Brewery Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FBarber, Feb 28, 2023.

1. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I purchased a canned beer the other day from Woven Water Brewing Company in Tampa, Florida. Tonight, I was reviewing the beer and I noticed that they have "Life is short, drink it fresh" printed on their cans. I then looked on the bottom of the can to see what the date was and determine how fresh it was, and to my shock there was no date on the can. And honestly, it kind of ticked me off - how are you going to print "Life is short, drink it fresh" on your cans, then not date them, so it's impossible to tell if they are fresh or not ...

Anyway what other things do breweries do that really get your goat so to speak ...

2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,557) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Trader

My pet peeve was when I would go to Half Acre’s Balmoral taproom and buy a few 4 packs from the fridge and the geniuses thought it would be a good idea to stack multiple 4 packs in a small paper bag. Cold beer cans + under strength paper bags + condensation equals the bag failing within 10 minutes on a walk home. Of course when the cans fall out the plastic can holder breaks and you have to somehow carry 8 to 12 loose cans in your arms (some of which inevitably roll into the dirty gutter). I salute you (with middle fingers) Mr. Half Acre taproom shop packaging genius.

AzfromOz, woemad, mrpitman1 and 24 others like this.
  3. Manta200

Manta200 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,108) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Plastic cups! Get's me going every time...

4. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Grand Pooh-Bah (5,000) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree w/ the OP. In today's climate, not having a "canned on" or "experience by" date is simply careless. You can come up w/ a litany of excuses, but none of them can hold weight to the imaginary paper blowing in the wind. Cheers.

5. LSMroz

LSMroz Zealot (590) Jan 25, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Pet peeve is when they price with no rhyme or reason. A 4 oz pour is $4 and a 8 pour is $9. Like really? I'll just get 2 4 oz pours and save the $1 yo.

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,210) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Trader

You no own tote bag?

7. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

I thought this was gonna be another kids and dogs thread.

8. flagmantho

flagmantho Grand Pooh-Bah (5,378) Feb 19, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

There aren't too many of these, but I've been to breweries that only pour one size: pints. No taster trays, I understand, but come on! Let me have a half pour!

sharpski, stevoj, AzfromOz and 29 others like this.
  9. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Give it 2 pages ...

woemad, o29, John_M and 29 others like this.
  10. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,314) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I went to a brewery that refused to serve from the bar if you have a table and server. I know there are a lot of untrustworthy people out there, but I always make sure they have the correct bill because I'm not an a-hole. And what with the staff shortages. Servers have enough anxiety to deal with people yelling at them, so I always tell them to relax. One time I got the wrong beer but it didn't matter because I liked the beer. :grin:

11. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,366) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I’ll second two frustrations expressed above: not having a “canned/bottled on” date is horseshit. And serving it to me in a plastic cup is bullshit.

12. HouseofWortship

Pooh-Bah Trader

Are you pro or anti brewery’s that serve dogs?

woemad, o29, TCgenny and 4 others like this.
  13. HouseofWortship

Pooh-Bah Trader

Yes, but I don’t carry one around with me 24/7. my trips were usually impromptu on the way home from work if the weather was nice.

14. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne Savant (1,157) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Society Trader

Pricing crowlers nearly as expensive as a growler kinda grinds my gears.

I.e. $9 for 32oz or $12 for 64oz... A no brainer to me personally.

Also reserved seating for the owners that I've never seen once in nearly 1 year of consistent outings. Reserved to the point that the bartenders flat out won't let anyone sit there.

If you're a owner, pick a night and stick to it. Several even!

But I'm my hours long stay every damn Tues, I've never seen them.

So open it up for the common folk!

*End of soapbox*

15. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (4,682) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Music so loud you can't hold a conversation.

With rumors of 3 Floyds brewpub possibly re-opening, this one is timely!

16. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,881) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’ve seen breweries like Midwest Coast put a date sticker (like a price sticker) on the plastic 4-6 can holders versus ink stamp cans. The problem is if you buy a single (onsite/to go) or take off your sleeve at home, you are SOL. N/A in your case, since if they have the ability to message ink stamp your cans, they should date stamp as well.

Two more date stamp peeves - Best By (if not accompanied by the actual date bottled/canned) and the large number of European imports with undecipherable or no date codes. There are dozens of European beers at my local markets I would buy if I had any confidence they were not 6-12-24 plus months old. Some have literally been sitting there at room temps for at least a year, and God only knows how long they existed before arriving at the store.

I typically just avoid going to or buying from any business rather than suffer through it. I'd say breweries which don't enforce reasonable restrictions on any patron ("adults" and the children and or animals they arrive with) are ones I pass. For instance, one brewery allowed two patrons dogs to grind their asses on seats and sit/prance on the table they were sitting at. It was gross, the staff saw and did or said nothing to the two entitled women dog owners. Haven't been back.

There are also a few bars and breweries that imposed their own ultra version of "the science" and or engaged in political fundraisers I wasn't comfortable with, and have moved on. Ditto breweries with well known and documented ill-treatment of staff. I'll stick with the 98-99% bars and breweries out there I feel good about supporting.

AzfromOz, woemad, vabeerguy and 11 others like this.
  17. snaotheus

snaotheus Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,308) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Worst for me is Holy Mountain. They have stamping equipment; they use it to print little joke-like phrases on the bottom of their cans. But not a date. Infuriates me.

18. NorsemanOne

Society Trader

Like Rogue, but bad haha

woemad, vabeerguy, snaotheus and 2 others like this.
  19. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,757) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

No dates, 99% no buy. If Bills Best can date then anyone else can too.

Put up something to kill the sound. Cement, metal beams , wood floors are a horrible idea with no baffles. I want to talk to people when I’m at a brewery/bar.

I’m sure I have more vitriol in me but I’m really enjoying this beer and music right now.

Enjoy

20. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,159) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

How about the breweries with date stamping equipment but so many of the dates are smeared or the stamper stutters and over-prints so you're left to try to read gibberish.

Or another issue is the beer list on the wall behind the bar is so low that people constantly block the view to read it.

21. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah

A big Fuck You to that scenario of reserved seats for the owner. Never have I seen that and if I did I’m sure I would sit down anyhow and have words to say when I was told to get up.

Enjoy

22. NorsemanOne

Society Trader

Hands down my dude. It's like that at both of their locations(soon to be 3) and I think it's a joke.

Now if I saw them there each day/week/month/amount of time at the SAME time consistently. (i.e. bartender knows me personally and my pals show up Tues, 8-10 on the dot) Sure, go for it. But blocking it the rest of the time you're not there is a dick move imo.

23. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah

Why does the owner need a special spot at the bar? If it’s open sit down. If not be like the customers at your bar and stand or get a table. Honestly if I owned a brewery I’m probably not showing up to drink at the bar too often if at all.

Enjoy

AzfromOz, vabeerguy, micada and 9 others like this.
  24. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Grand Pooh-Bah (3,624) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

25. mactrail

mactrail Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,843) Mar 24, 2009 Washington

You ever been to GABF?
    Which reminds me, anybody remember the tinkle of glass on the concrete floor and the cheer, or jeer from the crowd?

vabeerguy, sulldaddy, Sandis and 6 others like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

HM makes nice beer, but damn I hate going there. Plain white room, always shitty metal music playing, and filled with Seattle tech bros.

stevoj, AzfromOz, vabeerguy and 7 others like this.
  27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,473) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

Hate when the tap list are all beers I’ve had or I can get on the shelf.

stevoj, AzfromOz, BSW and 13 others like this.
  28. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,427) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My pet peeves go in a different direction. I look on the other side of the wall from the bar. Untidy process areas, poorly maintained equipment, minimal or complete lack of GMPs. I've seen cleaning chemicals stored on racks above grain bags. Customers (or staff) with tasting glasses and food in the brewing space.

Obviously not every brewery can afford a comprehensive quality program, but the basics are pretty much common sense. I know I'm sensitive to these thing and can't help but notice them after 43 years in the fruit juice and food industry and ever-increasing involvement with food quality and food safety standards and programs.

I've seen a lot of OSHA violations as well, some pretty troubling.

29. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,327) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

If the brewery makes me buy their growler, no sale. Your beer isn't worth storing another growler bottle.

+1
    Ditto to regular bars and restaurants. Noise pollution happens inside too.

#29 Ranbot, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  30. bret27

bret27 Pooh-Bah (2,818) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Maybe Similar to what was already said but pricing the growler equal to can prices.
    If I get the same ounces of beer for a growler fill or a 4pk, there’s not much to motivate me to fill the growler. So many more advantages to having a 4pk.

31. bret27

bret27 Pooh-Bah (2,818) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Agreed. Made a stop out of my way last year and was very underwhelmed.

32. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,384) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

baby strollers and ugly dogs

cute dogs and stay

bret27, AzfromOz, o29 and 7 others like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,520) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Give it time.

Personally I hate when people bring their peeves. I get it, it's your pet and you want to spend time with it. But make time to nurture your peeves and leave the rest of us our public space to get drunk enough to forget we have babies

34. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,151) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

With my highly trained sniffer, I hate encountering cleaning supply smells at a brewery, restaurant or bar. Too many places don’t properly rinse their glasses. I also sometimes notice it lingering after people wipe down tabletops and counters.

35. Spade

Spade Maven (1,404) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

TVs. If I wanted to watch TV I'd stay home and drink.

36. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Pooh-Bah (1,796) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a friend who rates a lot of places and always mentioned the condition of the rest rooms in his reviews. His reasoning is simple; if the place does not care enough to keep them clean, they are probably careless and taking shortcuts in other areas of their establishment.

37. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Zealot (625) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

When the brewery serves pints from cans they are trying to get rid of instead of from the tap......and charging $7 or $8 for said pint when the 4-pack of the same beer is $13.

38. jesskidden

jesskidden Pooh-Bah (2,969) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In this day and age, it's kinda shocking that some people still keep them as pets in the first place. Let 'em go - sometimes it you who are the chained-up one. Peeves should be allowed to run free. You know, like dogs:

(and unlike our canine friends, there's no record of a peeve getting hit by a car).

AzfromOz, o29, TCgenny and 5 others like this.
  39. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,470) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina

Yeah man I hate those as well… but there are some weird health department rules about glassware, grease traps, and serving food that make it a challenge in some cases to be allowed to use glass (not plastic).

40. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,470) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina

Depends on the price if you don’t bring your own growler (in the case of the crowler, you are essentially buying the vessel and the beer).

galttfwo, ChicagoJ and NorsemanOne like this.