Brewery Updates in Minnesota (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by islay, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjryan

mjryan Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I’d be willing to bet, they will go for a nearly identical vibe in the space. Who knows though.

2. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (51) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

For those who haven't been....
    [​IMG]

3. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

For what it's worth I read an article recently in Park Rapids Enterprise on the new brewery coming to the downtown area. I can't find a link on their website. Seemed to be written pre-corona virus. They were anticipating an opening this summer. Home brewers from the area (the guys dad is a home brewer too since the early 2000's) but the couple lived out in Colorado for awhile and seemed to be aware of what good beer is so I'm hopeful.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

5. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (56) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I havent heard of you guys I'll have to follow you on social media.

6. Crazytrain83

...and if it doesn't happen, it's because too many people were upset that it would ruin the "scenic cow pastures". :rolling_eyes:

7. Crazytrain83

Interesting. Considering Roundhouse's entire brewery, including all their beer names, is based on their current location at the railroad station.

But that old Gull Dam location is pretty sweet.

Didn't Gull Damn require anyone who bought the building to keep the name?

Xanthophhyll likes this.
  8. Xanthophhyll

Xanthophhyll Initiate (14) Sep 25, 2017 Minnesota

Well this ought to be interesting. Roundhouse brewery has such atmosphere that won't easily translate to Gull Dam, but gull dam I'm happy to hear that somebody is going to take over. Gull Dam is such a beautiful building as well and it's a shame to let it sit empty. I'll stop on every trip North (and back South) if this happens.

9. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

From the article, it wasn't clear to me they are moving. Maybe they are opening a second location?

Xanthophhyll and Chaz like this.
  10. Crazytrain83

Admittedly, I didn't pay the 99 cents to read the article. :slight_smile:

I hit Roundhouse a few years back, and thought the beer was fairly tasty. But I always picture them a distant 3rd in the area behind Jack Pine and Big Axe. Do they even distribute?

Chaz likes this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,152) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

If they are a distant third, why should they bother to distribute! Other than to appease the contingent of un-serious lookie-lous buying singles at OMBIBULOUS, Scott’s, ZIPP’s, etc, etc.

The notion that all Minnesota TAPROOMS should be available at all Cities-based bottleshops is at best misguided. GO visit them! Actualize the dream of Beer Tourism!!!

grantcty and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  12. Crazytrain83

Ummm...Not sure where I said any of that. But my point was that I'm not sure the 3rd biggest taproom in Brainerd/Baxter/Nisswa needs a second location. Especially if they don't distribute.

I apologize for my ambiguity.

(And I believe I actually said that I did visit them.)

Chaz likes this.
  13. Chaz

Society Trader

You’re right, I’m wrong. Carry on.

14. Xanthophhyll

Hmmm...opening a second location only 15 miles away from their current location would be interesting. I love both buildings....

15. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

Not a huge fan of Roundhouse....very inconsistent but not sure I would say a distant 3rd. Jackpine is far and way the only legit top notch brewery in that area. Big Axe and Roundhouse are in the same ballpark for me....decent enough to stop in and try somethings at. Probably not a places I'm buying beer to take home from....exceptions for both places where I have but not usually..

Roundhouse currently has a great place but it is off the main drag...people coming though town on 371 don't go near it....the location itself right off 371 and awesome facility of Gull Dam might lead to much greater things...

Xanthophhyll, JMN44 and Chaz like this.
  16. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (50) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Minnebrew and maximum12 like this.
  17. MNAle

Society

18. Crazytrain83

So.... the city gave him even more money, but stipulated that he has to hire low-income people and ex-cons. Interesting.

(Doesn't almost everyone looking for job qualify as "low income"?)

19. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,863) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

There's a lot of competition for that title.

Though St. Paul's street maintenance is probably on par with Mogadishu.

20. TheLabMN

TheLabMN Initiate (0) May 7, 2020

Just wanted to let you know that we're running a little contest to guess the name of a brewery coming very soon to the Twin Cities. They're working hard to finish their taproom, but their first beer is available at The Lab right now. We'll be officially announcing the brewery on 5/15. You can check out the contest on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thelabminnesota/

josephwa and HammsMeASAP like this.
  21. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (141) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

How about “How Stupid Do You Have To Be Brewing” in honor of opening the 225th brewery in a saturated state where most make no profit, all during and after a pandemic where tap room volume will surely be down.

or “Late to the Party Brewing”

or “This Won’t Last Brewing”

or “Fun Way to Lose my Money Brewing”

hopb4fg and JMN44 like this.
  22. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (141) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

JFC, nothing like giving your total support straight out of the gate...Now tell us how you really feel:wink:
    All the best to the new brewery!

23. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (56) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

Haha those are pretty good but you missed "One trick Hazy Brewing"

24. TheLabMN

TheLabMN Initiate (0) May 7, 2020

As many of you may have guessed, the mystery brewer is Arbeiter Brewing! Check out this story in Minnesota Monthly By Jason DeRusha to learn more!
    https://www.minnesotamonthly.com/fo.../opening-soon-arbeiter-brewing-in-minneapolis

You can grab crowlers of their new Westkust IPA at The Lab today from 3-6pm. Pre-order online at https://thelabmn.com/shop

25. MNAle

Society

From the linked article, the brewer's description of their first beer:

Inspired by the “old school” IPA flavor profiles from the West Coast of the USA, this IPA achieves the vintage big citrus and resin hop flavors typically found with classic American hops, but does so with clever usage of old-world ingredients.

When did WCIPAs become "old school"? :stuck_out_tongue:

TrailsandAles likes this.
  26. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (23) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

27. Xanthophhyll

28. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (70) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Not sure if this one has been mentioned on this thread but Elm Creek Brewing is close to opening in Champlin. Couldn't find a whole lot of details outside of it being owned by a father and son team and that its taking over the old Ruby Tuesday spot off 169.

Elm Creek Brewing
    June 7 at 1:52 PM ·
    Hey everyone!
    We are so excited to be opening so soon and we can't wait to have you all out. Our doors will open on the 19th and our grand opening celebration will be on the 20th! We will start taking reservations soon so stay tuned for more details in the very near future!

29. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Pretty damn close to my house..... Oh, no, that sucks.....

Eggman20 likes this.
  30. Chaz

Society Trader

Take one for the team & drink it up!

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  31. Beerfordays2

Beerfordays2 Initiate (11) Oct 24, 2019 Minnesota

Grand Rounds Brewing in Downtown Rochester closed on May 30. They have moved the Brewing Equipment to Pine Island, to the future home of South by SouthEast Brewing. So as of now there are five breweries in Rochester. Prime Stein Brewery had hoped to open in 2020, but ran into lease problems, so it doesn't look like they will be starting up in 2020.

ZAP, morimech and Chaz like this.
  32. edbeered

edbeered Devotee (432) Oct 29, 2004 Minnesota

Rumor is that Saint Paul Brewing is closing within a month. Now that I'm FINALLY seeing their product in cans!

33. RAH-RAH-Beer

RAH-RAH-Beer Initiate (29) Jan 1, 2019 Minnesota

I was at Saint Paul Brewing Saturday for the food trucks and they only were open for Growlers.

34. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (155) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

35. MNAle

Society

36. Jaimeson

Jaimeson Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2007 Minnesota

Per Facebook they have now closed.

37. Chaz

Society Trader

Pretty sure they will re-brand and re-open.

edbeered likes this.
  38. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Again.....

BeerDrinkinGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.