Brewery Updates in Minnesota (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by islay, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAH-RAH-Beer

RAH-RAH-Beer Initiate (29) Jan 1, 2019 Minnesota

maximum12 and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  2. RAH-RAH-Beer

The Herkimer Pub & Brewery announced on Sunday that it will close its doors for good this week after 20 years in Minneapolis's Lyn-Lake area.

The bar's final sendoff will be on Wednesday, according to a post on social media. Herkimer had been closed since April due to COVID-19.

3. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Mixed feelings on this one. There were early craft long before it was really a thing. I think the issue was they never really did much to keep up with the times and let many others pass them by. Unfortunately you can't sit still in this industry, pandemic or no pandemic. Still, sorry to see them go.

JMN44 likes this.
  4. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

Yeah their quality did not match that of those who came out in their era for the most part. Nowadays they'd fit right in with a lot of these mediocre places hitting the scene though.

5. ZAP

Society

Stopped and looked in at the Hackensack Brewery yesterday (official name escapes me right now) and it had a sign saying opening soon. Might have said within two weeks but I can't remember. Place looked nice inside and it is looking out at the lake there and bike trail. Hope the beer is good. Sources told me last December they had not yet reached out to Portage down the block for help or guidance yet. Maybe they have since. I would sure hope so. Portage knows what they are doing and are more than willing to help others get rolling.

6. RAH-RAH-Beer

Rendezvous Brewing

7. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

That, and the effect that Moto-i had on any sort of off sale availability

Chaz likes this.
  8. Beerfordays2

Beerfordays2 Initiate (11) Oct 24, 2019 Minnesota

This week The Fillmore County Journal reported that In Spring Grove, MN Pat Longmire, the owner of the grocery store in town asked the city council for, and received a conditional use permit for a Brewpub. The article stated the Brewpub will share space with Jo's Coffee House on Main St. No time frame or name of the Brewpub was reported.

Victory_Sabre1973 and maximum12 like this.
  9. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (56) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

Seriously how many times can they rebrand? I will say Im not surprised they are not making money because really the beer is less than spectacular. Every time I go here I leave with disappointment. Its a shame they cant get stuff worked out because the space is great (even though it smells like musty basement) but what do you expect when half the building is still run down from years of neglect.

For the life of me, I dont know why they dont attempt to brew a Hamm's homage beer or something, I mean duh.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  10. mjryan

mjryan Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

And that post apocalyptic bombed out beer garden is stellar. Seriously though, how can a brewery be around this long, and make such mediocre product? It’s baffling.

11. HawkEye19

Same question can be asked about alot of different breweries in the metro area. Now none have been around as long as Fla...St Paul Brewing, but same question applies.

12. mjryan

I was speaking more towards their longevity, and I’m not sure what you mean by a lot. I can think of a handful in the metro that are at about SPBs level, which I wouldn’t call a lot.

13. HawkEye19

True. "A lot" is overstating it.

14. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Their beer was ok, but nothing special.

That being said, I'm really sad to see St Paul/Flat Earth go. That's where my friends had their wedding reception back in 2016. They live fairly close to there, and a lot of times when I was in the cities, we met up there. I always had a good time there.

Chaz likes this.
  15. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,036) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

The most inconsistent beer from a brewery that lasted this long. When they first open and sold their beer in stores in bombers, it was playing Russian Roulette. One bottle could be fabulous, the next one flat, and a third, a gusher. Never knew until you cracked the bottle. I was always skeptical of their beer after that experience and it always carried a stigma. About a decade ago they had an IPA that caused a bit of stir in this community. I liked it and their coffee porter/stout.

ZAP and maximum12 like this.
  16. BeerDrinkinGuy

I think most people that went there were from the neighborhood and dont know much about craft beer off flavors and diacetyl. Id like to see some other people come in and make it a brewery again.

ZAP likes this.
  17. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (50) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Looks like two of the three cofounders of
    ONE Fermentary & Taproom have left per social media. Head brewer Ramsey Louder is out and Joe Alton relinquished ownership in April and quit today. Covid definitely impacted their business but sounds like this was more about the original vision not living up to its intended goal.

ONE opened in Nov 2019 so this has got to be the quickest decline of ownership that I’m aware of :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB6iRJRnZ_I/?igshid=13grngea7fpj9

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB61wSvFSFi/?igshid=jwfe8csg1pg2

Difficult to say where this brand & business goes next or if it will continue.

18. BeerDrinkinGuy

Yeah when I first heard about this I was confused because why would you leave a place you worked at known for being (a minority owned brewery).
    But then I read an article in the Mpls/St Paul Business Journal about how they were struggling and now Im confused on why they left. Did they leave because they weren't making money due to the shutdown or because they were making money off of minority something or rather which I thought was the reason for its existence?
    I guess Alton is going to make a post about what was going on?

19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,928) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

20. BeerDrinkinGuy

stmoorea likes this.
  21. Windvaner

22. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (67) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

23. RAH-RAH-Beer

Bus Stop Burgers and Brewhouse which opened, but I never heard of them selling their own brews is now marked Permanently Closed in Google and when you click on their website it says that it is expired. Does anyone know if Google is correct?

24. morimech

Society

I tried calling the number and it is no longer available and their Facebook page has been removed.

25. morimech

Society

56 Brewing Taproom is temporarily closed while they restructure.

26. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (443) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Elm Creek brewing has "temporarily" closed after just opening. Likely because the beer they had on offer at opening was TERRIBLE and they are trying to improve? Maybe hire a new brewer?

27. RAH-RAH-Beer

Sounds like they ran out of beer. When i was there three days after opening they only had three beers. Two of the beers on their original list were out. I liked the 7-10 split Hazy IPA.

28. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,152) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Word on the street is that they might sell.

It could be a great opportunity for someone looking for a historic backdrop for their production facility and (eventually) taproom.

29. ZAP

Society

Stopped at Rendezvous Brewery in Hackensack this weekend. Two beers on tap. Dry Stout and a Hackensack Pale Ale. The stout came across a little sweet for a dry stout and not as dry as you'd expect. The Pale Ale was somewhat balanced but leaned towards a honeyed like malt. They didn't seem off or poorly brewed....just a little different takes.

Facility is nice. Great location. I don't want to form too much of an opinion off two beers but it seems to be a nice addition to Hackensack. Not the type of place I'd go out of my way for in this part of the state like (Bemidji, Jack Pine, Rapids Brewing or Portage) but solid enough to enjoy a pint or two if in the area. Of course this is an early assessment off two beers and I'm in the neighborhood enough to give it many more visits to assess.

30. Windvaner

maximum12 likes this.
  31. HawkEye19

Is there a Cliff's Notes version of WTF happened there?

32. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

pandera likes this.
  33. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (71) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

and that’s the official end of ONE ( what a fiasco this turned into ).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCULVd6neDx/?igshid=16m0a7wdwlpu1[/QUOTE]

ONE majority owner stated in a post on 7/2 they planned to close a week and reopen 7/7. New post 7/6 states they are closed indefinitely, so we shall see. So I guess that gift certificate I bought to try and support a diverse local brewery is now worthless?

34. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (54) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I was kind of hoping to try ONE's version of Surly Hell fermented in that concrete foeder. Oh well.

35. BeerDrinkinGuy

I still never made it to One, I guess oh well now. Also I was kinda scared to go because someone here posted back when they opened a sample glass was $5 or $7 ?? That alone is why I wont miss the place.

Syzygy00 likes this.
  36. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,325) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

SipIt, pandera, stmoorea and 2 others like this.
  37. mjryan

Chaz likes this.
  38. mjryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.