faked it! Thanks! I'll check again and report back if I'm in one of those stores again, but I know the Iron Throne (a bottle sitting in front of me right now) and never saw it at that price. I'm just glad now I did not buy whatever that was...

6. ChesterHop

Very much looking forward to this.

7. Kopfschuss

Isn't this a Hammerfall song? \m/

ColinStClaire likes this.
  8. dwagner003

Beer Trader

I wish someone would make a Top Gear Beer.. A show I actually like.

I mean, what goes better with fast driving than booze?

9. fmccormi

Beer Trader

I wonder if they'll make a new glass for this one, too, or re-release the first GoT glass. Either way, should be tasty.

10. denver10

They lost me with the licorice and anise additions.

MattXT, Dactrius, solo103 and 11 others like this.
  11. Hanzo

Not that Top Gear isn't great (well the US version is garbage) but are you saying you don't like Game of Thrones? Madness.

Yep, not a fan of either ingredient but I am still grabbing a bottle.

12. BlackNote

Beer Trader

FYI, says "at time of launch".

VictorWisc likes this.
  13. dwagner003

Beer Trader

Yes, U.S. version is crap..

I've never seen Game of Thrones, but I could see how my statement could misinterpreted.

14. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Same

VonZipper likes this.
  15. VonZipper

Beer Trader

I wish HBO/GoT went with a different brewery

16. LiquidCucumber

Subscriber

They often mention sour ale in the books... I want to see a version of that soon.

Cubieblu and jdmandel like this.
  17. VictorWisc

It's more Dutch than Belgian...

18. VictorWisc

We figured all that out almost two weeks ago...

19. TongoRad

Beer Trader

I'm imagining something similar to Gouden Carolus Noel, maybe with a bit more roast malt. I think I could hit that as a one-of, but definitely not a regular thing.

20. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I am not fond of licorice or anise, but I'll give this a shot. I generally don't like blonde ales (too basic much of the time), but I enjoyed Iron Throne. Ommegang hits most of their stuff out of the park, so I'm hoping this will be no exception.

21. Cubatobaco

Subscriber Beer Trader

Never been a huge fan of Ommegang, but I'll give this a shot if it makes it on the shelves in my area.

22. Buff0910

This one ill pick up. Didn't try the blonde and just saw about 10 bottles still sitting on a shelf last week.

23. BlackNote

Beer Trader

That must have been hard since this was only started a week ago from my comment made on Fri.

24. VictorWisc

That's why I'm not a stand-up comedian.

25. ChanChan

Beer Trader

Trades are coming!!

26. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

That would be sour wine :)

Ironically, beer is not mentioned an awful lot in the series at all.

27. Derranged

I had this at the Ommegang BCTC this weekend. I sampled it in the day then later on at night I had a full pint. It was pretty good but I didn't pay enough attention to give a review. I can't say I remember tasting licorice or anise.

28. CassinoNorth

Beer Trader

Kalamazoo stout is licorice based and it barely shines though the malts.

29. LiquidCucumber

Subscriber

I know the wine is much more prominent, but I definitely saw sour ale as well, I will find it and post an update.

Although, I admit I could be seeing what I want to see :)

LambicPentameter likes this.
  30. Javi_bobby

Gonna grab me a few of these!!

31. CSpoons

Oooh, I'm def gonna try to grab one of these

32. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

I hope they make more of this than they did of Iron Throne. Wow, did people go batshit crazy over trying to get their hands on Iron Throne. I got 3cs at my store, which I was told we were the only store who got more than 2cs (from that particular distributor). I had a 1btl/customer limit on it and sold 27btls in 7 minutes after putting it up for grabs via the Beer Club e-mail. The other 9btls went into other hands.
    I did get to speak with both the Ommegang rep for our area and the VP (owner's son) of the distributor and both said everyone was taken by surprise how popular and in demand the beer was. It sounded like they did plan to brew more of the next 2 versions and the VP asked me how many cases I think I would need next time, so I told him at least 10cs. This way the VP and rep can help give Ommegang an idea of what kind of supply they have to produce. Whether we'll actually get 10cs (I would still have a 2btl/customer limit) when it comes out, I have no idea. Depends on Ommegang.
    I really hope the star anise is muted in the flavour. I hate that anise taste. Licorice root, cool. Star anise, no thanks.

33. dachshunddude86

It's been a little while since I read the books, but I seem to recall them always talking about brown ales whenever beer is mentioned.

34. BradenMK

Tyrion is very fond of beer, maybe slightly more so than he is of wine, and so it is almost always mentioned when he is getting a drink for himself. He is more often than not offered wine by his patrons, and enjoys a good Arbor Gold or somesuch, but he seems to get himself beer when he can.

35. VictorWisc

Iron Throne was hanging around here until last week. It might still be on the shelf at another store where it's been lingering. The local consensus was that it was nice but somewhat overpriced (likely MA distribution interfering) and overhyped. People went for GoT aspect more than for the beer. So my hope is that the new one is not just more available, but more interesting. If that's the case, it won't linger no matter how much is made. Doesn't matter to me--I'll try to get one or two.

36. MCain04

Beer Trader

I was suprised to hear of how much this flew off the shelves in some areas. I don't think I haven't seen it in shops over the past several months. I had a bottle, it was meh, didn't understand the craze in other parts of the US. Maybe Chicago just got a bigger allotment. Funny, when there's no bottle limit, people buy 1; when there's a 2 bottle limit, they buy 2!

VictorWisc likes this.
  37. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

Iron Throne was decent, but I wouldn't say it was something unique or special. We only sold ours for $7.99, which I think we were on the low side compared to others. I heard of places around my store selling it for $9.99 to $12.99. I don't like fleecing my customers. I'll mark up limited beers higher than everyday stuff, but I won't take advantage of people and double up the price.

JT99125 and VictorWisc like this.
  38. BradenMK

Hey, if anyone still has some for a reasonable price, see 9.99 or under, I'd be down to pay for it. I'm a big fan of Ommegang, Belgian Blondes, and of ASoIaF, so, just getting the bottle is awesome enough, but getting a great beer with it? Great.

39. mingo

Beer Trader

Looking forward to this one. Definitely was a fan of Iron Throne. Ommegang is pretty spot on with their stuff. Like some said, the licorice scares me but I am not worried. If it's as easy to snag as Iron Throne was, should have a pleseant handful of them.

40. Daenerys

let me know when they make a "Dracarys" style brew aged on some sort of fiery pepper

I want 5% commission if/when this comes true

WTKeene, marieow and BradenMK like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe